IVP New Testament Studies Collection on Prepub

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 774
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 12 2011 5:58 AM

Any opinions on this collection would be helpful to me. I am a Pastor with no language training, but I use Logos to do some language work on my own. It is not my top priority, however.

I have never been disappointed with anything from IVP. My book budget is very tight, and this will leave very little for the rest of the year. But since it is IVP, I am thinking about it.

Also, it says it ships July 11th. Does that mean I have until then to decide?

Thoughts?

IVP New Testament Studies Collection

Thanks!

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 6:52 AM

Jerry Bush:
Does that mean I have until then to decide?

Yes. You'll get an email a day or so beforehand confirming it's coming. That would be the time to cancel, I think.

My own feeling is this is not quite the usefulness of some of the other IVP collections, but that's a comment on the nature of the resources, not their quality. I tend to get more value out of dictionaries and commentaries than out of monographs. The collection is particularly strong on NT background, so if that's a concern for you then you should definitely stay in.

Posts 29932
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 9:12 AM

Jerry -

Just wanted to let you know that there will be some sort of sale this week due to the forum breaking 50,000 users. Don't know what that means, but be alert this week. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:27 PM

I was excited about this collection when I saw the twitter announcement ... until I actually looked at it.  While I love IVP books, this one seemed too 'entry level' to me.  Too many books along the lines of "intro to NT".  Although I might be interested in a few of the books - I'm not going to buy the bundle, and not right after AYBRL shipped for sure.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 8497
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 1:01 PM

I hope they make Witherington's commentaries available individually.  Personally, I really don't care about the other books in the bundle.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 1:49 PM

At least one of the books on this collection is already in Logos as I have:

Introduction to the New Testament

• Author: David A. deSilva
  • Publisher: IVP
  • Publication Date: 2004
  • Pages: 975

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 2:11 PM

Graham Owen:

At least one of the books on this collection is already in Logos as I have:

Introduction to the New Testament

• Author: David A. deSilva
  • Publisher: IVP
  • Publication Date: 2004
  • Pages: 975

You may also have this one too--I do.:

New Testament Theology: Many Witnesses, One Gospel by Marshall, I. Howard

Plus, The first edition of this book is already available in Logos:

The Making of the New Testament by Patzia, Arthur G.

The 2nd edition of this book is in the new collection.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 13 2011 4:10 PM

This is by far the STUPIDEST COLLECTION I've ever seen.  Come on IVP why would you put 2 books that are already sold separately on this collection and why in the world would you put commentaries from one series bundled up in a collection that has nothing to do with them.  Geeees come on you're killing me!!! Now I won't be able to buy the new volumes I want from witherington.  Smart move IVP...yes IVP I'm not blaming Logos for this one.

Posts 12165
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2011 6:28 AM

Giovanni Baggio:

Come on IVP why would you put 2 books that are already sold separately on this collection .... Smart move IVP...yes IVP I'm not blaming Logos for this one.

Well, but Logos did something about it. Did you overlook the pink shaded box on page http://www.logos.com/product/9681/ivp-new-testament-studies-collection  where it says:

"Already own New Testament Theology and Introduction to the New Testament? Consider purchasing the IVP New Testament Studies Collection Upgrade (13 vols.) on Pre-Pub for $174.95! "

Thus I think Logos sticks to their words, wherever possible to not require users to buy a resource twice.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 774
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 6:08 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. My response is delayed because I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and totally unplugged from online stuff.

Even though I am a fan of IVP stuff, this one does not seem like a good fit for me.

Thanks again!

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2011 12:19 PM

Mark Barnes:

The collection is particularly strong on NT background, so if that's a concern for you then you should definitely stay in.

Thank you, Mark.  That was the precise reason I was considering getting this collection and since I value your (and many others on this forum) perspective I got it.  I'm currently starting a first run through Witherington's "The Indellible Image" vol 1 and I'm quite happy so far.  Thanks again.

Posts 185
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2011 12:59 PM

I'm not clear on the rules for external links, but the IVP Website lists this collection at $249.95 retail, and currently on sale for $199.96, in advance of an August 2011 release. What's more, the listing describes the purchase as a Logos 4 download. Can that be correct?

Bill

Here's the link; apologies if such links are not allowed: http://www.ivpress.com/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=4983

EDIT: When I tried to learn more by initiating a purchase from IVP at the sale price, I was taken to a pre-order page, the sale details of which noted the 20% discount and the correct sale price, but also a $16.00 shipping charge! Obviously, something's wrong.

EDIT #2: I have received an e-mail from IVP customer service reporting that the collection is only available through Logos, and that they will correct the error on their Website. I have sent a follow-up message asking about the $199.96 price. Will report back.

Posts 774
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2011 1:21 PM

alabama24:

Jerry -

Just wanted to let you know that there will be some sort of sale this week due to the forum breaking 50,000 users. Don't know what that means, but be alert this week. 

Very late response...

Between vacation and a mission trip, I completely missed the sale. Hope it was not too big of a deal...

Thanks!

Jerry

Posts 185
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 27 2011 3:23 PM

Bill Coley:

I'm not clear on the rules for external links, but the IVP Website lists this collection at $249.95 retail, and currently on sale for $199.96, in advance of an August 2011 release. What's more, the listing describes the purchase as a Logos 4 download. Can that be correct?

Bill

Here's the link; apologies if such links are not allowed: http://www.ivpress.com/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=4983

EDIT: When I tried to learn more by initiating a purchase from IVP at the sale price, I was taken to a pre-order page, the sale details of which noted the 20% discount and the correct sale price, but also a $16.00 shipping charge! Obviously, something's wrong.

EDIT #2: I have received an e-mail from IVP customer service reporting that the collection is only available through Logos, and that they will correct the error on their Website. I have sent a follow-up message asking about the $199.96 price. Will report back.

EDIT #3: The IVP customer service people say that the NT collection should never have appeared on their Website; they can't explain how it got there.  The advertised 20% discount, which of course does not apply to purchases from Logos, was probably added automatically, in keeping with their standard discount on books available through the IVP online store. So, nothing to see there...other than perhaps a soon-to-be corrected Website.

Bill

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS