The Working Desktop

Page 6 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 6:25 AM

Seriously, CrashPlan is terrific as a free solution, too. http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/compare.html

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 7:58 AM

Carbonite!  Set it and forget it.

Plus, backups to two network drives at work.

Plus, an external drive at home (though currently offline).

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 8:52 AM

But that

Steve Johnson:

Carbonite!  Set it and forget it. Plus, backups to two network drives at work. Plus, an external drive at home (though currently offline).

But that requires three backups because Carbonite won't backup locally will it? Crashplan could do all that (cloud, local and network) all from the one application. And, unlike Carbonite, Crashplan will backup any file, not just the ones it chooses.

A google search for Carbonite crashplan makes interesting reading!

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:05 AM

Mark Barnes:
Crashplan will backup any file, not just the ones it chooses.

I don't use any backup program (yes, I know, some day I'll probably wish I had), but from the ads I've heard I think you can choose what to back up with Carbonite and I haven't heard of any inability to back up any particular flavor of file.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:44 AM

George Somsel:
I don't use any backup program (yes, I know, some day I'll probably wish I had), but from the ads I've heard I think you can choose what to back up with Carbonite and I haven't heard of any inability to back up any particular flavor of file.

Carbonite ignores certain filetypes by default (e.g. videos), and you have to explicitly include them - one file at at time - if you want them backed up. You can't back up system files, even if you want to: http://www.carbonite.co.uk/help-me-decide/carbonite-backup/backup-files

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 10:37 AM

Mark Barnes:
Carbonite ignores certain filetypes by default (e.g. videos), and you have to explicitly include them - one file at at time - if you want them backed up. You can't back up system files, even if you want to: http://www.carbonite.co.uk/help-me-decide/carbonite-backup/backup-files

Who would want to back up system files anyway?  They need to be installed with the program, n'est-ce que pas? (When I was at Claremont Henri Cazelles was a visiting lecturer who had a habit of inserting this quite regularly into his conversation.  It became a bit irritating, but he was a prince of a guy).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 1:50 PM

George Somsel:
Who would want to back up system files anyway? 

I want to be allowed to make that choice for myself.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 5:08 PM

Opinions on Genie Timeline?

I am trying it, but it runs at every boot up for several minutes (in the background but grinding the disk). It seems to do a good job backing up, but this constant running slows everythign else down, like Logos.

Does CrashPlan do that?

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2011 5:39 PM

Bill Cook:

Opinions on Genie Timeline?

I've used the Genie backup programs "on and off" for several years. I'm still using ver. 7 on one or two computers. I quit paying for the upgrades because the reply to almost every tech. issue was, "It's addressed in the latest upgrade."

Sorry I can't speak to the latest version.

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:36 AM

Bill Cook:
Does CrashPlan do that?

No. CrashPlan uses a lot of memory (200-300Mb), which might slow you computer down a bit if you only have 2Gb RAM or less, but hardly uses any CPU and never thrashes the disk. You have throttles where you can limit the percentage of CPU it can use either when you're at your computer and when you're not.

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 4:06 AM

Mark Barnes:

Seriously, CrashPlan is terrific as a free solution, too. http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/compare.html

I second that endorsement. The free version does everything the paid version will do except back up to the Crashplan servers.

Blessings,

Bob

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 4:12 AM

Rosie Perera:
Will try it out when I have some time. One other little question, not that this would be a deal-breaker if it's otherwise really good: Does the backup set creation tool let you specify files with wildcards (e.g., all my *.doc files in such-and-such a folder, plus everything in all subfolders of some-other folder, including any new subfolders I might create there in the future), or do I have to keep adding new folders and files to it when I create ones that I now want to add to my backup set?

Sorry for the belated response. I have been in Joplin, MO for the last five days and haven't had time to check the forums. You may have already tried Crashplan by now.

I haven't tried using wild cards Rosie. But it will automatically include subfolders. And if you add a file to an included folder it will include that file in the next backup. You also have control over how long Crashplan will keep backup sets.

Blessings

Bob

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 4:23 AM

George Somsel:

Bob Schlessman:
I use Crashplan. For $12.00 a month I have unlimited space available for an unlimited number of computers. It also handles the backups between my computers.

Why not use Carbonite ?  -- it's only $59/yr and you can get it for less if you mention Rush (and a 15 day free trial).   That's less than $5 / mo.

Sorry for the belated response. I have been in Joplin, MO for the last five days and haven't had time to check the forums.

I looked at Carbonite when I was searching for a backup solution. But there were some things I didn't like about it although it escapes me now as to what they were. To get all of the features I now have for $144 a year I would have had to get the business plan with Carbonite which runs $229.

I usually try to compare apples and apples when making a software choice.

Blessings,

Bob

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 6:38 PM

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2011 7:50 PM

George Somsel:
Why not use Carbonite ?  -- it's only $59/yr and you can get it for less if you mention Rush (and a 15 day free trial).   That's less than $5 / mo

I forgot to mention the biggest reason. Carbonite is $59.00 a year per computer. Crashplan is $144.00 per year for as many computers as i want to back up. In my case that is five computers.

Blessings,

Bob

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 6:15 AM

Ryan:

I like the minimalist workstation! You're SURE you didn't tidy things up, Ryan?  Wink

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 7:23 AM

I must admit I cleaned some of the dust off. I took one picture and surprised myself, a swipe and a picture later resulted in what is seen.

The bottom portion of the desk stays pretty clean, even the server book I have on the desk bugs me. The second shelf usually accumulates things. :(

Posts 85
Anthony Keating | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 12:43 PM

Dear Paul,

Could you please let me know how you extend your desktop to 4 screens!

Thanks

Pastor Tony Keating

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2011 1:12 PM

Thomas Black:
Neat freaks need not apply - I don't think I can handle that kind of reinforcement.  Wink

Drat, then I'm out. Two things I can't stand: A small desk, and a cluttered desk. One thing I love about Logos is it helps me avoid having books and papers stacked around. I distract too easily and things piled all around harm my focus. I also like room to spread out, even if it's just my arms around the keyboard, so a big desk is almost a must.

So if I took a pic of where I am now at the church office you'd see a large, wooden desk with an iMac in the middle and a wireless keyboard and mouse in front of it, easy to stow away when not in use. The iMac itself is also easy to slide out of the way onto a nice, empty table next to the desk. Mess, stay away!

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:20 AM

I too have noticed that many Logos users are using two or monitors. I think I would like to try that option. How do you set one up with multiple monitors and another one posted that they thought that the "alt tab" was sufficient. Could you explain what the "alt tab" function will enable the user to do.

Thanks in advance

Page 6 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS