What kind of books does Logos publish?

Page 3 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 100 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:36 PM

Thank you very much, Bob. I sincerely do appreciate the the variety of books being offered at Logos.

Rev Chris:
Dan, please refrain from bashing other people.  You have a different definition of what a "Christian" is than other people do, and it is inflammatory to call the largest group of believers in the world who claim that name to be, in fact, not Christian.  Your disagreement is a theological one, and is what Bob has been trying to forbid in these forums.  Take it elsewhere.

YesYesYesYesYesYesYes

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 22
Kennet | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:57 PM
I agree with you
Posts 22
Kennet | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:59 PM

I agree with you  YesYesYesYesYesYesYes

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:07 PM

Kennet, welcome to the forums.

Kennet Eriksson:
I agree with you

Just a note for future reference, you might click Reply rather than Quick Reply and include a portion of the post to which you are responding. this way, no one would be confused as to which post has your agreement. Clicking on the replied link led to inconclusive results as it could have been either of the last two posts on page 2.

Hope this is clear.

Posts 59
Westie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:15 PM

Bob, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed explanation.  I feel much better after reading this post vs. your prior post.

Thanks for a great product.

Mark

Posts 321
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:40 PM

So I can read this as...we will sell to the widest possible market we can possibly get by stretching the theological statement of the Evangelical Publishing Association until it is distorted.  However, we don't hold a theological position but we cannot publish known "liberal" theologians like Tillich and Reuther because they will offend and violate the EPA statement of faith.  So please buy more products until we can find another hole in which to squeak through more suspect views while maintaining the integrity of the EPA statement.  I would have more respect if the company just said we hold a certain theological position and that is the end of discussion.

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:57 PM

Rene Atchley:

So I can read this as...we will sell to the widest possible market we can possibly get by stretching the theological statement of the Evangelical Publishing Association until it is distorted.  However, we don't hold a theological position but we cannot publish known "liberal" theologians like Tillich and Reuther because they will offend and violate the EPA statement of faith.  So please buy more products until we can find another hole in which to squeak through more suspect views while maintaining the integrity of the EPA statement.  I would have more respect if the company just said we hold a certain theological position and that is the end of discussion.

Apparently you did not read Bob's post very well. Your interpretation is not even close to what he wrote. The EPA statement of faith applies to what Logos self-publishes, not what is republished.

Posts 915
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:59 PM

Rev Chris:

Dan, please refrain from bashing other people.  You have a different definition of what a "Christian" is than other people do, and it is inflammatory to call the largest group of believers in the world who claim that name to be, in fact, not Christian.  Your disagreement is a theological one, and is what Bob has been trying to forbid in these forums.  Take it elsewhere.

I totally agree, I am fast becoming sick and tired of the anti-Catholic rhetoric of some supposed Christians in these forums.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 5:29 PM

Please readers, do not start a flame war. When you walk into any bookstore you read the back of the book, to get an idea as to whether or not you will purchase it. If you are not interested for whatever reason then you put it back.

We MUST NOT, SHOULD NOT ask Logos to do our thinking for us. Carefully consider, go to Amazon or google books or anywhere else and consider before you buy. If you do not like the product, call customer service and ask for a refund or credit.

Because one person does not want book (a), why deprive someone else from having it who desires it, in Logos format.

I say to Logos publish it all, let me decide what I want to buy. I do not want Logos to try and find books that they think I will want. I purchase books that I believe will add to my knowledge, even if there are some things that I do not believe.

My personal desire, Logos will have enough resources, that you can write a complete Masters Thesis, right from your library, if you can afford it of course.

Maybe, a monthly subscription so that you have access to the entire database when online.

I close with my signature:

Everything ever written or spoken published in Logos Bible Software.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 6:46 PM

I agree with Jack. You need to read Bob's post carefully.

Rene Atchley:
but we cannot publish known "liberal" theologians like Tillich and Reuther because they will offend and violate the EPA statement of faith.

I do not think there would be any problem publishing Paul Tillich in Logos. If the Evangelical Publishing Association did not object to Bart Ehrman they either are not paying attention or they are not reading books, or maybe they are not as uptight as some people think they are. Whatever, embracing Tillich is a walk in the park compared to Ehrman's statements. Any real student of theology needs to know what each of them contributes to the dialogue. Logos is helping to educate people, not indoctrinate them.

Rene Atchley:
while maintaining the integrity of the EPA statement.  I would have more respect if the company just said we hold a certain theological position and that is the end of discussion.

While I may even agree with the ECPA statement, I do not need them granting me permission to read a book.  And if you will read Bob's posts carefully, he does talk freely about his personal theology. But he does not presume to decide theology for his employees. (But I bet you he prays for them!)

btw: I am eager to get Tillich in Logos too.Yes

edit: Yeah, I know Bart only edited this one. But you never know about those agnostics!  Devil

edit 2: If you read that ECPA statement for Bible publishers it says "we won't make disparaging remarks against the other" guys...  That is all Bob is asking of us.

Question: Is it EPA? Or is it the ECPA?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:30 PM

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:35 PM

Dan R. Eide:
My concern is that eventually, Logos will become a secularized company that happens to offer Christian materials, and to me that is sad.

Pastor Dan R. Eide

If I had my wish, Logos would offer every book that Amazon sells. Imagine being able to do searches and lists, etc., for all those books!!!

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 8:00 PM

Eric Weiss:
If I had my wish, Logos would offer every book that Amazon sells. Imagine being able to do searches and lists, etc., for all those books!!!

Eric if I had my wish, every book, pamplet etc., well maybe not everyone would be published. Some sites I do not want to visit, neither some books and magazines.

I can hear the programmers groaning, thinking about all the new datatype, and linking needed to be created. I am satisfied with just Religion and Theology.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:44 PM

Dan R. Eide:
My concern is that eventually, Logos will become a secularized company that happens to offer Christian materials, and to me that is sad.

Dan, I appreciate your concern, but do want to point out that Logos is, and has always been, a business. We have intentionally eschewed the label "ministry" or even "Christian company." The first because of our high regard for ministry as a calling, and the belief that it would be wrong to take on that label when we are in fact organized as a for-profit corporation. The second because people have souls, and companies don't. 

I hope you'll find this post helpful: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/35165/267014.aspx#267014 -- we aren't trying to provide support for anything in particular beyond studying the Bible.

For what it's worth, we are legally and structurally more like Amazon than Focus on the Family. It's actually illegal for us to discriminate in hiring based on religion; I am legally not allowed to ask about people's faith in an interview. As a result, we have a diverse staff: I'm pretty that among our 230+ employees there are a few dozen evangelical denominations, some Catholics, at least one Jew (who has since left, after giving us a lot of help with Hebrew resources!) and even a few atheists. Practically speaking, we're more like ChristianBook.com (formerly CBD) than Amazon, in that we have a category focus ("about the Bible"), and not every book in the world (though I hear you asking, Lynden!). And we do have Christians in leadership and the goals of the leaders inform and influence the corporation. 

(Please remember that I'm making a technical point about the company here, not a personal one. I still have a soul! :-) I just don't want to let anyone mistakenly label Logos a ministry, with all the implications and honor-in-the-calling that brings, when the company doesn't deserve that title. I do believe that ministry-the-function can be accomplished by people in organizations that are not "ministry organizations" -- but then it's the act of a person, not the organization.)

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 5:38 AM

Bob Pritchett:
want to point out that Logos is, and has always been, a business. We have intentionally eschewed the label "ministry" or even "Christian company."

Unfortunately for you Dan a lot of people don't see this and treat you like a ministry. 

Your point in the opening post of this thread is well made your mission, as a business, must be to make the resources available to aid study and not to limit this to a narrow doctrinal view no matter how right you personally believe that view is. Our responsibility as users is to recognise how these resources relate to what we believe doctrinally.

At a recent teaching session at our Leadership Training Centre one of the attendees asked how we could help him identify what was doctrinally safe to read. The facilitator answered that our role is not to dictate who or what they read but to give them the tools to determine this for themselves. In a later session on our Basis of Faith I was able to pick up this issue and explore it further with the students.

IMHO the problem is not that there are resources that might make people believe the wrong thing but that there are too many Christians who do not actually know what they believe!

My library is a varied one and I enjoy many of the resources that I 'disagree' with as much as I do those the ones that I agree with.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 6:22 AM

Graham Owen:
IMHO the problem is not that there are resources that might make people believe the wrong thing but that there are too many Christians who do not actually know what they believe!

Far too many Church people have been told what to believe but have no comprehension of why they should believe it. I once taught a class on the triunity of God. One young man in the class, who was new to the Church, questioned everything. Some of the others resented him at first. Near the end of the sessions, one lady told me how valuable the class had been, especially with Carl's questioning. Her remark was especially enlightening: "All my life I have been told what to believe, now I know why I should."

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 6:39 AM

Bob Pritchett:
I just don't want to let anyone mistakenly label Logos a ministry, with all the implications and honor-in-the-calling that brings, when the company doesn't deserve that title.

I think many confuse the terms because Logos is focused on tools related to Bible study and ministry. Logos is a blessing to those in ministry by providing tools that can be greatly used for their ministry.

I believe (although some disagree) that Logos operates as a business using both Christian principles and sound business principles. Publishing is a precarious business today. Many are struggling and some have not survived. Logos has an impressive track record of being a solid business that we can expect to be around for a long time.

I do not question the motives of the ownership and management the way that I might of a company whose sole purpose was profit by any means.

Keep up the great work.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:09 AM

Jack Caviness:
One young man in the class, who was new to the Church, questioned everything. Some of the others resented him at first. Near the end of the sessions, one lady told me how valuable the class had been, especially with Carl's questioning.

Aha!    "Carl the Berean."   He gets around a lot.

In addition to helping other students "Carl the Berean" keeps pastors/teachers on their toes. It is very gratifying to have a disciplining/mentoring relationship with such a truth-seeker.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3658
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:21 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

I suggest your post is made easily available both in forums and in Logos Web or Blog.

Yes

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3
Dan R. Eide | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:42 AM

Eric, I love the rich and growing diversity of books offered in Logos and the flexibility I have in choosing books to download. My concern is the hiring of and providing material support to help propagate the gospel of a false religion by Logos. This is my primary concern The hiring of someone who is to help advance the Catholic religion. My view that Catholics are not Christian is not a new one and it flows not from simply my personal opinion, but flows from the Bible, theology, hermeneutics, apologetics and this view has been rightly held by Protestants for hundreds of years.

Page 3 of 6 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS