Upgrade prices with Minimal Crossgrade?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 236
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:03 PM

Hi!

I couldn't find the answer for that, so I ask it here:

If I buy the Minimal Crossgrade with $69,95, do I get Base Package upgrades cheaper after that? Now it shows in http://www.logos.com/upgrade that I would get 15% discount to Base Packages, but will the upgrade prices get down from that if I decide to buy just the Minimal Crossgrade now (and a Base Package later)?

What about the program features? Is there a big difference between Minimal Crossgrade, Bible Study and Scholar's? Are for example the Pronunciation Tools and Visualizations helpful?

I'm using Logos mainly for Bible taching and sermon preparation and for personal Bible study. The main features I'm missing now are the orginal language texts, lexicons and morphologies + the PBB. I already have just the engine and some resources that are not included in the Base Packages (commentaries, study bibles, free resources etc.).

Options I'm considering are the following:

1) Minimal Crossgrade + http://www.logos.com/product/8484/stuttgart-electronic-study-bible
($249,90)

2) Bible Study + http://www.logos.com/product/8484/stuttgart-electronic-study-bible
($405,16)

3) Scholar's ($535,46)

Of course the Scholar's is the best option, but it's so expensive and it has many resources I don't need at all...

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Posts 10661
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:21 PM

Hello Mikko (from Finland, I presume?), and welcome to the forums!

Mikko Paavola:
Now it shows in http://www.logos.com/upgrade that I would get 15% discount to Base Packages, but will the upgrade prices get down from that if I decide to buy just the Minimal Crossgrade now (and a Base Package later)?

I do own the Minimal Crossgrade and the SESB and some other resources. When I click on the upgrade page, it offers me 15% discount. However, other users in the forum keep telling that calling a sales rep directly may give them the opportunity to check whether one has paid resources that would be part of a package and then lower the price accordingly.

Mikko Paavola:
Is there a big difference between Minimal Crossgrade, Bible Study and Scholar's?

Yes, there is. Minimal Crossgrade contains nearly no resources at all, safe for the biblical people/places/things pictures and program functionality. To get a grip on the others, look at http://www.logos.com/comparison 

Scholar's seems (with a number of inaccuracies) like an addition of Bible Study and Original Languages (OL). Note that SESB and OL may have some overlaps, as I understand. However, if you want to focus on original languages, Bible Study may not be the best choice for you.If you have already what you need in terms of sermon preparation and commentaries, you may rather go for OL / Scholars or stick with the crossgrade and invest into SESB and other resources (you know there's a big sale going on right now?).

Pronunciation is part of the OL package and also of Scholars, but you may buy it separately, which is what I did (along with the Greek Audio NT). I think it helps me, but I'm a new learner of NT Greek. 

Hope this helps a bit,

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:35 PM

Mikko Paavola:
If I buy the Minimal Crossgrade with $69,95, do I get Base Package upgrades cheaper after that? Now it shows in http://www.logos.com/upgrade that I would get 15% discount to Base Packages, but will the upgrade prices get down from that if I decide to buy just the Minimal Crossgrade now (and a Base Package later)?

You don't say what base package you have at the moment. That matters in determining best value for you.

Posts 10661
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:37 PM

Mark Barnes:
You don't say what base package you have at the moment.

Mark, the OP reads

Mikko Paavola:
I already have just the engine and some resources that are not included in the Base Package

so I'm assuming no base package at all.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:55 PM

NewbieMick:
Pronunciation is part of the OL package

Pronunciation is not part of OLL.

Mikko Paavola:

You should be aware that the SESB will be updated in half a year. Buying then will probably be cheaper than buying now and upgrading.

Also, note that there are two versions of the SESB: one "full" version, and one for Logos users who already own most of the language resources through their base packages. But compare carefully: the cheaper package also lacks some stuff that isn't in Logos, like some European language Bibles.

If you need original language tools, but don't need the apparatuses, the Original Languages Library offers very good value.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10661
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 3:00 PM

fgh:

NewbieMick:
Pronunciation is part of the OL package

Pronunciation is not part of OLL.

Pardon me, that was an error on my side. Pronunciation is part of the Base Packages from Scholar upwards.

Mick

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 3:10 PM

NewbieMick:

Mark Barnes:
You don't say what base package you have at the moment.

Mark, the OP reads

Mikko Paavola:
I already have just the engine and some resources that are not included in the Base Package

Thanks, Mick.

Mikko: If you don't already have a base package, I would not recommend getting the minimal crossgrade. The crossgrade is designed for people who already have a base package. Make sure you read the note about Bibles at the bottom of the crossgrade page.

Remember too, that you can get the engine for free: http://www.logos.com/4ways- I don't recommend that either, but at least it's free!

Although the base packages include lots of things you don't need, they'll probably still be cheaper than purchasing the resources separately. I'd recommend making a list of the resources you like in the base packages you're considering, and adding up their cost.

As far as tools are concerned, I wouldn't get anything less than OL, because the OL and above tools are the basic tools you need for serious study. Whether Silver is worthwhile or not, I'm not sure. I find pronunciation useful (each of the Greek lemmas can be pronounced for you), and New Testament Semantic Domain Coding is extremely useful if it means Louw-Nida coding in reverse interlinears.

Posts 10661
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 3:35 PM

Mark,

I hate to disagree with a MVP, but: it may well be that the crossgrade was originally

Mark Barnes:
designed for people who already have a base package.
, however, Logos themselves advise "The Minimal Crossgrade gives you the minimum tools you need to experience Logos Bible Software 4. It includes only the engine, plus a few essential resources for Logos 4 to work properly.", see http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade and it contains the reverse interlinears, the LCV database that is needed for some of the functionality, and Strong's, TSK and other study resources. From my experience this works very well.

I understood Mikko to already have the free engine from http://www.logos.com/4ways and now contemplating to move on. He should try to make a list of the most useful features and resources that he wants to use - I concur that a base package comes cheaper than selective buying over a period of time (maybe OL or Scholars spread over a payment plan?).

Mick

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 18 2011 1:39 AM

NewbieMick:
I hate to disagree with a MVP

Disagree away Smile - that's what forums are for!

NewbieMick:
it contains the reverse interlinears,

It does, but it only contains reverse interlinears for Bibles you already have licences for. (Mikko: sorry for talking about you in the third person! I hope this is helpful to you, too!). If Mikko has lots of Bibles then I the minimal crossgrade could be OK for him, but (a) I took from his post he probably wouldn't be interested in pictures or Strongs, etc., but wanted more 'serious' tools; and (b) he didn't have many Bibles. My concern therefore was that he wouldn't get much value out of the crossgrade.

Posts 236
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 19 2011 7:03 AM

Hi!

Thanks to all for helpful information! Sorry for not answering earlier. Have been busy.

I compared the different options and decided to buy the Scholar's package. It seems to be the first one that has all the program features and it includes much original language resources. The only minus is it doesn't have the apparatuses for BHS and NA27, but I need them so seldom I can check them from the printed versions.

It has also much resources I don't need (ministry, sermon outlines, devotionals, so many English Bibles...), that makes the package expensive, but I think it was still worth of that money. Minimal Crossgrade / Bible Study + SESB would have been cheaper, but they are lacking many features.

Now I have 710 resources, so I needed to do some collections to handle it. Earlier I had just the engine and some resources (free resources + Study Bibles, WBC, Luther's Works etc.)

Logos 4 is excellent (and expensive) software! I'm waiting for PBB to get more Finnish resources to study with.

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Posts 10901
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 19 2011 7:48 AM

Smart choice. I read what you were doing, and I think you picked well. You'll love it!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS