Foxe's Book of Martyrs

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 20 2011 4:27 PM

Considering its historical and devotional importance, combined with the difficulty in finding anything other than an abridged version, could Logos publish a full reprint of Foxes Book of Martyrs?

This is one of the most influential books in the English language, with only snippets being contained in "The New Encyclopedia of Christian Martyrs" which is the closest Logos come to this work. It would make an excellent Community Pricing resource.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 5:41 PM

Noticed ePub version available => http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22400

Also read Project Gutenberg license => http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:The_Project_Gutenberg_License

Wonder if free ePub books in Project Gutenberg could be free in Vyrso ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 7:54 PM

Mike Pettit:
could Logos publish a full reprint of Foxes Book of Martyrs?

Yes

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 138
Steve Caswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 20 2011 8:11 PM

I agree that this would be a great inclusion to Logos Library. The original works are by far the best. There are at least two versions that I know of.  ISBN 0-310-24390-4

Stev Caswell

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:06 AM

And how about Martyrs Mirror?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:48 AM

I'd be more interested in the Roman Martyrology. (I know it's been suggested before, but I can't find the thread now.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:58 AM

Steve Caswell:
I agree that this would be a great inclusion to Logos Library. The original works are by far the best.

The original, unedited, publication was "Actes and Monuments"  and was in fact much larger than the single volume modern title we know as Foxe's Book of Martyrs. I do not know of any online copy of the full version but I do know of a digitized PDF file.

(There are the shorter editions available in Google Books.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3069
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 12:14 PM

I just picked this one up yesterday. You can either get it in Kindle, hard cover or audio. It's an updated language format.

In the introduction to the new version it gives an example of how some of the older language has been updated:

Original sentence in Foxe's Book of Martyrs: "But because there were put to no fewer green faggots than two horses could carry upon their backs, it kindled not by and by, and was a pretty while also before it took the reeds upon the faggots."

New sentence in The New Foxe's Book of Martyrs: "But too many green faggots had been used, almost as many as two horses could carry, and it took some time for the reeds to ignite the faggots."

The publisher explains on the next page that certains like "faggot" are not defined by Foxe since it was assumed by everyone what was meant. They also go on to say that there are other words as well that Foxe did not explain because, once again, all reading, would know what was meant. For example, Halberd, pike Fleet Prison, Smithfield etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxes-Book-Martyrs-Pure-Classics/dp/0882708759/ref=sr_1_34?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324152121&sr=1-34

mm.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:54 PM

Milkman:

I just picked this one up yesterday. You can either get it in Kindle, hard cover or audio. It's an updated language format.

In the introduction to the new version it gives an example of how some of the older language has been updated:

Original sentence in Foxe's Book of Martyrs: "But because there were put to no fewer green faggots than two horses could carry upon their backs, it kindled not by and by, and was a pretty while also before it took the reeds upon the faggots."

New sentence in The New Foxe's Book of Martyrs: "But too many green faggots had been used, almost as many as two horses could carry, and it took some time for the reeds to ignite the faggots."

The publisher explains on the next page that certains like "faggot" are not defined by Foxe since it was assumed by everyone what was meant. They also go on to say that there are other words as well that Foxe did not explain because, once again, all reading, would know what was meant. For example, Halberd, pike Fleet Prison, Smithfield etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxes-Book-Martyrs-Pure-Classics/dp/0882708759/ref=sr_1_34?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324152121&sr=1-34

And for those who do not know what a "faggot" is - it's a bundled pile of sticks. :)

Posts 343

I am surprised there isn't foxe book of martyrs yet. I imagine it will be available eventually. 

Jason Saling

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS