FW QUESTION: How do I look up only a favourite commentary in each book of the Bible?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 111
Richard Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:14 PM

When I have a quick question on a verse, I usually go to one particular commentary to read what it says. So I don't want to do a Passage Guide, too much information. I have a favourite commentary on each book of the Bible, that are in different series, sometimes Word, sometimes Pillar, etc. So at the moment I have to remember or look up my favourite commentary on that book, use Library or the command box to open it, and then look for the verse. What would be the best way to set up Logos so that I just have to type in the verse (in the command box or elsewhere), and Logos knows which commentary to look up for that verse and opens it there?

Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:10 PM

Make a collection that contains only those favorite commentaries. Then make a custom Passage Guide that contains just one commentaries section, with that commentary collection selected in it.

Then when you run a PG (using this custom guide template -- select it from the Guides menu) on any passage, Logos will look only within that commentary collection, and of course it will only find one relevant commentary -- the one you'd selected for that book of the Bible.

For more on making custom passage guides, see http://wiki.logos.com/Customizing_the_Passage_and_Exegetical_Guides

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:21 AM

Rosie's suggestion is a good one. Let me add two thoughts.

1. You can drag the custom passage guide from the Guides menu to the shortcut bar to speed up access.
  2. If you have commentaries in the list that cover multiple bible books, it might not work quite so well. For example, the Matthew commentary I like the most is Carson's, but that's bound in a set with Mark and Luke, which aren't my favourite commentaries on those book. All it will mean is that I'll get two results for Luke and Mark when I run the custom PG. You can use advanced prioritisation to ensure that your 'real' favourite is at the top: http://wiki.logos.com/Prioritizing#Example_1.3a_customizing_a_priority_of_a_commentary_for_specific_books
Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:28 AM

Also you might not get any results at all if you are running the custom PG on a rather limited range of verses and your favorite commentary doesn't happen to have any comments on those verses. In a normal PG at least you'd get some hits if other commentaries mentioned those verses.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 5:56 AM

Rosie Perera:

Also you might not get any results at all if you are running the custom PG on a rather limited range of verses and your favorite commentary doesn't happen to have any comments on those verses. In a normal PG at least you'd get some hits if other commentaries mentioned those verses.

Along the same lines if you add a commentary that covers the whole bible to that collection (e.g. Bible Knowledge Commentary) and then set the collection to "show in parallel resources" you can keep the whole bible commentary synced with your Bible. Then when you want to read your favorite commentary on that particular book hit the Parrallel resources icon in the Whole bible commentary and it will have as the second option your favorite commentary.

Posts 111
Richard Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 3:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. They all do just what I wanted. The forum works again.

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 11:53 AM

This thread and the following users were selected by a panel of 5 judges as winners for the "Get an answer to that burning question" event.

Way to go Richard Wilson and Rosie Perera! Look for an email about your prize credit.

An honorable mention goes to Mark Barnes for giving some helpful additional input.

Posts 10645
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2011 3:35 AM

Stephen Smith:

Way to go Richard Wilson and Rosie Perera! Look for an email about your prize credit.

An honorable mention goes to Mark Barnes for giving some helpful additional input.

Didn't Halo Hound also offer "helpful additional input"?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS