L4 install on second computer

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:32 PM

I am downloading L4 onto one of my computers, but still have a second pc to install it onto, and it would be nice if I didn't have to download it all again. Can I just copy the downloaded L4 files over to my other computer and then sync the licences? Whats the easiest thing to do?    Also, can we get the DVD install aswell if we chose to download it when we bought L4?

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:47 PM

DavidGullick:

I am downloading L4 onto one of my computers, but still have a second pc to install it onto, and it would be nice if I didn't have to download it all again. Can I just copy the downloaded L4 files over to my other computer and then sync the licences? Whats the easiest thing to do?

Yes you can, the best way to do this is navigate to the install folder (XP: C:\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\Logos4\Data\<random_string>\ResourceManager  |   Vista/7: C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random_string>\ResourceManager) <-- This folder contains all of your resources. Here is the easiest way to do this:

1. Make a copy of that folder (external hard drive or a network folder)

2. Install Logos4 on the second PC

3. Once finished and signed in - let it prepare your library and open up the homepage of Logos4.

4. As soon as its open, go to task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and end the Logos4Indexer.exe process.

5. Insert your external hard drive or find the network address

6. Click on the command bar and type

scan f:\path\to\ResourceManager\

7. Restart Logos.

This should essentially allow you to skip the download. Let me know how it goes.

Edit: Terminating any process (through Task Manager) is potentially dangerous, as it doesn't give the terminated process any chance to save its data files in a consistent state. We strongly discourage terminating either Logos4.exe or Logos4Indexer.exe. Instead, if the indexer is downloading, right-click its icon and choose Cancel Download. (The only other task that could keep the indexer running would be indexing, but since this is a new machine, it won't have anything to index yet.)

DavidGullick:

Also, can we get the DVD install aswell if we chose to download it when we bought L4?

You may call customer service about receiving the DVD.

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:50 PM

DavidGullick:

I am downloading L4 onto one of my computers, but still have a second pc to install it onto, and it would be nice if I didn't have to download it all again. Can I just copy the downloaded L4 files over to my other computer and then sync the licences? Whats the easiest thing to do?    Also, can we get the DVD install aswell if we chose to download it when we bought L4?

Here's how to shorten the time to install on multiple computers:

In another post, http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3340/26040.aspx#26040 Thomas Black said:

1. Install L4 on one computer, download everything to that system.
  2. Copy the files from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<randomstring>\ResourceManager\Resources to your external hard drive.
  3. Install L4 on your next computer, but instead of letting it download turn off downloads temporarily at TOOLS > PROGRAM SETTINGS >Automatically download updates "no"
  4. on your second computer in the command bar of L4 type scan d:\path\to\files
  5. restart Logos 4 and it should "prepare your library" and copy all the files over. 
  6. once finished, turn automatic updates back on if you desire.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 on your additional computer.

My understanding is you can get only one or the other. But the DVD just has the program, because your resources will be downloaded from the Logos servers. Each person's download is unique because each of us has different resources. Plus, by the time you get the DVD many resouces will be updated so it would be out of date and you'd have to download anyway.

Chris

Posts 6699
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:51 PM

George is there a way to do the same thing for the indexer? My other computer is so slow, it would be handy if I could copy the index file, so that it would not need to index. It can take up to 36 hours just to index my resources.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:05 PM

Lynden Williams:

George is there a way to do the same thing for the indexer? My other computer is so slow, it would be handy if I could copy the index file, so that it would not need to index. It can take up to 36 hours just to index my resources.

Good question but I am afraid I know the answer. Sad

Bohuslav

Posts 9433
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:24 PM

Lynden Williams:
George is there a way to do the same thing for the indexer?

I haven't tried it, but the index file seems to reside in C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\(random string)\LibraryIndex in Vista. I would think you could just copy that over to the new computer in the same location. Crossing my fingers anyway.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:04 PM

It all works it seems. Its preparing my library now, didn't actually have to restart for it to begin preparing my library.

Thanks 

EDIT:  I still let it index, didn't try moving the indix file as my first install was on Vista, second on XP, and I didn't think it would work anyhow. But I didn't have to download everything again which was what I mainly wanted to avoid.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 26391
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:41 PM

George Allakhverdyan:
Edit: Terminating any process (through Task Manager) is potentially dangerous, as it doesn't give the terminated process any chance to save its data files in a consistent state. We strongly discourage terminating either Logos4.exe or Logos4Indexer.exe. Instead, if the indexer is downloading, right-click its icon and choose Cancel Download. (The only other task that could keep the indexer running would be indexing, but since this is a new machine, it won't have anything to index yet.)

George,

The only reason it would start indexing is because there is a live installation of L3 on the machine! So one could temporarily point L3 to a folder full of PBB or Help files as an "offering" or pause the indexer. But I'm not sure if Scan will override that or not.

EDIT: (in interests of science and better results I performed a fresh installation)

The first step is Preparing to Download now! So I had to Cancel the download and then it started to Prepare the Library + Index for L3. But I couldn't get scan to work whilst the Indexer was paused, so I had to kill it in Task Manager (whilst paused!).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:54 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I haven't tried it, but the index file seems to reside in C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\(random string)\LibraryIndex in Vista. I would think you could just copy that over to the new computer in the same location. Crossing my fingers anyway.

I tried variations on this about half-way through the beta process with no success.

I believe the reason it won't work is that all the data files are tied to a particular instance of your user on that particular computer see eg Users/UserManager.db; you'll note that the 'random' folder is different on your different installations.

I also tried copying the whole data directory, and then the whole program directory across (after installation so you still have the registry stuff)... Nothing succeeded, and in any case probably would have caused problems for the sync server since it wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two installations...

EDIT:

Interesting indeed: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3629.aspx

Posts 36
Stephen Friend | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:11 PM

Hi Jon:

I was able to get this process to work on 3 different computers (not having to download or index again).

First: you are right: if you copy everything over to the new computer (after you have installed Logos4 on the 2nd computer and logged in at least one time) you will have two folders inside the data folder (such as:23fibyk2.mbd/)

Just delete the folder created by the new install (Leave the something.mbd folder that was copied from the external hard drive).

The trick I found to this process is to delete the "ResourceManager.db" file that is located in the ResourceManager folder (Data>somthing.mbd>ResourceManager>ResourceManager.db) If you do not delete the ResourceManager.db folder your Logos4 install will begin crashing.

I have only tried this on Windows 7 and Vista computers (not XP).

Matthew

Posts 36
Stephen Friend | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:23 PM

I describe more indepth what I did in this post:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3629.aspx

Posts 10
Paul H. Sheldon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:56 AM

I  have followed the instructions but L4 won't delete four files on the second computer install, prior to copying the copied files from the existing installation.  It says the files are open and  being used by another program.  I closed Logos exe, and disabled my wireless connection to the web, to no avail. I'm going to see if I can just over copy these files, but, does anyone have experience with this problem?

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 1:35 PM

Many times when windows says that another app has a file open, you can restart windows. Then (before starting Logos4) you probably can remove those files.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 10
Paul H. Sheldon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 3:29 PM

Thanks Steve, I did try that, but no joy.  Finally, I realized that I was wasting more time trying to do it this way than just downloading everything as with the original installation, so I uninstalled the exe file and started the download from Logos, it is indexing now, and it will finish sometime tonight, maybe even befoe I go to bed, now that I realized to turn off the sleep mode, I lost an hour or two there, thanks again, Paul

Posts 11
Janet Devine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 3:41 PM

I tried this and it didn't seem to work.  I have L4 installed on my notebook (with L3 also installed).  I installed L4 on my new Windows 7 PC and am missing many of my books.  I tried copying all the resources from my notebook (that are in the L4 resource folder) to the appropriate folder on my Win 7 computer but still can't get the books.  Do I need to install L3 also?

thank you for any help.

Posts 26391
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 4:05 PM

JanetDevine:

I tried this and it didn't seem to work.  I have L4 installed on my notebook (with L3 also installed).  I installed L4 on my new Windows 7 PC and am missing many of my books.  I tried copying all the resources from my notebook (that are in the L4 resource folder) to the appropriate folder on my Win 7 computer but still can't get the books.  Do I need to install L3 also?

thank you for any help.

Try  scan <path to external L4 resource folder> in the Command bar and then restart L4. Give it time to copy and it should start indexing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 20
Albert Esselbrugge | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:37 PM

I have tried everything suggested in this forum, and everything is working. All my resources are fully available, BUT, L4 keeps on insisting on downloading over 6G of resources.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tell L4 it doesn't have to download anything?

Typing "Update now", tells me there are no updates, but then it proceeds to download updates (which I am assuming from the size of the download that it is planning to reinstall resources).

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 9:24 AM

AlbertREsselbrugge:

I have tried everything suggested in this forum, and everything is working. All my resources are fully available, BUT, L4 keeps on insisting on downloading over 6G of resources.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tell L4 it doesn't have to download anything?

Typing "Update now", tells me there are no updates, but then it proceeds to download updates (which I am assuming from the size of the download that it is planning to reinstall resources).

You might want to check out this thread - http://community.logos.com/forums/p/8136/69670.aspx - let me know how it goes

Posts 20
Albert Esselbrugge | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 2:04 PM

Thank you George

I had a careful read of the thread you sent. I ran the bitsadmin program and it came up with zero tasks (that was while L4 was downloading updates). Also, L4 appears to me to be fully indexed and all resources are available (ie the number of resources listed in Library coincide with the number on my desktop installation).

On my desktop I have both L3 and L4 but on the laptop I have only installed L4. Could that be an issue?

I am thinking it will probably be cleaner to simply uninstall the laptop installation and reinstall L4.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 3:59 PM

AlbertREsselbrugge:

Thank you George

I had a careful read of the thread you sent. I ran the bitsadmin program and it came up with zero tasks (that was while L4 was downloading updates). Also, L4 appears to me to be fully indexed and all resources are available (ie the number of resources listed in Library coincide with the number on my desktop installation).

On my desktop I have both L3 and L4 but on the laptop I have only installed L4. Could that be an issue?

I am thinking it will probably be cleaner to simply uninstall the laptop installation and reinstall L4.

Your desktop contains the resources in the L3 resources folder and L4 recognizes those automatically and has already indexed them. Since you don't have L3 on your laptop it is definitely needing to get those resources from somewhere. If you decide to uninstall L4 from your laptop it would be good to check whether or not you already have some resources and by backing those up you could save yourself a lot of downloading. You read up on http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3629.aspx as well correct? Did you say the problem with the download is on the laptop or the desktop?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS