New Tutorial Video - Prioritising

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 6:28 PM

Thanks. This is very helpful! There are a lot of changes to your 2011 post just because of new resources that have come out. I am trying to decide how to prioritize all my encyclopedias right now. I'm surprised you don't have the IVP black dictionaries higher. I put them at the top, followed by Anchor, ISBE, your Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible, Encyclopedia of Christianity, and then the shorter volumes (NBD, BEB, NDT, DBI, NDBT, EDB, etc.). I'm really not sure on the order of the one-volume dictionaries. I suppose you have a reason for putting some of them above the multi-volume dictionaries. I'm not sure what that is.

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 6:50 AM

David Sloan:
I'm surprised you don't have the IVP black dictionaries higher. I put them at the top, followed by Anchor, ISBE, your Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible, Encyclopedia of Christianity, and then the shorter volumes (NBD, BEB, NDT, DBI, NDBT, EDB, etc.). I'm really not sure on the order of the one-volume dictionaries. I suppose you have a reason for putting some of them above the multi-volume dictionaries. I'm not sure what that is.

When I prioritise I don't just put the best at the top and the worst at the bottom. It's a bit more nuanced than that.

I very frequently type lookup [topic] in the command box, or double-click on words to look them up in dictionaries. If I do that, I'm very unlikely to want one of the black IVP dictionaries show up, because they're too specific. If I'm looking up "Mount of Olives", I wouldn't want to read the article in DJG to show up, because my interest is very likely to spread beyond the gospels. So I move those dictionaries down the list.

To me, the first five dictionaries are the most important, because those are the ones that will show up in right-click menus. You can get to those dictionaries in two clicks. I don't therefore have the specific dictionaries in those slots. And having a big dictionary (AYBD) and a smaller dictionary (NBD) in the top two slots means that I can easily choose NBD when I don't have time to read a longer article.

As for the Encyclopedia of Christianity, it's poor on Biblical and Theological topics, so I place it below Biblical/Theological dictionaries. But it's the highest ranked of my non-biblical/theological dictionaries. That should mean it will rank highly for non-biblical/theological topics (such as "prelate"), but it won't rank highly for biblical/theological topics (such as "Purity"). That's exactly what I want.

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:32 AM

Thanks. This has all been really helpful.

Posts 1253
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2021 6:18 PM

This is a great thread! Hunting around the inter-web for some detailed advice on prioritizing and I think this may still be the best even after all these years! 

I sure would love a faster prioritization set up by Logos though. Maybe a default that would make stock prioritizations based on bestcommentaries.com or something. I've done a bit of a poor job at it since owning the software and I'm now realizing just how much work it's going to be to enter all of these in and set the advanced settings as well on many of them. 

Having said all that, thank you Mark for the good set up list! Looks like the old unofficial tutorial videos have been moved or deleted. Alas!

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS