Forum Guidelines: No Theology Debates

Page 14 of 19 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »
This post has 366 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:56 PM

Coffee

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 9:27 PM

Enough already.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 9:55 PM

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 10:24 PM

David Paul:

Enough already.

Enough what?

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 10:42 PM

This thread has been beaten into submission...it is time for it to expire. Long past time for it to expire. If it is on life support, the plug should be pulled. Finito.

Btw...I'm not on anyone's side here. I'm just tired of seeing so many folks post to this thread...like they feel they get brownie points for posting to Bob's thread or something. Not just the criticisms of Bob's "handling" of the "situation", but the unnecessary Yes every time he says 'Boo"...especially on this post. It's like the kid in a group who says "That's right" when the adult is giving them all a dressing down. Irritating. Bob wouldn't shut off comments to this thread...he's established that's not his way. But the OP should have been followed with a quiet hush. I'm anything but a Logos groupie. But this country has gotten drunk on its ability to SPOUT OFF on just whatever happens to pass through their minds and fingertips. Whatever happened to taking a good tongue-lashing and holding one's peace? Just put a cork in it already. Enough.

Go post about something else.Idea

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 10:59 PM

David Paul:
But this country has gotten drunk on its ability to SPOUT OFF on just whatever happens to pass through their minds and fingertips. Whatever happened to taking a good tongue-lashing and holding one's peace? Just put a cork in it already. Enough.

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 11:05 PM

I can see it now...the Day of YHWH is going to begin...and people are going to be saying, "...but, but...where's the REPLY button!!!"

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 4:24 AM

David Paul:

I can see it now...the Day of YHWH is going to begin...and people are going to be saying, "...but, but...where's the REPLY button!!!"

Coffee now spewed on keyboard!....thanks for the chuckle.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 5:03 AM

Mark W. Gaither:
Bob's post was pugnacious and offensive to the majority of Protestant Logos users.

EDIT: Comments deleted because of Mark's following posts.

I agree with David Paul. It is time to (paraphrasing Paul) "overlook those things which are behind and press toward the goal of our upward calling of God in Christ Jesus" (paraphrase of Philippians 3:13–14).

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 5:08 AM

Mark W. Gaither:
I'm proud of the book and I think it's a much needed approach to a prickly problem in the church, but it's not likely to be a big financial success. (Not, of course, my intention for writing it.)

I would purchase it. Yes

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 5:33 AM

I can tell you one thing that rankles me....it's the sloppy characterization on internet forums that if someone is positive about an issue, or a person's comments, or even positive about a product...then they are a "kiss up" or "fan boy" or mindless sheeple...(choose your term).

Just because I'm not shy about agreeing with something Bob P has said and I don't take offense every time he posts doesn't make me his fan boy.

That's an inaccurate generalization and sloppy thinking.

Robert Pavich

Posts 26278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 1:09 PM

Robert Pavich:

I get annoyed at that as well. I am also puzzled and sometimes annoyed at those who think they should tell Logos how to run its business. We aren't shareholders or employees. It makes sense for us to complain about product quality/request new features/request new resources but beyond that? It's not my business.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 321
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 1:21 PM

MJ. Smith:

Robert Pavich:

I get annoyed at that as well. I am also puzzled and sometimes annoyed at those who think they should tell Logos how to run its business. We aren't shareholders or employees. It makes sense for us to complain about product quality/request new features/request new resources but beyond that? It's not my business.

Well certainly it is a business and most of us, I assume, have much more important things on our lives then becoming over anxious about how someone runs a "christian" e-book reader company.  Yet somehow there appears to be deeply held feelings and beliefs about a product line that so many have spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, on that when opposition to one or another aspect of the brand is mentioned then supermen do (in fact) defend the company.  I suppose we could just all hold hands and sing camp fire songs as we hug trees and chomp on our granola...but I suspect that won't help the company in the long run either.  Maybe its good business practice to hear the complainers, or whiners if you will, so that there isn't an echo chamber at Logos when the next major program release is done...perhaps less visionary cutting edge next generation bells and whistles might help. 

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 1:44 PM

Rene Atchley:
then supermen do (in fact) defend the company. 

Not to be rude but this is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Supermen?

I'm no different than anyone else and If I hold an opposite opinion about a given defect in L4 software why should I be labeled a "Superman"

I happen to not let some things bother me that others might complain about.

End of story.

Robert Pavich

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 2:08 PM

MJ. Smith:

Robert Pavich:

Exactly Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 917
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 3:10 PM

Well if Bob had just made his post and then "locked" it, none of this debate would have happened.

Not that I'm trying to tell Logos how to run a forum (or its business) Smile

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 3:51 PM

Rene Atchley:

MJ. Smith:

Robert Pavich:

Well certainly it is a business and most of us, I assume, have much more important things on our lives then becoming over anxious about how someone runs a "christian" e-book reader company.  Yet somehow there appears to be deeply held feelings and beliefs about a product line that so many have spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, on that when opposition to one or another aspect of the brand is mentioned then supermen do (in fact) defend the company.  I suppose we could just all hold hands and sing camp fire songs as we hug trees and chomp on our granola...but I suspect that won't help the company in the long run either.  Maybe its good business practice to hear the complainers, or whiners if you will, so that there isn't an echo chamber at Logos when the next major program release is done...perhaps less visionary cutting edge next generation bells and whistles might help. 

Rene don't you just chuckle when all of these "kiss ups" chime in...

For crying out loudCrying, I hope these people will quit jumping in to only state the obvious!

Just because people have opposition, doesn't mean they are not a friend of the Logos Staff or Product. 

I am a BIG FAN of Logos, as I stated earlier, I could have bought a brand new car with the money I have invested into Logos.

Posts 26278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 5:14 PM

Okay everyone. It's story time. Remember that Logos is a company in the Pacific Northwest (USA). Remember that is also my home.

When my brother was Provost of a local university, he was interviewing a potential professor that would be a real "feather in the cap" if they could hire him. Said professor was from Boston and looking at moving here because of his wife's employment. After interviews, business lunches etc. my brother and his wife went out to dinner with the Boston couple. The Boston professor had only one question - he couldn't figure out how anyone got anything done here. We were all so polite. Big Smile

I, for one, keep forgetting that the forum is not culturally a Pacific Northwest entity despite being sponsored from here.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 6:56 PM

MJ. Smith:
the forum is not culturally a Pacific Northwest entity
Good point. I'm sure that a large percentage of the Northwest women of the time were screened for the role of Mary Poppins. Big Smile Conversely there are folks outside that bubble who react differently. ... They think outside that particular box. Many of the  "politely correct" may consider them  Uncultured Infidels. The Cultured Elite attempts to refrain form commenting on the out of control threads, but like it or not, there is a drop of Uncultured Infidel Blood pulsing in their veins. When they can't tolerate the Infidel's babbling any longer, They feel it necessary to set things straight. They set off on a long rant or a bedtime story.... Instructing the Infidels about what they should or should not say on the forums. 

This thread would have died of loneliness long ago, If not for the Cultured Elite trying to kill it. .....God Bless.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 6:57 PM

MJ. Smith:

Okay everyone. It's story time. Remember that Logos is a company in the Pacific Northwest (USA). Remember that is also my home.

When my brother was Provost of a local university, he was interviewing a potential professor that would be a real "feather in the cap" if they could hire him. Said professor was from Boston and looking at moving here because of his wife's employment. After interviews, business lunches etc. my brother and his wife went out to dinner with the Boston couple. The Boston professor had only one question - he couldn't figure out how anyone got anything done here. We were all so polite. Big Smile

I, for one, keep forgetting that the forum is not culturally a Pacific Northwest entity despite being sponsored from here.

Am smiling, M.J. as I head for my cookies and warm milk on a Saturday evening .....        *smile*       Divine Service in a few hours!  The Word is going to be proclaimed and the Holy Eucharist is going to be celebrated!!!

Well spoken, indeed!                   The Pacific Northwest sounds like a nice place to live also!               I commend you good folks!

Whether it's true or not, we Canadians also have been accused many times of being overly polite.  I guess that is changing as the world turns; but, very frankly, my dear ..........           I don't appreciate rude and impolite postings   ...........    It's just unacceptable.

The following is          ...................... Not Scriptural ...           Not Canadian .......... 

but written by someone from Indiana .........    (hope you enjoy!)           *smile*             

Peace!

-- written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 14 of 19 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS