Resizable results-list font - before Christmas?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 3 2011 2:44 AM | Locked

Each time I search using Logos I find myself wishing the search results font was larger.  I've been wishing (and asking) for this ever since I switched from Windows to Mac.  I understand there is some OS X bug that the Logos team is loathe to work around, but I have to ask "How do other applications get around this?"  I use many apps that allow changing font size of text that appears in lists and they all work without issue.  Even the main resource panels are able to render text in all sorts of font sizes with all sorts of rich formatting.  Creating a custom-rendered (list) view using Cocoa truly isn't that hard.

Is this something we'll see before Christmas 2011?  Or should I give up waiting and asking?

Other parts of Logos (autoinfo window, text compare, etc) will all benefit from the effort that might be expended on making this work.  Given that searching is one of the primary use cases for Logos (well, for me, at least) please can this be prioritized?

Posts 82
David L Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 7:43 AM | Locked

Yeah. I too struggle with this (old eyes). I assume that this is not so much of a priority for the developers since they are all young enough to be able to see the very small type. The challenge of trying to read Hebrew vowel pointing at such a small size is almost enough to make me resort to using Greek or (horror) English.

Weak attempts at humor aside, it would be nice to see this fixed soon.

– DLA

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 10:37 AM | Locked

I am checking on the status of this project. As a limited workaround, using Ctrl+mouse wheel to zoom out will increase the size, but also will hide parts of a panel or text out of view. If you opened Search in a floating window, though, you could move the window to view more of the text as necessary.

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 11:19 AM | Locked

Yes, I'm aware of OS X's zoom and I use it at times, but its not a long-term solution. I very much look forward to this being resolved (hopefully before Christmas :-) )

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 5:44 PM | Locked

I'm pretty desperate for this too. My eye sight has deteriorated dramatically in the last few months, and I suspect staring at Logos' far too small letters is the main cause for it. (And that includes this forum, where it's also impossible to enlarge the font enough, since that makes the text wider than the screen.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 6:04 PM | Locked

fgh:
(And that includes this forum, where it's also impossible to enlarge the font enough, since that makes the text wider than the screen.)

If you're using Firefox, you can select Zoom Text Only from the View->Zoom menu, and it will make the text bigger without making the page wider.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 7:13 PM | Locked

Agree with you Stuart. Many others are waiting with us I'm sure.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 7:24 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
If you're using Firefox, you can select Zoom Text Only

I'm not, but it turns out Safari's got the same option. Unfortunately, it seems to have nasty side effects, like messing up my main news sites considerably. Plus it wastes an awful lot of screen space on the sides. I want sites wider, I just don't want them so wide as to continue out of the screen. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 4:40 AM | Locked

I've started using the sentence diagramming tool a fair bit.  Apart from it's slowness the primary issue I have with it is that it too uses a tiny fixed-size font (it truly is tiny on my 17" Macbook Pro at 1920x1200 resolution).  Resource windows are resizable and I have them set to a largish size... it's just the views / panes that use this tiny fixed-size font that are hurting. Resizable fonts, same as the Windows version, are truly a must in an application like this, especially as more and more time is spent in front of Logos.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 7:42 AM | Locked

Observation: Apple's program wide font scaling has some issues; Files forum => Logos 4 Mac AppleScript Applications includes program display scaling: bit easier to type in desired Logos 4 Mac scaling factor % (e.g. 125).  Also can easily reset program display scaling to 100 % (launch Applescript application, press enter 3 times).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 7:39 AM | Locked

Hi Melissa,

Have you had time to check on the status of this project yet?  I am eager to hear an "official" word from a Logos representative... 

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:44 AM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:

Hi Melissa,

Have you had time to check on the status of this project yet?  I am eager to hear an "official" word from a Logos representative... 

Logos developers have begun work on what's needed to work around the Mac OS limitations; however, it doesn't appear a solution will be ready for version 4.3.

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 10:11 AM | Locked

Ah.  Knowing that commitments to delivery dates are forbidden let me ask anyway, as per the subject of this post, can we expect this before Christmas '11?

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 10:27 AM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:

Ah.  Knowing that commitments to delivery dates are forbidden let me ask anyway, as per the subject of this post, can we expect this before Christmas '11?

Sorry, unknown at this time.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:21 PM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
Logos developers have begun work on what's needed to work around the Mac OS limitations; however, it doesn't appear a solution will be ready for version 4.3.

Any chance we might at least get a size control for Collections? Is the coding needed there much different to the one used for the size control in Library?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS