PowerPoint and Keynote integration: what do you want?

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 4
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 6:20 AM

I'd prefer to use option 3. Option 1 is pretty much already availble in Proclaim (it just needs multiple picture uploads to make it less painful). We are currently moving from a PC to a Mac and have both setup. On the PC we use EasyWorship and that shells out to PowerPoint with some lag issues on getting the first slide up (after that it goes fine, does all the transitions and embedded movies with no hangups). I've tried several programs on the Mac and none do this. They all do some form of option 1 or 2 and I've found it very time-consuming to set up, not something I want to put onto my volunteers (or myself for that matter!) I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Mac platform.

I have noticed that both PowerPoint and Keynote on the Mac insist on taking over both screens of a dualscreen system when displaying a presentation. You can't turn the Presenter display off on PowerPoint. On Keynote you can, but it blacks the control screen! This makes using Proclaim and Keynote/PowerPoint at the same time a slightly less viable alternative to what you get on the PC, where you can have Proclaim or whatever software visible and ready to go on the control screen.

I've done extensive searches and have found no solution to this. Its pretty much a dealbreaker using the Mac for church presentations, which is frustrating as the platform is so much better in just about every other way. If you could implement option 3 in a workable way on a Mac I would be most impressed and grateful.

Tim

Posts 1
John Oh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2011 6:05 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if it can be build in with MS powerpoint and can have a drop box system. as in can be just drop into proclaim and it will be able to read and present it.

As it will be running with MS powerpoint and chinese wording won't be any problem.

As it is now not really working well with chinese input

Posts 31
Kyle Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 8:22 AM

Personally, I prefer option 2 because if you develop Proclaim as a slide builder (multiple text/image/... objects on each slide) then we will probably stop using PowerPoint (, Keynote, Impress...) to build our slides. Then the only reason we would need to use this feature is if a guest speaker or regular church member brings us a presentation for select services.

Posts 15
Molly Crocker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 9:49 AM

Why worry about importing at all?  Unless you have Just Plain Slides and Really, Really want them in your Proclaim video feed, why not just launch PowerPoint or Keynote and RUN that?  There are remote control options from your iPhone/iPad as well (well, at least for Keynote, through a common wifi connection) that lets the speaker see his/her notes.

Molly Crocker

Posts 12
Ethan Boles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 23 2011 6:26 PM

I would love to see option 3 but if you can get #1 right now and then come out with #3 later i would love that. I would be using Proclaim for my Christian College's chapel. We have so many visitor speakers and without any integration we simply cannot use proclaim. So if number 1 would be a quick solution that you would just like to improve that would be great.

Posts 13
Mark Vojtasek | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:53 AM

Based on the replies so far, it would appear that there is a need for all three, although perhaps not as much for #2.  In our case, we could probably get away from ppt for sermon slides, as our pastor is an enthusiastic Logos user, and I expect the interface between Logos and Proclaim to take advantage of that. However, it would not be a complete solution for us if we could not show a native ppt(x), which we often receive from guest preachers and speakers. Even if we allowed time to import/convert into Proclaim, animations & transition would likely be lost. 

Another issue that I have not seen get much discussion here is the need to upload all files to the cloud.  Again, this is not practical for the late-arriving ppt or video (i.e., large) files.  If storage space is not a concern then I would be all for uploading all content. This would obviously support the core philosophy of Proclaim, allowing anyone to collaborate from anywhere. But, I think there are a number of situations where due to time or bandwidth constraints, or unstable Internet connectivity, it would be advantageous, once the presentation is ready, to run a service from a locally downloaded copy.  For any large media elements, you could provide an option for "streamed" or "local". With the latter, there probably would need to be some way of ensuring that the file actually exists on the presentation pc, or at least a warning that someone needs to verify that. 

That said, I love the 'feel' of the interface, and how quickly I was up and running with it.  I would not have taken the time to post my $.02 if I wasn't hopeful that it could become a viable solution for us!

Posts 1
Philip Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:07 AM

Bob

After some initial testing for us the real need is the first one for both Powerpoint (Mac/PC Versions).  Keynote would be very helpful but this is more difficult due to API issues.  Our church (just over 100 per Sunday) used to be PC and we are moving toward Mac so making sure that imports work for the Mac versions of Office is key.

Posts 12
GNF_Ferndale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:38 AM

Option 1 for sure. Would like all three to be a possibility. 

Posts 12
Kevin M. Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:27 AM

I think the best thing is for a feature whereby anything in the slide master gets converted to a background ... then each slide grabs the text and font style and size ... and then proclaim converts everything to individual slides in Proclaim!!

Posts 3
James Walton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 7 2011 10:25 AM

From the usage and migration scenario we'd be in, I think all 3 options are valid.

I'd prefer option 2 for migrating our existing PowerPoint song slides into Proclaim. Personally, we don't use transitions or list reveals, as we primarily project worship songs and videos. So, really all I would want would be the ability to gimport the text, background images, and optionally the font formatting (size/style/color) from a presentation.

For handling guest speaker presentations and such, I could see arguments for either option 1 or 3. However, I think it probably would be easiest to simply hand-off to PowerPoint/Keynote if you wanted to be able to incorporate that content but not import/migrate it.

Posts 29
Clay Brisbois | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 11:41 AM

I am just starting to work with Proclaim, testing it out, but it seems to me that once you fully commit to it that you would use it to create your presentations instead of PowerPoint.  I guess if you have a guest speaker who brings in some slides you would need this functionality.  But I would like to be able to export a Proclaim presentation into PowerPoint to archive it.  Since it would be for reference, and not presentation, you wouldn't need to worry about putting in transition effects and so forth.

For those times that we would need to incorporate an existing PowerPoint presentation, I would prefer option 3.  A lot of thought and work goes into the animations, when they are utilized, and it would be a shame to lose them - or have to re-create them in Proclaim.

Posts 4
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 10 2011 4:11 PM

What I want out of Proclaim - or the Presentation software I use - is to be able to pull together all the different multimedia requirements of a service into one package - video, slides, songs, audio... I only want to have one program open on a Sunday morning, not have to flick back and forth between many programs.

I don't really see it as content creation software - except for the songs (which by the way, I think Proclaim has the best SongSelect integration so far).

I plan to still use PowerPoint or Keynote to create slides because they do that well. I wouldn't expect Proclaim to edit my videos! (except some basic trimming options).

As such option 3 is the only real option for true PowerPoint/Keynote integration. You wouldn't be able to keep up with newer versions with the others.

That's what I currently have in EasyWorship and that's one of the things I'd need to have before considering switching to Proclaim.

Posts 1
Village Baptist Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 11 2011 4:58 PM

I think you should offer both the ability to point to a PowerPoint presentation and import it in and put it in a Proclaim format and allow Proclaim to seamlessly run a PP presentation as it is, giving the user the choice of which way they want to go.  The biggest issue is that Pastor's will want to keep their presentations separate from the Worship software so that they have it with their sermon notes.  Therefore, pastors aren't going to want to create their portion of the service in Proclaim unless there is a way to get just their sermon portion out in a format they can edit for the next time they need to use that sermon.

Posts 1
Village Baptist Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:01 AM

you definately need to allow the user to upload multiple images at once.  I had to upload the announcements one image at a time, which was painful.

Posts 3501
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 2:20 PM

Brad:
you definately need to allow the user to upload multiple images at once.

This feature is coming soon.

Posts 1
Mark Schimmel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 13 2011 3:55 AM

There are far too many presentations and sub-presentations that we will need to keep the capability to run ppt/key/odp files (see the Voice of the Martyrs ppt presentation today regarding the International Day of Prayer as a for instance).  What would be best IMO, would be the ability to drag a ppt into a slot in proclaim at the point in the service we want it to play and simply have it play as designed.

Posts 3
Tom VanderPloeg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 1 2011 10:23 AM

Images are the cleanest way to keep formatting exact.  Keynote lets users create a separate slide for each animation build.  However, the entire procedure is completely undesireable because Proclaim only lets users upload ONE SLIDE AT A TIME!  This makes Proclaim more hassle than it's worth.  I'll keep an eye on the updates and stay with MediaShout for the time being.

Posts 2
John David White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:25 PM

Another option is to actually improve the ability to make robust and complex formatting and transitions within the "custimize" section of Proclaim...

Posts 2
John David White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:27 PM

It seems you can upload more than one slide at a time if you use the 'account' section to upload multiple files.Make sure you get a preview icon for each file or it will freeze up. :(

Posts 1
Simon Crosland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 2:34 AM

John David White:

Another option is to actually improve the ability to make robust and complex formatting and transitions within the "custimize" section of Proclaim...

Whilst that would be useful anyway, it would not solve our need for PowerPoint integration.

Visiting speakers and missionaries often come with ppt or pptx presentations that need to be displayed. Without full integration the workflow would be to take the presentation, export slide images, import to Proclaim, re-insert all the transitions that the speaker wanted, and that's too error prone to be practical!  With integration we would simply import the presentation and be ready to go.

Cheers,
Simon 

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS