The Working Desktop

Page 5 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 1:10 AM

Mark Barnes:
I estimate probably 80% of my commentaries and reference works are in Logos, but perhaps only 20% of my monographs.

I hope I get that high Sad But I'll admit that I wouldn't have the full set of Anchor, Hermeneia and Forms of Old Testament Literature if it weren't for LogosBig Smile And the person who received my partial sets is very happy too.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 56
AA7163 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 6:21 AM

I need a clean desk or I can't work.  It seems from this thread that if you are a logos user, you are going to have at least 2 monitors.  I know I decided I needed a second one as soon as I got logos.

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 7:03 AM

Austin Anderson:

I need a clean desk or I can't work.  It seems from this thread that if you are a logos user, you are going to have at least 2 monitors.  I know I decided I needed a second one as soon as I got logos.

Austin, I like your improvised notebook stand. I'm using two clothespins connected by a chopstick at the office.

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 10:50 AM

Austin Anderson:

I've managed with only one monitor for many years and don't anticipate getting a second.  I think <alt-tab> is sufficient.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27682
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 5:01 PM

Tangelia Burkett:

Thanks so much. One more question, On the home page to logos 4, the article only showing three pages, instead in 7. How do I get the remaining pages?

Tangelia - 

If I understand your question, you are saying that the "welcome page" has "only" 3 pages. One thing to keep in mind is that various monitors will display more or less pages. Also, If you make your window smaller, it will increase the number of "pages." This does not increase or decrease the amount of content - just the number of "pages" that content is displayed on.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 4:50 AM

This room is the heart of my operations and  between these two computers I have 3 Terabytes of storage that hold every sermon, Sunday school lesson, bulletin article and song that I have used in the past 7 years. The computer on the right is actually a file server that mirrors the files on computer on the left. There is also about 10 years of photos on both. Both systems are backed up to a cloud service. The initial backup took over a week for each one.

When I am working at the church office I use my laptop and have remote access that enables me to use all programs and files on my main system. I have a flash drive that holds all of my current working files (also backed up to the cloud).

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:42 AM

Bob Schlessman:
This room is the heart of my operations and  between these two computers I have 3 Terabytes of storage that hold every sermon, Sunday school lesson, bulletin article and song that I have used in the past 7 years. The computer on the right is actually a file server that mirrors the files on computer on the left. There is also about 10 years of photos on both. Both systems are backed up to a cloud service. The initial backup took over a week for each one.
Bob,

you're one of the few people I know who take backups seriously.  Congratulations or commiserations on that depending on your take.

Like you, I have mirroring and backup all over the place. All five of my household computers (self, wife, kids) are set to mirror my files when I log onto them once a week or so.  I have a NAS set to Full RAID mirror which houses a local copy.  And I have mirrored everything into the cloud instantly (as soon as I hit save on a document that copy get's mirrored and stored. I keep a permanent copy of my entire ministry documents folder synced to my Blackberry, every time I plug it in a backup runs to bring that up to date.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 8:10 AM

OK, here's mine, without doing any decluttering (there's hardly room for any clutter on my desk since it's so filled up with hardware, but it does manage to get more cluttered than this from time to time -- Diet Coke bottles strewn around, piles of books and paper on top of the keyboard on the left, etc.):

My main machine, the "mongo computer" running Windows 7 which I normally run Logos on, is the one on the right. The one on the left is my old XP machine which I rarely turn on anymore, except to figure out how something used to work in XP to help someone who is still using it.

Posts 987
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 8:10 AM

OK.  Here's my desk at home.  I hope it's a little more to your liking, Thomas. Stick out tongue

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 4:04 PM

Thomas Black:

Bob,

you're one of the few people I know who take backups seriously.  Congratulations or commiserations on that depending on your take.

I agree with you on the importance of multiple backups Thomas. I firmly believe that one can't have too many. I learned the hard way about twenty years ago when I lost one extremely valuable file for my wife's home business and didn't have a backup. (She still reminds me of that on occasion Wink) As far as I can recall it is also the only file I ever lost that I was not able to recover from a backup.

Just out of curiosity, what cloud backup service do you use. I use Crashplan. For $12.00 a month I have unlimited space available for an unlimited number of computers. It also handles the backups between my computers. It all happens behind the scenes and I see no noticable impact on performance. There are, of course many good cloud services out there but this is the one that seemed to have the most flexibility. Definitely a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Blessings,

Bob

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:38 PM

Thomas Black:

Bob,

I am wanting to take backups more seriously because I've had a couple of failures and was only able to recover to a certain point sometimes several weeks prior to when the crash took place, or one time I had to shell out big bucks to have a forensic data recovery shop recover most of the data from my very seriously crashed hard disk through a painstaking process.

Bob Schlessman:
I use Crashplan. For $12.00 a month I have unlimited space available for an unlimited number of computers. It also handles the backups between my computers.

How come you're paying $12/mo for it? They advertise the highest level plan as $6/mo for unlimited space for up to 10 computers.

Is anyone concerned about backup services that don't ever delete files that you seriously want to eradicate every trace of permanently? Is there a way to force it to wipe a backup file from its records?

Also I'm still kind of nervous about using cloud services for backup. I know the redundancy means I'd have access to it at home too, on an external drive, in case my Internet connection was down when I wanted to restore from the backup. But what if I have stuff that I'm so wary about having out there on some company's server -- my financial information, etc.? Is there a way to control the granularity of backups so that very private files get backed up only to my local external hard disk (and trusted family network) and other ones get backed up to the cloud?

Another concern: I'm currently using Windows' built-in backup facility and it's not working for me because it stores multiple backup points and has eventually filled up my entire external hard disk with all this redundancy. How does one manage the space taken up by backups?

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 6:21 PM

My perspective is a bit different. I don't trust backups that are not off-site (not in my house) and preferably not on the same earth-quake fault line or tsunami coast, Anything short of that is for my psychological not real safety.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:45 PM

Rosie Perera:

Bob Schlessman:
I use Crashplan. For $12.00 a month I have unlimited space available for an unlimited number of computers. It also handles the backups between my computers.

How come you're paying $12/mo for it? They advertise the highest level plan as $6/mo for unlimited space for up to 10 computers.

Rosie,

It's $6.00 per month if you pay for 4 years up front. It is pro-rated depending on how far in advance you pay. After you click on the "Buy Now" link they give you the complete price breakdown. I use the month to month plan because it fits my budget the best - thus $12.00 per month. Still a very low cost insurance policy.

Rosie Perera:
Is there a way to control the granularity of backups so that very private files get backed up only to my local external hard disk (and trusted family network) and other ones get backed up to the cloud?

With Crashplan you can easily create backup sets and control what files go where. It gives you full control over it.  I have certain files that i only back up internally and not to the cloud.

Rosie Perera:

Another concern: I'm currently using Windows' built-in backup facility and it's not working for me because it stores multiple backup points and has eventually filled up my entire external hard disk with all this redundancy. How does one manage the space taken up by backups?

Crashplan allows you to set how often deleted files are removed. You can also tell it how long to keep backups.

It is a very customizable backup service/program. It also sends me weekly reports on what has been backed up and when. If a computer is not backed up (for example it has been turned off for several days) Crashplan will send you an email warning you. I switched to it when I realized the WIndows 7 backup feature was inadequate for my purposes. They have an excellent forum to help newcomers as well. There is a version that is free to use if you don't backup to the cloud. Give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Blessings,

Bob

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:54 PM

Bob Schlessman:

Why not use Carbonite ?  -- it's only $59/yr and you can get it for less if you mention Rush (and a 15 day free trial).   That's less than $5 / mo.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 10:56 PM

Thanks Bob, that's all very helpful info.

Bob Schlessman:

Rosie Perera:
Is there a way to control the granularity of backups so that very private files get backed up only to my local external hard disk (and trusted family network) and other ones get backed up to the cloud?

With Crashplan you can easily create backup sets and control what files go where. It gives you full control over it.  I have certain files that i only back up internally and not to the cloud.

Will try it out when I have some time. One other little question, not that this would be a deal-breaker if it's otherwise really good: Does the backup set creation tool let you specify files with wildcards (e.g., all my *.doc files in such-and-such a folder, plus everything in all subfolders of some-other folder, including any new subfolders I might create there in the future), or do I have to keep adding new folders and files to it when I create ones that I now want to add to my backup set?

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 1:41 AM

CrashPlan is awesome. The best features (IMO) are:

• You can specify multiple backup locations (e.g. local, network drive and cloud).
  • You can do continuous backup (as soon as a file is written and released by another app it will get backed up).
  • And - and this is the killer feature - you can backup to a friends computer if they're running CrashPlan. That gives you really cheap offsite storage.
Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 2:00 AM

Mark Barnes:
you can backup to a friends computer if they're running CrashPlan. That gives you really cheap offsite storage.

And what friend of mine is going to happen to have a spare 300 GB on their computer? And how reliable is a friend's computer as offsite storage? Vulnerable to crashes of its own, software issues, etc. It had better be an extremely tech savvy friend who is going to keep their machine in good working order and have a couple of external hard drives connected to it and functioning with 95% uptime.

Actually I probably do have one or two friends (who run their own email servers) who might be able to provide that service for me, but they're not necessarily people I'd trust with backing up my sensitive financial data, so I'd still opt to do that only on a local external hard drive. Seems like it could end up being a lot of work to pick and choose what gets backed up where and keep those backup sets up-to-date.

Still, I'm quite intrigued by all your strong recommendations of CrashPlan, and am going to download the free version and give it a whirl when I get some time.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 2:06 AM

Bob Schlessman:
it stores multiple backup points and has eventually filled up my entire external hard disk with all this redundancy

It's worth mentioning that Crash only stores the changed part of files, which is awesome when you want to backup multiple versions of the same file.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 4:26 AM

Bob Schlessman:
Just out of curiosity, what cloud backup service do you use.
You're gonna spit out your coffee.... I use a combination of dropbox and Live Mesh.    However, I'm sold on SOS backup after doing all my own digging around.  Just need to write the check so to speak.

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 4:31 AM

Rosie Perera:
Is anyone concerned about backup services that don't ever delete files that you seriously want to eradicate every trace of permanently? Is there a way to force it to wipe a backup file from its records?
 I believe SOSonlinebackup has a way of permanently deleting files you no longer want.
Rosie Perera:
 Get another software solution.  Windows backup is bare nuggets as far as I'm concerned.  At least it's a backup solution though!    I'm currently using the one built into my Antivirus package (Kaspersky) but it has a similar shortcoming so I'm on the hunt again.

Check the Wiki

Page 5 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS