Covenant theology resource

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 14 2011 8:14 AM

I am currently reading "A Complete Guide to Understanding the Dispensational Controversy" as I seek to sharpen my thinking on this subject. My leanings are Covenant but I would not be able to defend that position intelligently. Could someone please point me to a comparable Logos resource from a Covenant standpoint? I see a lot of treatment in my Systematic Theologies and Dogmatics resources but would like a monograph to balance out this reading if possible.

TIA

Posts 1416
Chris Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 14 2011 8:24 AM

Unfortunately, the best resource is not in Logos. The Christ of the Covenants by O. Palmer Robertson is generally seen as one of the best discussions of Covenant theology. Michael Horton's God of Promise is also good, but again, not in Logos. I've not yet come across good works on Covenant theology in Logos, and will be interested to hear if anyone knows of any.

Posts 4986
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 14 2011 9:05 AM

Chris Roberts:

Unfortunately, the best resource is not in Logos. The Christ of the Covenants by O. Palmer Robertson is generally seen as one of the best discussions of Covenant theology. Michael Horton's God of Promise is also good, but again, not in Logos. I've not yet come across good works on Covenant theology in Logos, and will be interested to hear if anyone knows of any.

I was going to say the same thing.  There's also Introducing Covenant Theology by Michael Horton that's also not in Logos

Pink's The Divine Covenants is available in Logos--he writes from a covenantal Baptist point-of-view (differing view of the sacraments from Reformed), but he can be helpful.

So for the Presbyterian/Reformed view, we're limited to what the Reformed systematics say:

It would be good to have Robertson's and Horton's works in Logos.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 730
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 14 2011 9:27 AM

The book "Treaty of the Great King" by Meredith Kline is a good one. It is out of print and not in Logos, however, it can be pieced together.

The Wycliffe Bible Commentary Old Testament- The chapter on Deuteronomy is authored by Kline and contains most of the content of the book.

Also, The Westminster Theological Journal- contains several articles by Kline. Note: you can also get these at a better price by purchasing the Theological Journal Library.

I think the "Treaty" book is a combination of the Deuteronomy commentary and the article "Because it Had Not Rained" in Volume 20 Number 2 of WTJ, but I could be mistaken. It is a combination of the commentary and one of his articles from the journal.

There is also "The Covenant Formula" by Rolf Rendtorff. It's very scholarly but looks at the covenant structure of the old testament in the same manner Kline and Horton do, namely that the structure of God's covenant is the same as the suzerain/vassal treaties of the ANE.

By the way "Introducing Covenant Theology" and "God of Promise" by Michael Horton are the same book with different titles.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 14 2011 11:28 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I may have to opt to do this portion of my study outside Logos.

Posts 15663
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 14 2011 8:51 PM

Todd Phillips:

Chris Roberts:

It would be good to have Robertson's and Horton's works in Logos.

Yes, I second the recommendation of O. Palmer Robertson's Christ of the Covenants. I'm not familiar with Horton's book but would love to see Robertson in Logos. He also wrote a good one called The Israel of God: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow on how to view modern day Israel and the Church in light of biblical Israel.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 15 2011 8:26 PM

Thanks Rosie. I too hope that Logos will add a couple of these resources. It may be a little bit of a fringe study but I think it is worthwhile.

Posts 13
David Stockdale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:21 PM

As a Reformed reader, I find Feinberg's Continuity and Discontinuity to be a solid and concise work that compares Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism through their respective views on the relationship between the Old and New Testaments. A quote from the book:
  • "The topic under discussion in this book is broader than a discussion between Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism. Those views are the best-known examples of continuity and discontinuity positions respectively, but they are not the only ones. In fact, as the reader will see, there are even varieties of Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism. Theological positions can be placed on a continuum running from views which hold to absolute continuity between the Testaments to views holding to absolute discontinuity between the Testaments. The more one moves in the continuity direction, the more covenantal he becomes; and the more he moves in the discontinuity direction, the more dispensational he becomes.  All of the contributors to this volume hold positions well toward the center of the continuum, and all see both continuity and discontinuity between the Testaments. With this basic subject matter in mind, contributors were asked to discuss the relation of the Testaments from the perspective of one of the six issues covered in the book. Spokesmen from each side in the debate have discussed their topic from the perspective of whether they think there is more or less continuity or discontinuity between the Testaments on their topic. Contributors were allowed to approach their chapter as they thought best, and they were not given the opportunity to see the opposing article on their subject. Nonetheless, I think you will be pleased to see how the essays interact with the same issues and, in many cases, with the same passages of Scripture."
The table of contents:
  •   I.      HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE
  •      1.      CONTINUITY AND DISCONTINUITY: The Debate Throughout Church History - Rodney Petersen, Webster University
  •   II.      THEOLOGICAL SYSTEMS AND THE TESTAMENTS
  •      2.      SYSTEMS OF CONTINUITY  - Willem VanGemeren, Reformed Theological Seminary
  •      3.      SYSTEMS OF DISCONTINUITY  -   John S. Feinberg, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
  •   III.      HERMENEUTICS AND THE TESTAMENTS
  •      4.      HERMENEUTICS OF CONTINUITY  - O. Palmer Robertson, Pastor, Wallace Memorial Presbyterian Church
  •      5.      HERMENEUTICS OF DISCONTINUITY  - Paul D. Feinberg, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
  •   IV.      SALVATION AND THE TESTAMENTS
  •      6.      THE BIBLICAL METHOD OF SALVATION: A Case for Continuity  - Fred H. Klooster, Calvin Theological Seminary
  •      7.      THE BIBLICAL METHOD OF SALVATION: A Case for Discontinuity  - Allen P. Ross, Dallas Theological Seminary
  •   V.      THE LAW AND THE TESTAMENTS
  •      8.      THE LAW OF MOSES AND THE LAW OF CHRIST - Knox Chamblin, Reformed Theological Seminary
  •      9.      THE LAW OF MOSES OR THE LAW OF CHRIST - Douglas J. Moo, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
  •   VI.      THE PEOPLE OF GOD AND THE TESTAMENTS
  •      10.      ISRAEL AND THE CHURCH: A Case for Continuity  - Marten H. Woudstra, Calvin Theological Seminary
  •      11.      ISRAEL AND THE CHURCH: A Case for Discontinuity - Robert L. Saucy, Talbot Theological Seminary
  •   VII.      KINGDOM PROMISES AND THE TESTAMENTS
  •      12.      KINGDOM PROMISES AS SPIRITUAL -  Bruce K. Waltke, Westminster Theological Seminary
  •      13.      KINGDOM PROMISES AS SPIRITUAL AND NATIONAL  - Walter C. Kaiser, Jr., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
A quick glance at the list of authors and institutions demonstrates this work is a balanced and thoughtful treatment of a challenging subject.  I hope this helps you in your study.

Posts 7687
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:32 PM

Walter Kaiser somehow manages to sit between Covenantal and Dispensational Theology. His Promise Plan of God is in Logos. Four views on Moving Beyond the Bible to Theology is also useful.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:41 PM

David,
That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS