Performance of L4 in Win7 vs XP

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:49 AM

My indexing finally finished overnight but I have to say that performance is underwhelming at best.

I am experiencing a lot of non-responsive behavior when I do any task.

A search normally takes 4 or 5 seconds to begin.

I am running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit in VMware Fusion 3 on OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro with 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 Gb of memory.

Win7 itself seems pretty responsive but L4 is sluggish at best.

I've tweaked performance settings and excluded the L4 apps and directories from Virus checking without any noticeable improvement.

I'm thinking about installing XP in bootcamp and seeing if L4 will run okay in that environment.

Just curious if anybody has experience with L4 in both XP and Win7 and can advise on performance in XP.

Does this sound like a good move or just a waste of time?

Thanks,

Russ Quinn

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:51 AM

I've run it on both OS' but on two very different machines.

My Xp machine was a Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHZ with 1GB Ram. 

My Win7 is an AMD X264 3800+ with 4GB Ram.

Both systems ran the software fine, though the XP (laptop) was moderately sluggish, more than likely because of both RAM and Processor reasons.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:02 AM

RussQuinn:

My indexing finally finished overnight but I have to say that performance is underwhelming at best.

I am experiencing a lot of non-responsive behavior when I do any task.

A search normally takes 4 or 5 seconds to begin.

I am running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit in VMware Fusion 3 on OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro with 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 Gb of memory.

I've tweaked performance settings and excluded the L4 apps and directories from Virus checking without any noticeable improvement.

I'm thinking about installing XP in bootcamp and seeing if L4 will run okay in that environment.

Just curious if anybody has experience with L4 in both XP and Win7 and can advise on performance in XP.

Does this sound like a good move or just a waste of time?

Thanks,

Russ Quinn

I have no experience with XP, but I do on Vista and Windows 7. It runs a little better on 7 but it is just slow. Until they can somehow tweak things you will have to live with it.

Posts 27038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:24 PM

RussQuinn:

So you have a 32 bit app (L4)  running in a 64-bit OS (Win7) hosted by a 32-bit Mac? How do other intensive 32-bit apps run?

The emulation might need tweaking eg. video interface, key capture, memory allocation (>= 2GB)?

XP would have lower resource demands, so it is a consideration.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:38 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I have no experience with XP, but I do on Vista and Windows 7. It runs a little better on 7 but it is just slow.

Really? I find it to be very fast. Much faster than L3.

Are you running Vista & Win7 through VMWare, or on a PC?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 6:46 PM

Dave Hooton:
So you have a 32 bit app (L4)  running in a 64-bit OS (Win7) hosted by a 32-bit Mac? How do other intensive 32-bit apps run?

OS X 10.6.1, also known as Snow Leopard, is a 64-bit OS and Fusion 3 provides a 64 bit virtualization engine. The only thing that is 32-bit is L4.

This Win7 install itself is responsive enough. I don't have any other apps installed to compare performance with L4.

I suspect that the source of my problems with this installation is that I had to upgrade a 32-bit XP install with my Student discount version of Win 7.

I'm not 100% sure whether or not there were more settings that needed to be changed beyond what is available through the settings panel in Fusion.

I did have to modify a line in the .vmx file to get networking to work after I upgraded to Win 7. I'm not sure the hard drive settings are completely kosher.

Anyway, I have installed XP SP3 on a bootcamp partition and running that in a VM (trying Parallels 5 since I didn't buy Fusion 3 yet).

I can already tell that there is a significant improvement in the indexing time with a range between 7 and 9 hrs instead of 30 hrs in the Win 7 installation.

I'll report back on performance comparisons between XP in bootcamp and XP in the virtual machine.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Russ

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS