Logos 4 for Mac not really stable

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
ipckpastor | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 7 2011 6:01 AM | Locked

Logos for Mac 4 has not been stable for me since I upgraded on April 17. Is there a way that I can reinstall the previous version while waiting for a stable version to come out? Where can I find the previous version and how to I retro install?

Thanks.

Posts 23590
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 6:06 AM | Locked

Hi Mike

Mike Lowery:
Logos for Mac 4 has not been stable for me since I upgraded on April 17

What version are you now running?

Mike Lowery:
Is there a way that I can reinstall the previous version while waiting for a stable version to come out? Where can I find the previous version and how to I retro install?

http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting#Uninstalling_and_Reinstalling_in_Logos_4_Mac gives information about uninstalling and then installing the current stable or beta versions (but hence my question about what version you are running as it's not clear what version you want to go back to)

Graham

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 10:19 AM | Locked

Mike Lowery:

Logos for Mac 4 has not been stable for me since I upgraded on April 17. Is there a way that I can reinstall the previous version while waiting for a stable version to come out? Where can I find the previous version and how to I retro install?

Looking at wiki page => Mac Release Notes and History noticed newer stable and beta Logos 4 Mac versions since April 17.

What version are you currently using ?  Which previous version would you like ?

Observation: 21 stable versions are available; 50 beta versions (including pre-stable) are available.  If not want current stable or beta version, please ask, can lookup and provide download link.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8
ipckpastor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 3:07 AM | Locked

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I had some problems just before Easter (not good) with 4.2a SR-4 on both Mac and Windows versons. So, I "jumped ship" on the Mac and went to 4.3 beta. But, I am still at beta 4 being overseas with limited bandwidth and waiting for 4.3 stable. What I have is useable, but not stable ... I understand beta risks.

There are three options that I see based on the info you've given me:

1) Wait for 4.3 stable

2) Reload everything on a 4.2a stable version

3) Upgrade to 4.3 beta 7

My preference is Number 1. Do you have any estimate when 4.3 stable will launch? That will help my decision.

Thanks Again,

MEL

Posts 23590
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 3:20 AM | Locked

Mike Lowery:
My preference is Number 1. Do you have any estimate when 4.3 stable will launch? That will help my decision.

Hi Mel

No real estimate - just a guess!

PBB support was introduced in B6 and B7 has just been released which addresses some of the issues identified in B6. However, there are still a lot of issues left to be resolved. If Logos decide to address a number of these then I expect there will need to be another few beta releases in this cycle before a stable release is available.

So I would be very surprised to see a 4.3 stable release within a month.

But this is just based on my expectations as to what Logos might do and no inside knowledge!

Graham

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 7:57 AM | Locked

Mike Lowery:

There are three options that I see based on the info you've given me:

1) Wait for 4.3 stable

2) Reload everything on a 4.2a stable version

3) Upgrade to 4.3 beta 7

Personally have stable Logos 4 Mac in Applications folder and beta Logos 4 Mac in my beta user's Documents folder (similar to PC configuration); am using different Mac user accounts with different Logos 4 folders.  Thankful can run stable and beta Logos 4 Mac versions at the same time (have adequate disk space for couple Logos 4 folders with resources and indexes).

For Logos 4.3 Beta 7 upgrade, could delete 3 items (username is your login name)

1. Delete Logos Bible Software 4 from your Dock
  2. Delete Logos Bible Software 4 from Applications folder
  3. Delete com.logos.LogosIndexer.plist in /Users/username/Library/LaunchAgents

Then download Logos 4.3 Beta 7 disk image (75 MB), drag "Logos Bible Software 4" application to a folder other than Applications (e.g. Documents), then drag "Logos Bible Software 4" application from your chosen folder to your Dock, followed by launching Logos 4.3 Beta 7.

If have adequate free disk space (many GB's), another option is: create Mac user (for stable use), then use wiki Quick Installation onto Multiple Macs => Copy Logos 4 Resources to Mac OS X steps, choosing current stable release to download (75 MB).  For Logos 4 resource copy, could close beta Logos 4 Mac, then drag beta's Resources folder to beta's Public folder, switch to stable user to scan beta's resources (copies files into stable's Logos 4 Resources folder).  The scan command for a public folder looks like: scan /Users/<beta user>/Public/Resources  where <beta user> is your Beta login name.  Once stable indexing done, switch to beta user, then drag Resources folder back to beta's Logos 4 folder, then can launch beta Logos 4 Mac.  Similar effort as option 2, but have both stable and beta Logos 4 Mac versions (and ongoing maintenance of two Logos 4 libraries).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8
ipckpastor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 1:29 AM | Locked

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the current solution will require more time than I have to invest right now. I will limp along until the stable 4.3 comes out. 

Thanks again.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:55 AM | Locked

Mike Lowery:

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the current solution will require more time than I have to invest right now. I will limp along until the stable 4.3 comes out. 

Observation: updating to Logos 4.3 Beta 7 changes diagnostic logging to off (bit faster).

Idea Could look at Mac Release Notes and History to see if newer Beta version(s) fix some stability headaches.  Looking at Logos 4.3 Beta 7 release notes, appears new Personal Book Builder (PBB) feature has many known issues (plus many cumulative fixes).  Am aware that 4.3 Beta 7 downloading resource updates can still take many sessions (same as 4.3 Beta 4, reported on a different thread).  Also noted 4.3 Beta 7 has a Bible Word Study crash => 4.3 Beta 6 BWS Crash and Exegetical Guide setting issue => 4.3 Beta 5 Exegetical Guide  In contrast have experienced 4.3 Beta 7 improvements for scrolling and Exegetical Guide Word by Word along with running stable and beta Logos 4 Mac versions at the same time with different users (and different libraries).

If want to enable diagnostic logging in Logos 4.3 Beta 7, could download AppleScript application (40.4 KB) => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/33530/256690.aspx#256690  (personally enabling for resource downloads and crash replication)

Update to Logos 4.3 Beta 7 can be done by replacing current 4.3 beta 4 application.

Option to setup stable and beta is follow-up from More crashes discussion.

Note: since discussing Logos 4 Mac Beta, Logos may move this thread to Mac Beta forum.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS