Buying individual titles in a set

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 32
Blair | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 19 2011 8:02 AM

I've done a bit of a search around to see how I can purchase an individual title from a commentary set but can't seem to do it. Are these things only sold as a comlete set.? I'm after Boring's Revelation from the Interpretation series.

Can anyone help?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2011 8:25 AM

It usually takes a couple of years until commentary sets and collections are broken up and sold separately. And that is only if the publisher allows it. Some don't.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2011 12:20 PM

If they are not listed individually then you probably cannot them that way. Which series (or volumes from that series) are you looking at?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2011 12:42 PM

Fred Chapman:
Which series (or volumes from that series) are you looking at?

Blair:
I'm after Boring's Revelation from the Interpretation series.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2011 4:52 PM

fgh:

Blair:

Sorry, I missed that when I read the orginal post. That one is not available individually. It would not hurt to email or call logos sales and see what they can do for you (if anything).

Posts 32
Blair | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 7:44 PM

Thanks Fred.
So even on digital editions, publishers decide whether a book is sold as part of a set or individually? How is it that I can buy so many hard copies individually, then?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:21 PM

Blair, my hypothesis on this is that, being the digital book market is so new, publishers start off with a profit mindset that covers them (in case this market goes bust) and it will eventually transition into an availability mindset as the market matures and develops.  Since I do not believe print media, and books in particular will ever completely go away, I wonder if this buyer's market will ever come.*

* I have no basis for this; just my thoughts

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:22 AM

Blair:

So even on digital editions, publishers decide whether a book is sold as part of a set or individually? How is it that I can buy so many hard copies individually, then?

I offer another possible explanation here.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:36 AM

Blair:

I've done a bit of a search around to see how I can purchase an individual title from a commentary set but can't seem to do it. Are these things only sold as a comlete set.? I'm after Boring's Revelation from the Interpretation series.

Can anyone help?

Blair,

I noticed your post while doing another search on the Interpretation Series. This might answer your question.....

Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching Revelation is now available from Logos Bible Software. http://www.logos.com/product/15695/interpretation-a-bible-commentary-for-teaching-and-preaching-revelation

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:47 AM

Blair:

Can anyone help?

Here you are:

http://www.logos.com/product/15695/interpretation-a-bible-commentary-for-teaching-and-preaching-revelation

Posts 32
Blair | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 6:47 PM

Thanks James. They must have recently split the set up. (The Achtemeier title is Romans, BTW)

Posts 32
Blair | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 6:48 PM

Thanks, Stephen. Seems they just recently split the set. I picked up a new hard copy for $6 in the meantime.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS