Citing EEC

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13
Matt Hauck | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 3 2011 9:52 PM

Greetings!

Just received EEC today and echo the same positive sentiments as everybody else. Excited!!

Yet, I've noticed that there are no page numbers in it. Seeing as this is intended to be a more scholarly work, I foresee it being referenced / cited a lot, and seeing as page numbers are the most standard way to do this for such works (as verse references might span pages), yet this is not a printed book  and therefore there are no pages, what will be the recommended citation method for the EEC?

Thanks.

Matt Hauck | 郝柏昇 matthauck.typepad.com

Posts 2922
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2011 9:55 PM

Apa, AMA etc all have specific methods for citation of digital works. Which do you use?

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 13
Matt Hauck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 12:46 AM

Turabian, though, my question is not so much about what I should do, as though I have a paper coming up... 

I suppose digital citations are just not as precise as page numbers, since it is harder to locate the citation. This imprecision seems unideal for a scholarly reference work, where looking up what is said is important.

This just seems unideal, and it might be beneficial to implement some kind of paging concept in the EEC so as to be able to locate things more directly.  (I suppose this is more of a suggestion than a question...)

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 1:02 AM

Matt Hauck:
This imprecision seems unideal for a scholarly reference work, where looking up what is said is important.

I think it doesn't really matter for a digital reference work, at least not for citing direct quotes. Supposing someone does want to track down your references and manages to get access to the digital work. They will most likely have access to some search feature so they can find your exact quote and read the surrounding context. I suppose it's more of an issue when you're footnoting ideas that you got from some digital book and put in your own words. The researcher might not be able to track down your reference as easily. But still, most of the time you'll at least mention a word or name that could help them find the location if there are no page numbers.

Posts 13
Matt Hauck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 1:13 AM

Hmm, that's a good point.

I suppose I had thought of someone trying to track down a digital citation the "old fashioned" way in the printed copy and having difficulty. Yet, that is not really an issue since this is a purely digital work with no hard-copy. 

There does remain still situations where you might want to footnote without a quotation (ex. listing a group of commentators who take a certain position) that is hard to do. I suppose for that, though, a verse reference might be sufficient.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 2:39 AM

Matt Hauck:
There does remain still situations where you might want to footnote without a quotation (ex. listing a group of commentators who take a certain position) that is hard to do. I suppose for that, though, a verse reference might be sufficient.

That's an excellent point. Some sort of milestone seems appropriate for this sort of reference, in the same way that one cites a lexicon based on the entry title rather than the page number.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 5:30 AM

Which will become a little more confusing when the abridged print version comes out, as I assume that will have page numbers.

I still don't understand the issue with creating page numbers in a digital resource. I create digital resources all the time, Word documents, and pagination is easy. I must be missing something. Sure it's arbitrary for the font size, paper size etc., but in a published digital text couldn't they be tied to the same point in the text regardless of those variables, so "God" always begins page 432 for example?  I guess it's good I am not in charge of anything Wink

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 6:57 AM

Kindle at least reports location numbers and percentages.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 8:50 AM

Wonder if Logos copy location as URL will become a citation option ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2922
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 9:34 PM

Generally non-paginated digital resources are referenced by Chapter and section headings.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2011 9:55 PM

Matt Hauck:
Turabian, though, my question is not so much about what I should do, as though I have a paper coming up... 

Matt I am not sure where you go to school, but I attend Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. We have a style manual that is based on Turabian. Inside it is info on how to cite Logos resources.. I think it's page 88/89 but I may be wrong. Anyhow, if you attend any of the SBC schools you probably use the same manual so ask one of your professors if they have any such thing. If that fails find an English prof and ask him/her how to do it. If that fails, go ask your librarian. Ask fellow students who use Logos Bible Software.. you are not the first person to use Logos to write an academic paper.. the answer is somewhere on campus.

Good Luck,

Matt

Posts 50
Robert Lombardi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 8:18 AM

I wonder if it would be possible for Logos to provide Chapter, Section titles automatically in the citation for those books which do not include page numbers.

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:40 AM

Hi Matt,

Don't know what the citation guidelines are for the kind of study you are doing, but L4 does have some VERY precise tools for logging a specific reference point within a resource. This is a great feature I often use for my studies. It helps me to get back to any citation I quote from with great ease. With this method, I can quickly see if there is more on the particular subject of interest to me whenever I wish.

I refer to the copy url feature in L4. If you are about to use a quote, create a Note file and enter a memo to yourself / or copy-paste some text from that resource (ie- your quote). Click on the place in the resource that you want your link to go and while you have the RESOURCE'S citation still in the active tab, use CTRL-ALT-C to copy the url (location) - make sure url is selected, highlight a significant word in the memo/text you quote (in your note file) and go up the to little hyperlink window on the menu bar of the Note. Hit CTRL-V and then ENTER. The word you highlighted will now become a link to the resource at the place you quoted. [Another hint: I sometimes use an underline highlighter or color highlight somewhere in that section of the resource so I can see easily find my place.]

I sometimes use Logos Notes first and later copy and paste to a Word doc.

The PROBLEM: If I want footnotes for the reader, NOTES doesn't do it. If I choose footnotes, creating a NOTE file and doing all the above seems like double the work. it is an amazing help though - so I have been using this instead of the footnotes. For me, I like the ability to retrace my steps.

Hope I got this all right. If any of you have any corrections / clarifications - feel free ... Wink

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS