Forum Guidelines: No Theology Debates

Page 15 of 19 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last »
This post has 366 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 7:20 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
frankly, my dear
Priceless ! Smile

Posts 77
Paul Oertly | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:58 AM

Yes

Posts 3173
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 10 2011 2:50 PM

This is a perfect world- no one is wrong everyone is right- though we read the same words and come to different understanding we just smile and say your right too, wow isn't truth wonderful it means everything to everyone and makes no distinction its great being our own god.

Remember this is Logos- no freedom of expression, its their company, their product, their website, their rules, ....... but be very careful its my money, and I decide who gets it.

Posts 77
Paul Oertly | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 10 2011 7:36 PM

Forum Guideline # 1: No Whyning

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 10 2011 9:43 PM

Paul Oertly:

Whyndell Grizzard:
 its my money, and I decide who gets it.

Forum Guideline # 1:   No Whyning.

Forum Guideline #2 :  No "kiss ups"  Yes

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 10 2011 11:39 PM

MJD:

Forum Guideline #2 :  No "kiss ups"  Yes

MJD, I have an observation and question.

The observation.

In my region, the UK, the phrase 'kiss up' is considered rude. To give you some context, our church serves one of the toughest and socially deprived estates in Britain. If I were to call one of the neighbours a 'kiss up', I would expect to wake up with a crowd around me.

However, I understand that this term might have a different weight in different cultures.

I have quickly reviewed M.J. and Robert's posts (who, I understand from the previous exchanges, are exemplars of the 'kiss-up' attitude you so decry) in order to try understand what you might intend in applying this term. As I have reviewed their posts, I find that they have offered assistance with kindness, humility, generosity and patience on literally thousands of occasions to possibly hundreds of Logos users.

I then took time to review your 91 posts and discovered somewhat different characteristics.

Which leads me to the question.

How does your activity on this thread (and specifically describing fellow users as 'kiss ups') correlate to your contribution here?

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt (which is why I have bothered posting) and believe that your seemingly rude contributions here and elsewhere are examples of brilliantly ironic performance art.

In the meantime, however, lacking the necessary knowledge, kindness, humility, generosity, etc. to be a true 'kiss up', I will settle for being a 'kiss up' to the 'kiss ups'.

Posts 321
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 6:19 AM

As a general rule in cyberspace theological discussions the Alan Alda Sensitivity Rule is in effect...

Rule: Everyone is offended at all time for everything for every reason possible...and some reasons that are not possible.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 6:37 AM

Andy Evans:
In the meantime, however, lacking the necessary knowledge, kindness, humility, generosity, etc. to be a true 'kiss up', I will settle for being a 'kiss up' to the 'kiss ups'.

Peace!  and Always Joy, Andy!                              *smile*

This Canadian thanks you very much for you insights!                               Am Grateful!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 6:55 AM

Putting down my popcorn and entering into the fray...

MJ. Smith:

... I am also puzzled and sometimes annoyed at those who think they should tell Logos how to run its business. We aren't shareholders or employees. It makes sense for us to complain about product quality/request new features/request new resources but beyond that? It's not my business.

I am puzzled that you are puzzled M.J.. Big Smile IMHO people do this because Bob has invited them/us to do this. Every time time Bob responds to the criticisms, every time he addresses issues on this forum, every time he asks people to email him directly it reinforces the mindset among many people that they have the right to tell Logos how to design it's product, and to tell Bob how to run his business. I have been a Logos user/lover for many, many years, but after several direct interchanges with Bob, and extensive participation in the forums, i found myself becoming a Logos hater. So, I stopped (for the most part Smile )  participating in the forums on anything but the most technical level, I stopped trying to tell Bob how to run his business, and magically I love the product again.

Now, I am picking my my popcorn and going back to spectator status. Stick out tongue

Posts 77
Paul Oertly | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 7:04 AM

Terry Poperszky:
Putting down my popcorn and entering into the fray...

Chris Thompson:

The Cultured Elite attempts to refrain form commenting on the out of control threads, but like it or not, there is a drop of Uncultured Infidel Blood pulsing in their veins. When they can't tolerate the Infidel's babbling any longer, They feel it necessary to set things straight. They set off on a long rant or a bedtime story.... Instructing the Infidels about what they should or should not say on the forums. 

This thread would have died of loneliness long ago, If not for the Cultured Elite trying to kill it. .....God Bless.

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 9:43 AM

Andy ... I can't speak to the culture 'across the pond'. But the use of kissup is fairly common here, even in 'polite society' (though it would merit an eyebrow-raising). It usually pops into the conversation when an obvious problem is ignored in favor of complements to the source of the problem. The observer of the klssup-er normally can not fathom how the kissup-er could possibly complement the source of the obvious problem, and surmises there must be some form of payback (thus the derogatory image).

In the Logos instance, I too am impressed sometimes after a 'Bob' message, that you see a long series of complements. To be gracious to the posters of such comments, I have to assume they're thoroughly happy with their user experience and have no wish to share any frustration with the source of their problem.

My surprise arises when I read one of the complementing posters later say 'they don't use notes because they're so slow'. I think to myself, well, ok ... I guess maybe notes (or some other software issue) is not a critical functionality of Bible study.

Posts 77
Paul Oertly | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 9:58 AM

deleted

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 10:10 AM

Paul Oertly:

Per Wictionary:

kiss-up (plural kiss-ups)

1. (colloquial) One who flatters a supervisor, or superior, in order to get special attention.
    Joe got that promotion because he was a kiss-up, not because he knew the job.

Also see Brown Nose.

I get the impression from the expectation of violent reaction that our Brit friend was equating "kiss-up" with kissing the nether part of one's anatomy.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 10:27 AM

DMB:

To be gracious to the posters of such comments, I have to assume they're thoroughly happy with their user experience and have no wish to share any frustration with the source of their problem.

My surprise arises when I read one of the complementing posters later say 'they don't use notes because they're so slow'. I think to myself, well, ok ... I guess maybe notes (or some other software issue) is not a critical functionality of Bible study.

Or another possibilty is that we agree with whatever statement Bob P has made in a particular thread AND we also think notes could be improved....

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 10:32 AM

DMB:
I too am impressed sometimes after a 'Bob' message, that you see a long series of complements. To be gracious to the posters of such comments, I have to assume they're thoroughly happy with their user experience and have no wish to share any frustration with the source of their problem.

Hmm HHHMMMMMM~~~ Hmm

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 10:37 AM

Now, now, Sam ... even in my own Bible software, where I have verse classifications, one class I have is 'Smooching'.  This is the nicer name for 'kissup' but is the segment of many epistles where the writer seems to want to get the readers happy before delivering some criticism of their behavior.

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 10:53 AM

Robert Pavich:
Or another possibilty is that we agree with whatever statement Bob P has made

WE? Who, Pray tell, are the others in your WE. Are they also dogs with halos?, Or dogs with stars? Other kiss-ups trying to obtain a star? All of the above? Stick out tongue

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 11:11 AM

Chris Thompson:

Robert Pavich:
Or another possibilty is that we agree with whatever statement Bob P has made

WE? Who, Pray tell, are the others in your WE. Are they also dogs with halos?, Or dogs with stars? Other kiss-ups trying to obtain a star? All of the above? Stick out tongue

Yes, me. Do you have problem with it?

Bohuslav

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 11:14 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Yes, me. Do you have problem with it?
I had a bit of a problem seeing your halo...My Bad. Here's a cute little guy. Maybe you would like to use it to update your avatar?

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 11 2011 11:26 AM

DMB:

Andy ... I can't speak to the culture 'across the pond'. But the use of kissup is fairly common here, even in 'polite society' (though it would merit an eyebrow-raising). It usually pops into the conversation when an obvious problem is ignored in favor of complements to the source of the problem. The observer of the klssup-er normally can not fathom how the kissup-er could possibly complement the source of the obvious problem, and surmises there must be some form of payback (thus the derogatory image).

Thanks, DMB, for the kind explanation and trying to help me understand perhaps where MJD was coming from. 

George Somsel:

I get the impression from the expectation of violent reaction that our Brit friend was equating "kiss-up" with kissing the nether part of one's anatomy.

It is that, but my issue wasn't really the offensiveness of the phrase (because, to be honest, it rates poorly on my potty-mouth scale of 1 to 10), it was more to do with the individuals to whom the comment appeared to be addressed. 

For me, the issue is, what do we, users of this forum, actually want? Do we want more of the kind selflessness exemplified by MJ., Robert (and many others) in assisting us to get the most out of our Bible study? Or would we prefer the cynical, mean-spiritedness demonstrated by some others, particularly recently (and I am honestly not pointing specifically to MJD who, in fairness, elsewhere urges forum users to pursue peace)?

The truth is, the so-called 'kiss ups' get my vote every time. And I suspect the many who have benefited from their kind and generous assistance would agree.

Page 15 of 19 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last » | RSS