The Working Desktop

Page 1 of 9 (161 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:34 PM

Friends,

On June 16, MVP Thomas Black did a guest blog titled "Logos Helps Me Hit the Ground Running." Thomas included a great pic of his desktop. Not his PC workspace layout, but his real, analog desk. I felt so affirmed!  Here was a working desk in all it's busy glory.

So I'm thinking: maybe we could post pictures of our desks, just as they are. Perhaps they are a window into our workdays.

This is the "home desk." There's one at the church office that looks much the same. I am reminded of a proverb: "If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, an empty desk is the sign of..."

Wink

Steve Johnson 

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2011 7:18 PM

Excellent Pic Steve!  Thanks for the counter-encouragement.

As for the rest of you - I'd love to see your work environments if you're up to it.  (Make sure Logos is on the computer monitor!)

Neat freaks need not apply - I don't think I can handle that kind of reinforcement.  Wink

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2011 8:01 PM

Hi Steve, enjoyed the glimpse.  If I didn't know better I would say that is Ray Summers Greek grammar sitting on top of a NA26(no make that a UBS) right below the hat collection and under the spiral notebook.  Am I warm?  (I'm a graduate of Southwestern also BTW.)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2011 8:54 PM

Jerry M:

Hi Steve, enjoyed the glimpse.  If I didn't know better I would say that is Ray Summers Greek grammar sitting on top of a NA26(no make that a UBS) right below the hat collection and under the spiral notebook.  Am I warm?  (I'm a graduate of Southwestern also BTW.)

Yep! Got it in one. But I think Summers was from my undergrad at East Texas Baptist, where i did baby Greek. We used Dana & Mantey's grammar at SWBTS.

Your eyesight is AMAZING!

smj

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2011 9:14 PM

Top shelf: recent Father's Day Sunday School craft; Charles Spurgeon Bobblehead; various hardback systematic theologies; Incomplete hardback NACSB&T Series; 

Third Shelf: thousands of books on screen; Midwestern Journal of Theology; Logos 4 Mac Training Manuals

Second and First Shelf: Random Books I bought prior to owning Logos

I've been relegated to a sewing table in a corner of our apartment since the arrival of our son.  I make due!

Posts 27671
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 22 2011 9:30 PM

Paul - I am praying for you iMac to survive the folding table. Ouch! ;)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 5:22 AM

alabama24:

Paul - I am praying for you iMac to survive the folding table. Ouch! ;)

My thoughts as well!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 987
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 5:46 AM

Paul Newsome:
Charles Spurgeon Bobblehead

Where did you get that!?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 7:03 AM

Richard, My school owns the largest collection of Charles Spurgeon's personal study library available.  Naturally CS bobbleheads start popping up for sale in the campus bookstore.  If I'm not mistaken they're only available through the 6 SBC seminary campus stores.  

They're's nothing quite like an affirming nod from the Prince of Preachers after searching through every resource Logos has made available from him
(poor attempt at keeping post Logos specific) 

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 7:57 AM

Paul newsome:
(poor attempt at keeping post Logos specific)
 But it was a good "poor attempt."  LOL

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:20 AM

Here's the unedited version of where I sit day after day after day.... Thomas (Black) told me not to clean it up...heheh.

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:24 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
Here's the unedited version of where I sit day after day after day....

Now this is awesome and what I aspire to one day... and Charles, are you a lefty?

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:31 AM

Actually I am not ... While it's more comfortable to use the mouse with my left hand, among other things, I write with my right. While eating the knife is always in my left hand, but everything else is with the right. That is unsettling to folks who're not used to quirky dudes. In the picture the main screen is on the right.

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:34 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:

In the picture the main screen is on the right.

I admire the three-monitor approach.  With a notebook I think I'm limited to two.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:35 AM

Ok, I thought you might have had your main screen as one of the sides and not the center.  Have you ever had eye fatigue from switching between three different screen models?  I've wondered if a solid graphics card could remedy this if it was an issue.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:56 AM

Steve Johnson:

With a notebook I think I'm limited to two.

Steve, I found a nifty thing (USB 2.0 Sabrent display adapter, Viewmax) over at TigerDirect that works with the DisplayLink software. This tiny thing plugs into the USB port. This gives me the regular VGA port and the DVI for 2 of the monitors. With this adapter I can add the third. The literature says I could add more monitors, but that's enough for me. The monitor on the left is actually a television monitor that I could switch back to TV if I want. When I dropped my VCRs about 3 months ago this monitor was left over, so I dragged it in here. Perhaps on your laptop you could add a 3rd monitor if you need it. All 3 of my monitors are from a refurbished bin somewhere. I've never paid full price for one, so all three together may have cost me almost $150.00 over two years or so. I really don't care if all three are different sizes and manufacturers ... they do the job and I'm grateful.

Paul Newsome:

Ok, I thought you might have had your main screen as one of the sides and not the center.  Have you ever had eye fatigue from switching between three different screen models?  I've wondered if a solid graphics card could remedy this if it was an issue.

At my advanced age I wear trifocals. By tilting my head appropriately I avoid eye fatigue. I've discovered that with multiple monitors that my eyes are moving rather than fixed on one point, a factor that diminishes eye fatigue. Occasionally I'll move the display so that the main screen is the center one depending on the task at hand. My device manager shows that I have a ATI Radeon HD 4350 and Windows Live Display driver using Windows 7 (64-bit), 8GB of memory, with an AMD Phenom II X4 910 Processor 2.60GHz. And all that's networked with another desktop running XP that runs my email and website..but that's another story. Stick out tongue

Posts 9
Paul White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 9:18 AM

I'm on Sabbatical at the moment and had just cleared my desk!!!

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 9:38 AM

Paul,

All I can say is, "WOW!"Cool

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 9:43 AM

Paul White:
had just cleared my desk!!!
NOT FAIR!

Check the Wiki

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 9:43 AM

Paul White:

I'm on Sabbatical at the moment and had just cleared my desk!!!

It's so CLEAN!  Pristine, like the sixth day of creation.  I like the kid art, too.

Uh, what's a Sabbatical?  Smile

Page 1 of 9 (161 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS