What kind of books does Logos publish?

Page 2 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 100 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:56 PM

Bob

I really appreciate your post and thank you and Logos for the technology you provide that has enabled me to study the Bible much more effectively

Graham

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:24 AM

Thank you Bob!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 159
David Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:00 AM

A sound policy, I believe. Over the years, while I've fed well on books espousing my own theological position, I've been more challenged by books from different perspectives. Indeed, that is what has helped establish me in my own position. So well said, Bob. We Christians don't need to run scared.

Posts 10523
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:52 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I almost dare to say, if that recent argument on the forums made you to write this, it was worth of the pain to go through all of it. Smile

Very well stated Bohuslav.

Bob, thank you for that superb summary. Thanks you for the wide range of materials offered in Logos. I especially appreciate the statement concerning materials published by Logos.

David Matthew:
We Christians don't need to run scared.

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes 

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 5:45 AM

Well Said Bob!

I am grateful that I can study multiple viewpoints to help me avoid setting up the logical fallacy of the straw man argument.  

I like my library and like others wish I could grow it faster.  But I am content. (well...trying to be)  :-)

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Thank you Bob so much for that very well explained philosophy of Logos.

I almost dare to say, if that recent argument on the forums made you to write this, it was worth of the pain to go through all of it. Smile

I suggest your post is made easily available both in forums and in Logos Web or Blog.

Thank you very much for an excellent work. Yes

YesYesYes

Ok, I'm going back on vacation now.Cool

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 6:36 AM

I'll add my thumbs up as well, Bob. (even though I can't make the graphic on my iPad!) ;)

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 6:57 AM

I join my voice in singing in harmony with the rest of those on this thread. Only wish that I had the money to purchase more of the resources. 

See my signature.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:13 AM

Thomas Black:
Ok, I'm going back on vacation now

I am in my first of four weeks Thomas. But I thought that was the reason why we took vacations, so we could spend more time on the forums. Wink

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:14 AM

Good luck Bob, personally I am uneasy with the path you have chosen, but frankly I don't see how you can do anything else.

Posts 776
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:36 AM

Bravo, Bob! What a br-r-rave laddie you are. May angels continue to protect you.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:36 AM

Great post, Bob. I believe your rational is sound. If I were in your shoes, aside from the fact that Logos would have went belly up years ago due to lack of business competence, I believe I would have made the same decision.

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 8:02 AM

Thank you, Bob. Yes

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:10 AM

Definitely well crafted.

I'm not sure what's new, except the atheist and agnostic areas. That should be interesting . If folks get uncomfortable about the nuances of Biblical interpretation, I would have to imagine these new areas will be of 'interest'. My guess is that with the library expansion, most rationalizing of personal beliefs are going to fall by the wayside quickly.

The increased attention to tagging resources by author's inclinations will be really invaluable. Right now it's hard to guess where an author's going to 'land' and so scanning the attended-seminary etc. is a necessity. If our pastor ever gets Logos, we can quickly give him some mis-purchases that he'll probably not enjoy too.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:35 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Logos Bible Software will soon be offering general Christian books in e-book format. We’ll be partnering with Christian publishers to offer all of their electronic titles for our Vyrso e-Book Reader, which is compatible with Logos Bible Software 4. The number of titles offered for Logos will more than double very quickly. In this new, larger catalog I know you will find many books you have long wanted to have available digitally. I also know that there are authors and titles there that both you and I wish had never been published. But that’s the price of a large library, and a consequence of the fact that we might actually disagree on some particulars, even while finding unity in essentials.

Moving forward we at Logos will try to do an even better job helping you understand what’s what among the books in our library. We will continue to publish Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, Orthodox, and denominationally-specific works. (Along with academic works by atheists and agnostics.) We will, however, make it clear who the author is, who the publisher is, and the faith tradition of the work. Our own publications, however, will continue to reflect an evangelical perspective. (Some technical and academic works from Logos will contain contributions from non-evangelical scholars, but nothing contrary to our statement of faith.)

We hold Scripture in the highest regard and believe in its unique authority. We see it as the job of the Bible student and Bible teacher to interpret and apply God’s Word, and we have intentionally (and consistently) taken the position that as a business we serve Bible study best by offering a large library and powerful tools, rather than a small library reflecting our own (strongly held) theological positions

I know that some of you agree, but only to a point, believing that this position or that, or this book or that book, are one step too far outside the fold. But I hope that in a world where every modern Bible translation, point of theology, author and pastor has a sincere and thoughtful critic, you can appreciate the value of a library that doesn’t take sides, and come to value Logos Bible Software as a useful tool whose content must still be approached with discernment, like any library, bookstore, radio, television or even the Internet.

Bob,

Thank you for your excellent statement about Logos publishing. I'm sure that most customers have not considered many of the questions faced by a publisher/library that you have detailed.

I spent 10 years managing a small denominational bookstore in a small town. I prided myself on knowing my book selections and my customers. I tried to match the products to the right customers. I also spent over 10 years representing book and Bible publishers to bookstores. I adopted the same type of philosophy with them. Often I would inform a store about a new product, but advise them that it might not be of interest to their particular customers. My customers varied from small "mom and pop" stores to denominational and Catholic stores, conservative to liberal as well as trade bookstores.

I am thrilled with the size and variety of Logos titles.

With the scale of Logos offerings and customers, it is impossible to try to match up individuals with the wide variety of product available. I do appreciate that a greater effort will be made to identify the perspective that an author takes in his books. I'm sure that there will be another debate over any attempt to label/tag perspectives. That is always a difficult job. As a publishers' rep, I was always worried about the sales copy that I was given for a title. Often it represented more of what a title "hoped" to accomplish. At least with Logos, the titles have already been published and reviewed.

We are truly blessed to live today. We have more Christian resources available than ever in history. That includes great current titles as well as classics that have been out of print.

Having these titles available in our Logos software libraries with all the extraordinary abilities provided by the Logos software is absolutely incredible.

Thank you Bob and Logos!

Keep up the great work and I will keep buying as my finances allow.

Posts 141
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:37 AM

Bob, thank you very much your clarifying statements and updating us all on the company's position. It was well stated indeed!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:38 AM

DMB:
If our pastor ever gets Logos, we can quickly give him some mis-purchases that he'll probably not enjoy too.

Logos offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you inadvertently purchase an unappreciated resource Customer Service can help.

DMB:
The increased attention to tagging resources by author's inclinations will be really invaluable. Right now it's hard to guess where an author's going to 'land' and so scanning the attended-seminary etc. is a necessity.

Knowing their seminary education is a helpful barometer but is not fail-safe. Schools go through doctrinal swings. And not all graduates necessarily agree with their professors' indoctrination. (thankfully Wink )

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:44 AM

Thanks Bob.

Well stated, reasonable and clear. If you're looking for support for your company's position, you've got mine. I suspect you don't really need it.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:05 AM

I agree with Bob

What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3
Dan R. Eide | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:25 AM

Dear Bob & Logos,

I appreciate and agree with much of what you articulated in this forum. My concern does not lie exactly with what you are offering in literature. Varied theological perspectives should be welcomed to help sharpen our understanding in a wide array of topics....including theology or different theologies. My concern is Logos providing office support for the non-Christian religion of Catholicism. You are now providing support in your offices for the Catholic religion, which is not Christian.

As a Christian, my support of a cult does matter whether I'm Joe Congregation, Senior Pastor, or CEO of a Christian organization. We are first and last Christian and to fracture our Biblical standards stating it is not acceptable for a Christian pastor to support Catholicism, Mormonism, Jehovah Witnesses and Muslims, but as a Christian ministry it is acceptable and permissible to support these cults is a sad commentary on how we American Christian's view our Christianity. Does Biblical teaching and standards stop at the office door? Could the Christian ministry, Focus on the Family hire a Muslim to help promote Islam to spread the Islamic message around the world?

The sobering words of John in his second letter says, "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. 11 Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work." Is this instruction and warning of the Holy Spirit to be applied only to our personal home, but not applicable for our Christian ministry/business? Is this not to be applied to both to our home residence and our Christian ministry? I think the answer is clear from Scriptures that welcoming another gospel into our home or Christian ministry is unacceptable.

Galatians 1:8 says "8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! The question is why would any Christian Ministry want to financially support a false religion that is diametrically opposed to Jesus and His Teachings? It truly baffles me.

My concern is that eventually, Logos will become a secularized company that happens to offer Christian materials, and to me that is sad.

Pastor Dan R. Eide

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:41 AM

Dan R. Eide:

Dear Bob & Logos,

I appreciate and agree with much of what you articulated in this forum. My concern does not lie exactly with what you are offering in literature. Varied theological perspectives should be welcomed to help sharpen our understanding in a wide array of topics....including theology or different theologies. My concern is Logos providing office support for the non-Christian religion of Catholicism. You are now providing support in your offices for the Catholic religion, which is not Christian.

As a Christian, my support of a cult does matter whether I'm Joe Congregation, Senior Pastor, or CEO of a Christian organization.

Dan, please refrain from bashing other people.  You have a different definition of what a "Christian" is than other people do, and it is inflammatory to call the largest group of believers in the world who claim that name to be, in fact, not Christian.  Your disagreement is a theological one, and is what Bob has been trying to forbid in these forums.  Take it elsewhere.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Page 2 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS