Decrease your bid

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:08 AM

That's right, I'm encouraging a number of people to decrease the amount of their bid in Community Pricing.  Normally, I bid a little low if I think something is going to be a hot item figuring that the prevailing bid will decrease to meet mine.  I have been known, however, on occasion to place a really outrageously high bid if I really want something.  I think this is what has happened with the Classic Commentaries and Studies on Revelation (http://www.logos.com/product/8522/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-revelation).  The problem with doing this is that it deters others from bidding on it since they don't want to pay nearly that much and simply don't bother (wouldn't we all like to get it free if we could?).  So, if you are one of those who bid $160 for the collection, I suggest you lower your bid to $50 so that the leading price won't discourage others.  Let's get this moving -- at the moment it's flat-lined.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:10 AM

I've been in at $60 for a while.  I would love to see this one move up!

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:34 AM

George Somsel:

That's right, I'm encouraging a number of people to decrease the amount of their bid in Community Pricing.  Normally, I bid a little low if I think something is going to be a hot item figuring that the prevailing bid to decrease to meet mine.  I have been known, however, on occasion to place a really outrageously high bid if I really want something.  I think this is what has happened with the Classic Commentaries and Studies on Revelation (http://www.logos.com/product/8522/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-revelation).  The problem with doing this is that it deters others from bidding on it since they don't want to pay nearly that much and simply don't bother (wouldn't we all like to get it free if we could?).  So, if you are one of those who bid $160 for the collection, I suggest you lower your bid to $50 so that the leading price won't discourage others.  Let's get this moving -- at the moment it's flat-lined.

I was thinking about this series.  Because I am not going to pay $160 for this series,  I am one of the individuals who has not bid on this series.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:39 AM

tom collinge:

George Somsel:

That's right, I'm encouraging a number of people to decrease the amount of their bid in Community Pricing.  Normally, I bid a little low if I think something is going to be a hot item figuring that the prevailing bid to decrease to meet mine.  I have been known, however, on occasion to place a really outrageously high bid if I really want something.  I think this is what has happened with the Classic Commentaries and Studies on Revelation (http://www.logos.com/product/8522/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-revelation).  The problem with doing this is that it deters others from bidding on it since they don't want to pay nearly that much and simply don't bother (wouldn't we all like to get it free if we could?).  So, if you are one of those who bid $160 for the collection, I suggest you lower your bid to $50 so that the leading price won't discourage others.  Let's get this moving -- at the moment it's flat-lined.

I was thinking about this series.  Because I am not going to pay $160 for this series,  I am one of the individuals who has not bid on this series.

I suggest that you bid $50 (or whatever suits you).  If you are indeed interested, there is only one way to get it -- bid.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:59 AM

I agree with you George, there are a lot of people that do not understand how the system works and seeing such a high bid will stop many from bidding a reasonable bid of 50-60 dollars.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 8:16 AM

I had done this before and several others did, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I got discouraged. I also wanted to stop paying attention to that page, so I raised my bid back up again so as not to miss it in a fit of total distraction. I just lowered it back again to $100 -- there looked to be another peak forming there. I think we're going to need to get a bunch more people bidding on this, not just existing users dropping their bids, to make a significant enough difference in those lower peaks to get some momentum going...

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 9:30 AM

I doubt these works on Revelation will ever come out of Community Pricing unless the bids come down a great deal. I raised my bid from $41 to $50. Big Smile

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 9:37 AM

Rosie Perera:

I had done this before and several others did, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I got discouraged. I also wanted to stop paying attention to that page, so I raised my bid back up again so as not to miss it in a fit of total distraction. I just lowered it back again to $100 -- there looked to be another peak forming there. I think we're going to need to get a bunch more people bidding on this, not just existing users dropping their bids, to make a significant enough difference in those lower peaks to get some momentum going...

$100 is still too much.  No one who doesn't have a large stash of money is going to pay $100 on CP for a collection of outdated works.  Bousset is still cited, as is Moses Stuart.  Hengstenberg is favored in some circles, but not regarding the Apocalypse.  Ewald is an important figure in OT studies, but not regarding the Apocalypse.  I don't know what possesses Logos to make their scales for bidding in CP, but $160 for a set of outdated resources is totally out of line.  You can bid as high as you like, but unless you bid enough to fund the project all by yourself, it will never get published.  I would like to have this collection, but its value is mostly for historical purposes.  I will not pay $160 or even $100 on CP, prepub or even retail for this set.

EDIT:  I might add that some of those on the list wouldn't be given the time of day in Revelation studies.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 10:22 AM

I agree with George on this one for the reasons he listed. $50 is as high as I'll go, and I'll think twice about that when all is said and done.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 10:49 AM

Bill Moore:
I agree with George on this one for the reasons he listed. $50 is as high as I'll go, and I'll think twice about that when all is said and done.

I went ahead and jumped in at $50 too. My reasons of not bidding before was the price. $160 is a bit high for a resource that I am not sure about what it will deliver.

Does this commentary attempt to cover all of the views of interpretation or mainly one? To be quite honest, I don't prescribe to the ways of thinking such as the "Left Behind" series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins and would rather not invest in a commentary that just discusses one possible interpretation.

Please Note: I am not saying that anyone who takes the Futurist approach is wrong, I am just saying that I am not convinced of either of the views! I don't want to start a discussion about it but just wanted to clarify why I am not bidding very high and hopefully have my question about whether or not it covers most views or not. I am looking for a resource to compare the different views and the best that I have found so far is a book by Steve Gregg: http://www.logos.com/product/2271/revelation-four-views If this commentary is basically like this book, I'll definitely consider going higher.

Thanks,

Rick

Posts 1506
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 11:38 AM

Placed $50. I would never pay a higher price of 19th century Revelation commentaries. It is already far outdated

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 11:45 AM

Rick Hypes:
Please Note: I am not saying that anyone who takes the Futurist approach is wrong, I am just saying that I am not convinced of either of the views! I don't want to start a discussion about it but just wanted to clarify why I am not bidding very high and hopefully have my question about whether or not it covers most views or not. I am looking for a resource to compare the different views and the best that I have found so far is a book by Steve Gregg: http://www.logos.com/product/2271/revelation-four-views If this commentary is basically like this book, I'll definitely consider going higher.

This isn't ONE commentary.  I don't know the views of each author, but I would assume that they aren't all the same.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 11:59 AM

OK, after a couple more people jumped in, I've lowered my bid back to $50. Let's see if we can get the bulge at $50 to be as high as the one at $160.

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 1:55 PM

George Somsel:
This isn't ONE commentary.  I don't know the views of each author, but I would assume that they aren't all the same.

Thank you George, that is what I was hoping for.

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 2:22 PM

OK, I've lowered mine to $50 from $60...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 3:14 PM

I see a very small peak at $50 starting to form.  I was at $30, but decided to raise mine to $50.  I agree with others that if some or most of the resources are "outdated" and / or less highly regarded than the works of other authors, then a high price is not warranted, as the main value of this collection might be more for historical purposes rather than for current thinking and understanding of the book of Revelation.

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 4:36 PM

I was discouraged to bid at the ~$100 price listed for 19th Century commentaries.  It definitively has to go lower (even lower than $50) for me to get excited about this collection.

Blessings, Fernando

Posts 439
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:00 PM

Great idea George, I have been at $50.00 for sometime now.  But lets not forget about http://www.logos.com/product/8531/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-genesis it is going for $40.00 now and at 60%.  And http://www.logos.com/product/8518/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-romans is at $40.00 and http://www.logos.com/product/8526/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-job is peaking at $25.00.

Posts 388
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:48 PM

I just lowered my bid from $160 down to $50

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:57 PM

well, I was in at $20, but I just increased it to $50 in hopes a small peak might form there and more people will jump in.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS