PRA's for L4?

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 4:55 AM

Bob Pritchett:

PRA's were more popular than we thought, and we see the advantage in some cases. We're looking at how to bring this back in an even better -- and less confusing to people who didn't attend an MP seminar -- way.

Yahoo! Thanks, Bob!

Charlene

Posts 155
James Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 5:30 AM

DominicM:

Alt + arrow now I believe

It is CTRL + Lft/Rgt Arrow on my machine... hmmm..

Jim

Posts 24
Larry Schmid | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:00 PM

Bob Pritchett:

PRA's were more popular than we thought, and we see the advantage in some cases. We're looking at how to bring this back in an even better -- and less confusing to people who didn't attend an MP seminar -- way.

Thanks Bob, that's good to hear.  As an alumni of Morris's seminars, I made heavy use of resource associations and was really disheartened during the beta to see them gone, and now am very glad to hear that this functionality is coming back. 

AKA WillyBurger

Posts 24
Van Vowell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:14 PM

I second that emotion!

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 2:21 AM

I'm also happy to hear they're going to be included in Logos 4.  I use PRAs constantly in 3.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 3:20 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Normally, I don't care to add another comment just to agree with all the other posts, but I feel that the return of PRAs is that important. So, I will add my voice to the chorus: THANK YOU, BOB! Yes

Jack

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 4:25 AM

Bob Pritchett:

RA's were more popular than we thought, and we see the advantage in some cases. We're looking at how to bring this back in an even better -- and less confusing to people who didn't attend an MP seminar -- way.

Glad to hear this. Can I suggest you integrate it with the collections feature? What would be useful would be a drop-down when reading the resource that allowed as to use Logos' auto PRA, or one of our own collections as the PRA. This would solve the great problem with v3 which was that a book couldn't be in two PRA's at the same time (well it could, but Logos would get confused and potentially jump to the wrong resources).

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:10 AM

Would it be possible to develop different Priorities in your Library? You could have your Bible Priorites, Commentary Priorities, Bible Dictionary Priorities, Language Priorities, and Custom Priorities acting as PRA's. Each Prioriity could be customized with an option to turn them off or on. Just an idea for development.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:32 AM

I attended a Morris Proctor seminar back in 2005 and PRA's were a big part of how I used Logos. I especially appreciated them for commentaries. However, they could be confusing since commentaries sets would join books together and every set had different division. One volume commentaries had to have a totally different approach.  There was one Bible Exposition book commentary that I had to leave out completely as combined a historical book with prophetical books. To switch passages, I had to be in a commentary set that covered both passages or I couldn't make the jump. Yet, I made PRA's work for me. I would add my voice to those liking to see PRA's continue in some format, less confusing would be better.

It would be nice to be able to set PRA's (or favorites) for each Bible book individually.

Others have mentioned keylinks. I used them, but found them confusing in bringing up Greek books. The Greek books were not keylinked the same way and it is hard to bring up the right book. I think that Greek would as well be better served by favorites, rather than keylinks.

I would like the concept of PRA's and Keylink to come back, but in a new and better format.

Wayne

Posts 157
James Garriss | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:19 PM

PRA's are important to me as well.  One way to group them might be with tags.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:41 AM

I would like to put a verse in the passage guide and have Logos 4 open up to my favorite commentary for that Bible book, whether it be a one volume Bible commentary set or a individual book commentary. There is no commentary set that is good in all books. It would be nice to be able to set our own preferences for each Bible book, for biblical languages, dictionaries, etc. I think that this would be a significant improvement over the pra's from L3.

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:53 AM

Please bring them back. Thank you!

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:41 AM

James Brown:

DominicM:

Alt + arrow now I believe

It is CTRL + Lft/Rgt Arrow on my machine... hmmm..

Jim

You only need to press the arrow key. I have NAC open and when I press arrow it goes to other commentaries.

Posts 54
Andrew Loney | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:09 PM

I am gratified to hear that PRA's are being considered for L4. While I'm not a heavy L3 user like many on this forum, I consider PRA's one of the best ways to direct and organize my Bible research. Not all books are equally valuable (and each of us have our own priority lists). This along with customizable right-click keylinks are critical to those of us who wish to organize our library to meet our research requirements. I've not been to any L3 training and I figured this stuff out without too much difficulty, but I agree that making it easier to use is a good idea. Just don't make it simpler; we need the power we know in L3 and the improved automation and consistency we're seeing in L4.

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:49 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Bob,

Thank you for listening and considering how to bring this function back!  It is a great tool that you developed before, and has a huge benefit when prioritizing which resources I like to use for specific studies (books and topics).  I look forward to what you develop!

mike

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 7:43 AM

PRAs were invaluable in my study as well. Thank you for trying to make them even better.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 7:49 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Wow! I apparently totally missed this announcment.

+++++++1 Yes

Posts 19312
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:35 AM

Mark Barnes:

Can I suggest you integrate it with the collections feature? What would be useful would be a drop-down when reading the resource that allowed as to use Logos' auto PRA, or one of our own collections as the PRA. This would solve the great problem with v3 which was that a book couldn't be in two PRA's at the same time (well it could, but Logos would get confused and potentially jump to the wrong resources).

That's a great suggestion, Mark! I never used PRAs in Logos 3 because I hadn't figured out how to use them until I got so fed up at seeing all the Targumic Fragments all the time and forced myself to learn how to work around that. But by that time, Logos 4 was just around the corner so I didn't ever work through other ways that PRAs might have been useful to me. Now that we can hide resources in L4, I wouldn't need to use them for what I was using them for in L3, but I'm sure there are other purposes and I support those who would like to see them return in some form or other. Knowing they'd be more L4-like in a new implementation, I'm sure I would get to know them and love them.

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 4:48 PM

Josh Wilson:

A couple quick follow up questions.

1. Is there a comprehensive list of shortcuts/hotkeys somewhere?

go to help in L4 (F1) and under basics click 'keyboard shortcuts'.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 4:51 PM

Bob Pritchett:
PRA's were more popular than we thought, and we see the advantage in some cases.

I am very happy about this; PRA's were integral to my use of L3 and I would like more control in some instances over what L4 thinks are parallel

They they were relatively intuitive and self explanatory after somebody explained it. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS