PowerPoint and Keynote integration: what do you want?

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:48 PM

It's possible to integrate PowerPoint and Keynote presentations in several ways:

1) Images. This is the safest/most-portable way, where your PPT/Key presentation is exported to a sequence of images that Proclaim imports. This avoids any formatting problems and ensures cross-platform compatibility, even if you import a presentation from one platform and present on another. Negative: You can't get animated builds, point by point reveals, etc.

2) Content import. Proclaim reads PPT/Key presentation and extracts text and images, putting them into its own format. This is likely to increase formatting errors on complex slides, and doesn't bring in transitions/builds, etc., but would work for simple text based slides and make them editable in Proclaim.

3) Shelling out. We can control -- or shell out to -- PowerPoint or Keynote at a certain point in the presentation. Complicated, and possibly a source of UI conflicts / problems, but would allow full featured use of the other products in the middle of a Proclaim presentation.

What do you think Proclaim should do/prefer?

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 9:01 PM

It seems like you could read the XML from Keynote and PowerPoint including the transitions, couldn't you? I know that it's possible for Keynote to export to PowerPoint format and include those transitions that PowerPoint supports. Not possible for Proclaim?

Posts 22087
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2011 11:56 PM

Hi Bob

Thanks for asking the question.

Thinking about our standard usage of presentation tools, the ability to support builds and "point by point reveals" is essential. Also, having the ability to edit slides containing such features just before a service starts is important.

So, if the only way of really supporting this is option 3 that is the one I would go for.

However, we don't have a huge investment in such slides (we generate new ones for each service) and so if it were possible to have these features (build of text slides) in Proclaim then our requirement for an import feature at all would be significantly reduced. (I know that others have very different requirements here).

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 3669
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2011 8:15 AM

Hi Bob,

Speaking only for Power Point, I'd vote for all 3 with the default being option 1. I can see times when each would be preferable.

1. Images - would enable quick use with Proclaim controls. Useful when no special transitions, linkages, etc., exist in the Power Point.
  2. Import - Handy when we want to convert to proclaim & toss the power point.
  3. Shelling Out - handy when we want to show someone else's power point & they have lots of links, transitions, etc. built in.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 12:41 PM

Option 1 seems the easiest and "lightest" option.  For our uses we would not suffer from loss of transitions or animations in PowerPoint.  Our current software uses Option 3, which can be buggy and tends to have a lot of lag.

Posts 27805
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 2:09 PM

Steve Hultquist:

It seems like you could read the XML from Keynote and PowerPoint including the transitions, couldn't you? I know that it's possible for Keynote to export to PowerPoint format and include those transitions that PowerPoint supports. Not possible for Proclaim?

Steve - 

This is essentially Bob's second "solution." The problem with this solution is that anytime you move from one system to another [This could be Keynote to Powerpoint, this could also be from one version of Powerpoint to another] there are frequently changes made in how the program renders the slide.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6
Andrew Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:27 PM

Hmmm

that is a tough one I guess option 3 ( but like option 1) This will probably cause problems. The main reason is  I use animations, if I have multiple points on one ppt slide so they don't all appear at one time I animate them to appear 1 at a time. I might just have to change how I do things

Posts 2
Jim From North Bend | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 8:39 PM

Option 1 is likely the easiest, and most reliable.

Reading the XML is technically more difficult, but if you set the standard on a specific version, say PPT 97-2003, then that should mitigate some of the issues with versioning. 

Actually, If you went with the OpenDocument format, which PowerPoint can save in, it would also open up the opportunity for using "OpenOffice", an open-source tool, and other tools that can save in the standardized format.  That should eliminate changing XML formats also.

As for transitions using Option 1, its not REAL hard to make separate slides that sets up a 'reveal' for point-by-point presenations...

Posts 3669
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 9:00 PM

Jim From North Bend:

As for transitions using Option 1, its not REAL hard to make separate slides that sets up a 'reveal' for point-by-point presenations...

Hi Jim,

If we implement Proclaim, we won't be developing Power Points (our implementation of a competitor's projection software has already stopped PP development). Therefore, the only time it'll be an issue is if a guest brings a Power Point. presentation that has transitions, animations, or internal links.  If Option 1 were the only option, our AV person would likely ditch Proclaim, start Power Point for the presentation, & come back to Prolcaim afterwards. It just isn't possible to re-implement someone else's presentation into separate slides in Proclaim just before worship, just so we can show it in Proclaim.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2
Jim From North Bend | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 11:02 PM

True... with external/guest folks, we do the same thing with a competing product now, also.  We leave the presentation software on a 'landing' slide for the transition to and from PowerPoint.

Our pastors use Powerpoint, but they're "trained" to use successive slides, rather than use in-slide transitions, because it can cause instability with the presentaiton tool we use.

Posts 208
Paul Gisbourne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:52 AM

Bob Pritchett:

It's possible to integrate PowerPoint and Keynote presentations in several ways:

1) Images. This is the safest/most-portable way, where your PPT/Key presentation is exported to a sequence of images that Proclaim imports. This avoids any formatting problems and ensures cross-platform compatibility, even if you import a presentation from one platform and present on another. Negative: You can't get animated builds, point by point reveals, etc.

2) Content import. Proclaim reads PPT/Key presentation and extracts text and images, putting them into its own format. This is likely to increase formatting errors on complex slides, and doesn't bring in transitions/builds, etc., but would work for simple text based slides and make them editable in Proclaim.

3) Shelling out. We can control -- or shell out to -- PowerPoint or Keynote at a certain point in the presentation. Complicated, and possibly a source of UI conflicts / problems, but would allow full featured use of the other products in the middle of a Proclaim presentation.

What do you think Proclaim should do/prefer?

hmmmmm.......  In previous years at my church we had different programs for song lyric projection, powerpoints and videos, and found that more often than not we would have issues with computer crashes and not to mention complications as we would have a couple of powerpoints, one for notices one for sermon.

As an ultimate preference I would go for an all in one solution with proclaim handling the powerpoint/keynote presentations.

As a mac user, there is however issues we face in taking our presentations into other projection software in that they handle powerpoints and don't read keynote files, so in converting we lose much of the coolness of keynote. What I often do is export a powerpoint version and a quicktime movie. Will proclaim be able to handle quicktime movie files, and other ones too, as for a mac user this would help immensely????

Posts 2
Ken Bussell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:05 AM

We use PowerPoint extensively, and our presentations are fairly complicated... lots of animations, transitions, movement, etc. I would prefer to see #3. The first two options are not really integration... more like workarounds.

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 7:49 AM

I think I would prefer option 3 as well. In addition to Proclaim, we are also testing out Easy Worship and have used it the past couple of weeks in our worship services. I keep in mind that Proclaim is new and in the alpha stage, EW has been around for quite awhile so it is not fair to expect everything you can do with EW at this stage, but when it goes "live" unless it does at least most of what EW can do we will definately have to go with EW. The ability to use power point and edit slides and layouts has proven to be absolutely essential in us using presentation software.

Posts 11
Jai Reid | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2011 1:13 PM

It depends on how good Proclaim is for creating sermon slides. If proclaim has all the outline, chart/table-creation, animation features of a Powerpoint/Keynote program, then I would #1 might suffice, because the staff would just learn Proclaim instead of Powerpoint, and the only use for powerpoint would be when a guest comes with a pptx file.

If proclaim is only going to have the basic slide editing features needed for song projection/video playback, etc, then it will be completely inadequate for the pastor, and it will likely be inconvenient to always be using more than one program for projection, so #3 would be necessary, but again, unless it works REALLY well and is completely stable, we'll end up hating Proclaim for it. Better not to have a feature than to have a buggy feature.

So if #3 isn't going to work well, then I'd say you just need to make sure using the two programs at the same time is as user-friendly as possible (for instance, ProPresenter has a feature that keeps it on top of the projection screen, but it had a switch to turn this off - crucial if we're going to show PowerPoint presentations seperately -- it would be even better if it could "allow only Powerpoint/Keynote" and not other things to pop up). Having a way to open up Powerpoint Presenter View while still keeping Proclaim visible and only a click away on the control screen would be best in my view (ie. a window within a window).

#2 can be ocassionally handy, but I think for the most part it requires so much re-formatting work that it won't be useful. When we wanted to stick all the names of our volunteers in a PowerPoint presention, I did an excel export from our database, then converted to word outline format, then imported into PowerPoint to avoid typing in several hundred names, but that's about the only time we use an import feature on PowerPoint.

Posts 5565
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 14 2011 2:44 PM

We're not using Proclaim, since we don't have internet access at the display computer.

However, as I've looked at other worship presentation software, running PowerPoint by calling the PowerPoint program from the presentation interface seems to be the industry standard. Those that don't (e.g. OpenSong) are often by-passed by churches that have used PowerPoint as their primary means of projecting songs, message notes, announcements, etc.

IMHO, option 3 would be less complicated than option 2, which would require you to be on top of every iteration of PowerPoint in use today, plus every future iteration.

Option 1 doesn't sound like anything I'd want, and it's not close to being competitive in this market, IMHO.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2
ChrisDunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 7:51 AM

I'd be perfectly fine with Proclaim shelling out to Keynote or Powerpoint.

When I build a PowerPoint presentation (or more likely a Keynote presentation), I hate to see it losing transitions and effects. I don't use them heavily, but when I use them I have a reason. Because there doesn't seem to be a good solution to offering 100% perfect playback of .ppts in Proclaim (or any other product I've tried up to this point), and I know that there isn't really any method to playback a Keynote file in anything other than Keynote, I'd want to see it call up Keynote and/or PowerPoint to play back the appropriate files and then close them out when the presentation comes to a conclusion.

Posts 116
John R. Weathersby | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 3:01 PM

As it stands, I'm not certain I understand the product well enough to respond without LOTS of preconceptions that may or may NOT be true. 

However, I AM aware that my answer, to this point, is about as helpful as a football-bat.

SO, I'll qualify my answer some as I go.  I assume the software will be the presentation development tool.  That is it will have features that handle transitions and placement of text, fonts, videos, etc.  This said, I would LOVE to be able to have my PPTs imported maintaining ALL relevant features (images/transitions/fonts/EVERYTHING) from a PPT or Keynote file.  Even IF I opt to use this to make my presentations (which stops me from being able to leverage folks that make templates for me) I may have folks that come to visit with a PowerPoint.  I'd like to stick with (this) as my native mode of presenting and NOT pop up an external method for visitors not familiar with our new fangled dot come machine.

Grace and peace,

John Weathersby

Harrisburg PA -

www.transcendchurch.org

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 116
John R. Weathersby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 9:00 AM

Also, does it offer functionality in the presentation that I DON'T get nativly from PowerPoint like Prezi http://prezi.com/index/ I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE that!!

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 27
Randy Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2011 7:24 AM

I realize I am coming in late to the show, but I have just started messing around with Proclaim.  I would think all three options would be useful at different times based on the circumstance.

One issue I just noticed as I was trying to add PP slides to Proclaim is the amount of time it takes for each slide to upload before it can be viewed.  If we have a guest that comes in with a PP presentation, we often do not have an abundance of time to prepare the slide show.  Uploading each slide and waiting would become very tedious.  I would probably just have video person drop Proclaim and open PP.

Posts 28
Anton E Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 11 2011 7:08 PM

Honestly, all three options should be available.  Most of the current presentation market provides this already.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS