Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2747
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:10 AM

I have been really testing this hoping the final releases would really improve over the betas. But for me this program is still very slow. Am I alone? I've gotten used to the interface and am dealing with the few things I don't like and patiently waiting for the tools I miss. But speed is still a real issue in the overall performance of Logos 4.

I have an AMD Athlon X2 with Win7 and 2 GB of Ram on this pc.

My laptop is a Core 2 Due with 4 GB of Ram and Win 7.

My home desktop is a quad core with 8 GB of ram on Win7.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:12 AM

I absolutely agree. The overall feel is quite sluggish.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:13 AM

Kevin. I can agree with you here. I wish things were more instantly responsive.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:22 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Kevin. I can agree with you here. I wish things were more instantly responsive.

This is definitely on the priority list, it's just not fully optimized yet.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:23 AM

George Allakhverdyan:
This is definitely on the priority list, it's just not fully optimized yet.

great to hear. Thanks George.

Posts 70
Andrew Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:26 AM

I'd have to agree as well. I find some of the simplest tasks have an odd delay. If I'm switch between tabs there is quite often a couple second delay while it thinks... this can be annoying. I'd have to say I love almost everything about L4, but would agree that the experience would improve considerably with a more instantly responsive experience.

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:28 AM

Try disabling resident shield on your antivirus program (if you have one) for your  Libronix directory.  It made a difference for some things for me - still slow, but a faster shade of slow:-)

Posts 1
Igor Swiderski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:08 PM

Yep. Works a little faster without resident shield. Thanks Greg! 

Posts 25375
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:48 PM

Igor Swiderski:

Yep. Works a little faster without resident shield. Thanks Greg! 

I hope you didn't disable Resident Shield as opposed to telling Shield to ignore certain folders!?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:05 PM

Logos 4 is the slowest program on both my laptop and desktop - far slower than any of Adobe CS4 stuff (photoshop, flash, illustrator etc.) that used to hold that record on my machine.

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 4:11 PM

frederick harrell:

Logos 4 is the slowest program on both my laptop and desktop - far slower than any of Adobe CS4 stuff (photoshop, flash, illustrator etc.) that used to hold that record on my machine.

Frederick,

Logos 4 is designed for newer computers (within approximately the last year). We do have a list of system specs listed on our website that are the best recommendations for running Logos 4 and I listed those below.

• Core 2 Duo 2 GHz
  • 3GB+ RAM
  • Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • DVD drive
  • 1280X1024 display
  • 512MB DirectX10 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • 20 GB hard drive space on local drive (May require additional space depending on your library).
  • Broadband internet connection

If your computer does not have these specs associated with it, Logos 4 will run slower. Another thing that you want to look for is to see if the software is still indexing. If the indexing process is still in progress, it will run slower until it is complete. If you need more information about indexing, it can be found here. If your computer is up to date with the specs listed above and indexing has completed, the best thing to do would be to upload logs from your computer. For steps for how to get Logos 4 logs, click here and for steps for how to upload the logs to this forum, click here.

If you do have any other questions, reply to this forum post.

Deborah Mickens
Logos Bible Software, Marketing
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 62
Lester Busald | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:04 PM

Deborah, my laptop has

Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 3 GB Ram,  Windows Vista home premium, DVD drive, 1280X1024 display.

Not sure of the 512 MB Dirext X10 graphics

I have 127 GB free hard drive left, running Hi speed cable internet

And running Logos 4 is slow, very slow when writing notes.  It has about 3 or 4 second delays when changing layouts.

Les

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 4:47 AM

Try changing your preferences to make yourself the administrator for Logos. Also, go to program settings and turn internet off. This helped greatly on mine.

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:30 AM

Lester Busald:
It has about 3 or 4 second delays when changing layouts.

Les, you have a machine that is quite adequate, but the video capability might be a sore point. Many here have suggested that  GB is helpful.

You can see from my signature what I am running. 

On this machine it also takes about 3-4 seconds to change layouts. I assume this is due to the WPF graphics presentation?

I have also made sure that Logos is not part of "resident shield."

Regards, SteveF

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:02 AM

Lester Busald:

Deborah, my laptop has

Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 3 GB Ram,  Windows Vista home premium, DVD drive, 1280X1024 display.

Not sure of the 512 MB Dirext X10 graphics

I have 127 GB free hard drive left, running Hi speed cable internet

And running Logos 4 is slow, very slow when writing notes.  It has about 3 or 4 second delays when changing layouts.

Les

Les,

The video card does make a difference as the speed of the video card can cause Logos 4 to run faster or slower. To determine the speed of your video card, click on your Start button and in the "Start Search" box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotes) and at the top of the window, under Programs, you should see either "DirectX Diagnostic Tool" or "dxdiag". Click on and a new windows should appear. In this window, you will see some tabs across the top of the screen. Click on "Display" and under "Device", look for "Total Memory" or "Approx. Total Memory". Next to that, you will see a number, if that is below the recommended 512MB, then Logos 4 will run slower.

Here are some links to other forum posts that talk about the video card:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/16138.aspx
http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6200.aspx
http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8763.aspx

Deborah Mickens
Logos Bible Software, Marketing
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 97
Carey G. Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 11:57 AM

to run as 'administrator' really helped my use of L4!

Thanks Michael

if we meet and you forget me,

you have lost nothing.

But if you meet Jesus and forget Him,

you have lost everything.

Posts 2
Chris Dixon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 9:54 AM

I have Logos on a high-end desktop machine (Core i7-920 processor, ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card, 6 GB of tri-channel RAM, newly installed Windows 7 64 bit, and 20 megabit fiber internet connection).  It still runs very slowly.  It takes a LONG time to start up, and clicking on the home button causes another long delay. I've cut way back on the number of open windows in my bible study view, but it still takes a number of seconds just to switch from passage guide to exegetical guide for example.  I hope there are more performance fixes are in the works.

Posts 5572
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 11:00 AM

Chris Dixon:

I have Logos on a high-end desktop machine (Core i7-920 processor, ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card, 6 GB of tri-channel RAM, newly installed Windows 7 64 bit, and 20 megabit fiber internet connection).  It still runs very slowly.  It takes a LONG time to start up, and clicking on the home button causes another long delay. I've cut way back on the number of open windows in my bible study view, but it still takes a number of seconds just to switch from passage guide to exegetical guide for example.  I hope there are more performance fixes are in the works.

Chris, here are my specs, which sound very similar to yours (though you didn't report free HD space - a critical spec). But I don't have the slow-down issues you do:

Dell Studio XPS 435MT; Win7 64bit Home Premium ; 6GB DDR3 RAM; 465GB free HD space on C:\; CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz (8MB L3 cache); Video ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB)

Starting L4 with 24 tabs (3 visible in parallel panes), with several note files and visual filters running, took less than one minute. Switching tabs takes less than 2 seconds, the first time, for most tabs (some take longer). The second time goes much more quickly. Yes loading the home page does take a long time for me (just loaded it in 15 seconds - so maybe it just seems long), but I almost never look at it anyway.

This suggests a software issue, and among the candidates are anti-virus/anti-malware programs, so-called 'accelerators' (RAM and/or HD), any other background tasks/services that are not standard in Windows, and possible conflicts with other software you have running. Early on some found a lot of relief by turning off the Tablet PC Input Service (if it helps, then you may want to set it to "manual" or "disabled"), but I don't know if that's still the case. (Tablet PC Input Service is set to Automatic in a default installation, regardless of hardware configuration.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 62
Lester Busald | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 11:46 AM

Try changing your preferences to make yourself the administrator for Logos. Also, go to program settings and turn internet off. This helped greatly on mine.

Michael, how do I change to administor for Logos.  Also where do I turn internet off?

Thanks,  Les

Posts 25375
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 12:09 PM

Lester Busald:
Michael, how do I change to administor for Logos. 

Please note that setting "run as administrator" on the L4 shortcut is not recommended by Logos developers and WILL lead to problems when trying to update L4.

Lester Busald:
Also where do I turn internet off?
In Tools | Program Settings in L4.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS