FFOZ publications

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 23 2011 7:04 PM

Hi Logos and Logos Users

I have been impressed by the thoroughness and accessibility of the teaching material produced by First Fruits of Zion (www.ffoz.org).

A lot of their material would be even more useful if Logos' search engine was unleashed on it.

If you've used FFOZ's material such as Torah Club or any other FFOZ book, before, or you're interested gaining a better understanding of the Hebraic matrix in which the Scriptures were written then register your support for their material to join the community pricing program or prepub program by responding positively to this thread.

Cheers

Tony

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:00 PM

I think you would need to enlist Boaz Michael's approval more than Logos's. Logos, being a business, is going to be amenable to selling just about any Bible-related published material out there (with a few exceptions, I'm sure). FFOZ, however, will first have to be made aware of Logos and what they have to offer. I am on their email list and get the weekly tohraah portion, but I am not totally on-board with all of their perspectives. Nevertheless, my complete approval is not necessary. If FFOZ concludes that Logos makes sense for them, then I would expect the rest to fall into place. I perceive the ball as being in their court.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2011 4:26 AM

David Paul:
I perceive the ball as being in their court.
 Yes and no.  :-)

Logos keeps track of these kinds of suggestions (I also encourage you tony to email your request and a link to this thread to suggest@logos.com).

When they get requests like this, Logos will endeavor to approach the publisher when they are able.  Then the Ball is in the publishers court.  

However, it wouldn't hurt to write a similar letter to the publisher.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:13 AM

David Paul:

but I am not totally on-board with all of their perspectives.

One of the good things about Torah Club was that it encourages reading widely, openly discussing and debating the potential meanings of scriptural passages; which are all great skills for all Christians to have and nurture.  It encourages identifying a diversity of perspectives and then provides skills for students to begin methodically assessing the merits of each point of view.  Often this results in the student disagreeing with FFOZ's views and I see that as a good thing.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:15 AM

Thomas Black:

However, it wouldn't hurt to write a similar letter to the publisher.

Yes, I have written to FFOZ as well.  Thx for supplying the suggestions email address for Logos.  I didn't know about that.  Must send in my submission asap.

Posts 2283
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 7:51 PM

One resource of note is that they are coming out with a translation of Delitzsch's Gospels from Hebrew.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 11:13 PM

I started receiving Torah Club material two weeks ago. It would be great of it was available in Logos. I will also email FFOZ  about Logos.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 11:30 PM

Yeah, our home bible study has done all five volumes.  Now we're studying Galatians before moving onto Romans.  Its all certainly changed us.  We are such careful readers now.  If you're interested in this kind of thing, reading Brown's Jewish Objections to Jesus, Stern's Jewish NT Commentary, and JPS commentaries on the Pentateuch and Haftarah's are all available on Logos and very good too. 

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 11:49 PM

Tony Kan:
our home bible study has done all five volumes.

From the samples, if these were not so pricey I would be interested in these.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 12:23 AM

@ M J Smith:  Quite right, they are pricey.  I suppose for them, it comes down to weighing off the huge amount of research and reading that went into preparing them against the price and volume they think they can get.  If they published it on Logos I'm sure there will be many more sales which might help get the price down.

We certainly haven't regretted making the investment.  After carrying out the study, we have certainly come out the other end, so much the richer for it.  One of the great things about discovering the Hebraic Roots movement has been its effect on my views on discussion and debate. 

I grew up in a church that discouraged questioning anything and everything, bible study leaders considered it divisive.  Yet the Jews can point to a clear scriptural basis for discussion and debate.  Since we have created an environment in our home bible study where such discussion can happen in a constructive and safe way, the quality of our bible studies has risen considerably.

We did the study with all the participants having had the Torah Club commentary and questions weeks in advance.  Then everybody brought their answers fully prepared and the discussion started from there.  Pretty soon we all realised how wonderful it was to immerse oneself in the scriptures, considering various theological and ethical issues and taking these problems to the Lord in our individual and collective prayer times. 

After Torah Club I can see how the Bible can contain a lifetime of study.

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 26 2011 1:04 AM

Tony Kan:
I grew up in a church that discouraged questioning anything and everything, bible study leaders considered it divisive.  Yet the Jews can point to a clear scriptural basis for discussion and debate. 

I come from a tradition that is much closer to the Jewish methods of study than to some contemporary Western methods. I've been including segments of Jewish interpretation in my Bible study materials for 15-20 years. Perhaps when I successfully get all the kids out of the house again, I'll reconsider the expense.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:43 PM

MJ. Smith:

Tony Kan:
I grew up in a church that discouraged questioning anything and everything, bible study leaders considered it divisive.  Yet the Jews can point to a clear scriptural basis for discussion and debate. 

I come from a tradition that is much closer to the Jewish methods of study than to some contemporary Western methods. I've been including segments of Jewish interpretation in my Bible study materials for 15-20 years. Perhaps when I successfully get all the kids out of the house again, I'll reconsider the expense.

Good on you.  I'm sure your bible study would have so much the richer for it.  Baruch atah

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 3:50 AM

I would like to add my support for FFOZ material making its way to Logos.

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 9:29 AM

Can't have too many bad theologies in digital format! Yes

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 12:17 PM

David Paul:
Can't have too many bad theologies

The wise can learn from everyone; the fool hears only themself in everyone.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 2:29 PM

Well said.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 3:57 PM

David Paul:

You mean such as the gospel in the stars?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2013 12:42 PM

George Somsel:

David Paul:

You mean such as the gospel in the stars?

You make me laugh, George. The chances of all the "just coincidences" that line up between the constellations and the Biblical story are so overwhelming that they are literally astronomical...far more certain than the chance you will draw your next breath. That's just how prophecy is.

But you don't want to believe it...so you won't. It doesn't matter how many overlaps and direct correleations I showed you...you would deny it still, not at all unlike the denial of God or creation or prophecy. Two witnesses condemn a murderer to death--yet two hundred (or more) witnesses from the heavens wouldn't get you to budge from where you are in your current opinion. That fact ought to scare you...but it won't.

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2013 1:28 PM

David Paul:
But you don't want to believe it...so you won't. It doesn't matter how many overlaps and direct correleations I showed you...you would deny it still, not at all unlike the denial of God or creation or prophecy. Two witnesses condemn a murderer to death--yet two hundred (or more) witnesses from the heavens wouldn't get you to budge from where you are in your current opinion. That fact ought to scare you...but it won't.

David

I'd like to think that theological discussions would observe some conventions here on this forum.  One of them should be the freedom to voice one's views on a subject and the other is to leave it to others to consider it at their leisure. 

Whether the other side agrees or not is up to them.  Becoming frustrated that one's argument has failed to persuade and then haranguing the other person has the effect of discrediting one's own position.

I hope this helps

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 14 2013 4:09 PM

No frustration here. It doesn't matter to me if anyone either does or doesn't choose to see things as I do. That said, I'm not sure how up to speed you are on George's fascination with "disagreeing" with me at nearly every opportunity...though "jab" is probably a more accurate verb. If he were calling me "ugly", "fat", or "stupid", I would likely just ignore him...turn the other cheek and all that. But I don't consider myself to have that luxury where truth-related issues are concerned. Giving no response is akin to giving the impression that one has no response...and that isn't only not true, it is a false impression.

I wonder, would you also accuse Yeishuu`a of haranguing the Pharisees? He lit into them plenty, you know, after they questioned the validity of something He said or did...and his arguments failed to persuade the vast majority of those who heard Him. Was that His fault?

Btw, my initial comment had nothing to do with Biblical astronomy (as should be obvious). I was making reference to FFOZ's broad undercurrent (and occasionally openly expressed perspective) that Yeishuu`a was a Pharisee, and that he had no real disagreement with the Pharisees on any topic of significance.

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS