Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8
Clark Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 17 2011 12:14 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to search the Greek text of Josephus. I open Josephus (in Greek), click on the search button and up comes "Morphological Bible Search". Problem: in the "Range" box I can't find any way to specify the Josephus texts. The "Range" box (and "Custom" also) only seem to allow Biblical ranges.

Using the "Basic Search" function lets me specify the books I want (Josephus' Works in Greek), but that isn't helpful, because I can't search on a lemma from there. There must be a way to do a lemma search on a nonBible text. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Posts 3320
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 12:35 PM

Hi Clark, welcome to the Forum!

Clark Bradley:
I'm trying to search the Greek text of Josephus.

1. In your Greek copy of Josephus, right click on a Greek word that you want to do a lemma search on.

2. In the pop-up menu (on the right side) click on Lemma

3. On the left side click on Search this resource

4. Logos 4 will open the Search window and fill in all the appropriate fields.

QLinks, Bibl2, Reporter, Macros
Dell Insp 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 G, 4G RAM, Vista

Posts 3150
Forum MVP
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 12:38 PM

If I am using the same resource as you, you can do a search for a Greek word in manuscript for like this:

Or, you can do a lemma search associated with a manuscript word like this:

Does this get at what you are trying to do?

Posts 8
Clark Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 10:04 PM

Thanks Dominick,

The second option does what I want--a lemma search.

Posts 8842
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 10:28 PM

Clark Bradley:

Hi,

I'm trying to search the Greek text of Josephus. I open Josephus (in Greek), click on the search button and up comes "Morphological Bible Search". Problem: in the "Range" box I can't find any way to specify the Josephus texts. The "Range" box (and "Custom" also) only seem to allow Biblical ranges.

Using the "Basic Search" function lets me specify the books I want (Josephus' Works in Greek), but that isn't helpful, because I can't search on a lemma from there. There must be a way to do a lemma search on a nonBible text. Can anyone help?

Thanks

You can open a morph search and specify Josephus as the target then indicate the lemma and further specify the form you want (or not if you aren't looking for a particular form.  See attached searches both with before and after a passage is selected for display.  Before ...

After

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8
Clark Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 10:35 PM

Thanks George,

This forum has been really helpful. Thank you all.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS