International Critical Commentary Commentary Set (Logos or EPub)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:13 PM

I am FINALLY in a financial position that would allow me to purchase the ICC set through Logos. However, I recently discovered that you can also get this set, including a download in a variety of formats, on-line for free. So, my question is, what is the justification for purchasing the set through LOGOS if I can get it in a usable format for free.

Any help you can give me would be great. Perhaps I'm just a little "scared" to push the submit button because I've waited so very long.

Blessings,

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:29 PM

Christina:
However, I recently discovered that you can also get this set, including a download in a variety of formats, on-line for free. So, my question is, what is the justification for purchasing the set through LOGOS if I can get it in a usable format for free.

You have partially answered your own question - "variety of formats" is the key. I have the ICC in PDF format and when I can afford it I will get it into my Logos library. I have many books in PDF format and have the most extensive tools made for searching, editing, and otherwise manipulating the files. I still find them much more "useful" in Logos format. I just fire up the program and open a resource. If I want to search everything at once I just click a few  buttons.

If you want a little encouragement to make the leap, call Dave Kaplan in Sales.

Dave Kaplan
800-875-6467 ext. 2304
Direct Line - 360-685-2304
or email him  kaplan@logos.com   Big Smile  I promise he won't raise the price on you. Wink

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:31 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I still find them much more "useful" in Logos format.

Also the newest replacement volumes (and arguably, the most useful) are not available for free:

Barrett, Acts
Cranfield, Romans
Davies/Allison,  Matthew
MacIntosh, Hosea
McKane, Jeremiah
Thrall, Second Corinthians

(EDITED to remove the Kings volume I listed accidentally)

But they are included in the Logos set.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:33 PM

Todd Phillips:

Matthew C Jones:
I still find them much more "useful" in Logos format.

Also the newest replacement volumes (and arguably, the most useful) are not available for free:

Barrett, Acts
Cranfield, Romans
Davies/Allison,  Matthew
MacIntosh, Hosea
McKane, Jeremiah
Montgomery, Kings
Thrall, Second Corinthians

But they are included in Logos.

Very true indeed.   My ICC collection sports a few volumes older than my father (I love you Dad!)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:38 PM

Christina:
push the submit button

Have you looked at the Forum Week Sale? All of it? If not, I strongly suggest you do that before you push any buttons. Sorry I'm cryptic, but I'm not supposed to reveal any details of the sale...

Besides, for big items like this you can almost always get a better price from a sales rep than you can by pushing buttons on the website.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10212
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:49 PM

I can't speak to fgh's crypto-hints. But I'd STRONGLY recommend you download a few of the ICC volumes and try them out.

I enjoy the more critical commentaries and agree completely with the above comments on the more modern volumes. But I don't think I'd pay for the older ICC's. Some are classics, no doubt ... great for an evening reading on a fun PDF reader.

Plus I'll have to admit, I have a LOT of fun with the PDF'd images (instead of text) of older volumes, You can draw arrows, highlight, and really have fun marking up the text. Modern electronic publishing just doesn't provide so much enjoyment!

Posts 6477
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:45 PM

The age of the ICC volumes is what has kept me from buying them.  But I can tell you this: I would sure love to see NICOT sold as a separate set without having to buy the NICNT.  I mean, if I had money I would buy them both, but to make it easy I would first buy the OT set and then the NT, but as far as the ICC goes, they're too old to justify me spending that kind of money on them; now if I had money to spare, then I guess I would add both the OT and NT to my Logos Library, but  I think I would probably go for the NICOT instead.  I still need to build my OT commentary library.

Blessings!

DA

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:09 AM

Denise Barnhart:
I can't speak to fgh's crypto-hints.

fgh is right. At the moment it's very much worth your while responding to this post before making any purchasing decisions: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/34510.aspx

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 7:51 AM

Yes, I did look at the Forum Week Sale (I'm cryptic too, not revealing anything except it made my decision making process even harder) and the button I was going to push was actually the response to the e-mail I received. However, I did actually download a couple of the books, in a PDF format - tried the Kindle format, but it didn't work, and I was tired after downloading 4 books. Then I realized that I'll have to sync them to ALL of my devices and (yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah) the experience showed me that if I'm serious about this set then the Logos format is the way to go.

Now that my ICC decision is out of the way, I'm on my way to the Apple store to purchase a new 27 inch, Core i5, Quad-core iMac. My last child graduated from high school on June 1st, and this purchase is a graduation gift to ME, his devoted Mom (okay, I just want the computer and will use anyone to provide the logical reasoning for my decision) and the ICC set is just the icing on top of the cake!

Thanks to all of you for your keen insight and suggestions. And thank you Logos for Forum Week. What an amazing concept, even if my book budget for 2011 will soon be expended once I "hit" the reply button.

Blessings and love!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2011 8:27 AM

I am confused why individual volumes are so expensive.  If you go to T&T Clark's website and buy Allison/Davies on Matthew straight from the publisher it is $55 per volume (http://www.continuumbooks.com/series/detail.aspx?SeriesId=1991).  Logos says the volumes retail at $120-130 ea.  What gives?

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2011 8:49 AM

David Sloan:
I am confused why individual volumes are so expensive.  If you go to T&T Clark's website and buy Allison/Davies on Matthew straight from the publisher it is $55 per volume

That's because those are paperback copies and the Logos versions are deluxe leather-bound editions. Devil

You make a good point. The hardbacks were probably $120. Logos should lower their individual volume pricing. They are over priced.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 10212
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2011 9:23 AM

Let's slow down here and take a breath. The Logos volumes have guilded covers that require hand re-touching for each customer. Collectable!

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2011 9:47 AM

If they'll bring the price down below the retail for the paperback I'd buy them.  I just can't see paying more (>2x as much!) than the publisher itself charges for the books, as great as these three volumes are.

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 22 2011 10:31 AM

David Sloan:
If they'll bring the price down below the retail for the paperback I'd buy them. 

If Logos brings them to retail that's all I'd expect. It's been their policy to stay close to retail prices when they break up a set like this. Retail is much less than what they currently want, gold leaf covers or not.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS