The Jewish Encyclopedia 12 Vol. $50.00

Page 4 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 67 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 10:32 AM

fgh:

Dan Francis:
WOW.. All I can say is this work is stupendous. (...) it;s worth every penny of it;s now regular price.

How about writing a review for the product page?

I was way too verbose, I did snip off the end but here is what I had hoped to place as a review:

This is a monumental work and even though it is over a hundred years old it in no way feels dated, beyond the occasional thee/thou/thy/etc.. Scholars still refer to it a most useful reference work for studying today. It is so well annotated as wikipedia states "the Jewish Encyclopedia's almost obsessive attention to manuscript discovery, manuscript editing and publication, manuscript comparison, manuscript dating, and so on…" (as you will see in the except below).  It's reverential treatment of Christian texts a pleasant surprise, since this favour was so oft not returned in the history of the the Church.  The Jewish Encyclopedia drew heavily on German Jewish sources and it is wonderful to know that this wisdom and knowledge was preserved when soon in it's home country it would start to be extinguished… It's articles are well written, truly a pleasure to read, and not dry at all like so many academic works. I would like to end this short review with a quote from the end of the article on Shekinah:

A Gentile asked the patriarch Gamaliel (c. 100): “Thou sayest that wherever ten are gathered together the Shekinah appears; how many are there?” Gamaliel answered: “As the sun, which is but one of the countless servants of God, giveth light to all the world, so in a much greater degree doth the Shekinah” (Sanh. 39a). The emperor (Hadrian) said to Rabbi Joshua b. Hananiah, “I desire greatly to see thy God.” Joshua requested him to stand facing the brilliant summer sun, and said, “Gaze upon it.” The emperor said, “I can not.” “Then,” said Joshua, “if thou art not able to look upon a servant of God, how much less mayest thou gaze upon the Shekinah?” (Ḥul. 60a). Rab Sheshet (c. 300) was blind, and could not perceive when the Shekinah appeared in the Shaf we-Yatib synagogue of Nehardea, where it rested when it was not in the synagogue at Huzal. In the former synagogue Samuel and Levi heard the sound of its approach and fled (Meg. 29a). The Shekinah tinkled like a bell (Soṭah 9b), while the Holy Spirit also manifested itself to human senses in light and sound. The Holy Spirit had the form of a dove, and the Shekinah had wings. Thus he who acknowledged God took refuge under the wings of the Shekinah (Shab. 31a; Sanh. 96a); and Moses when dead lay in its pinions (Sifre, Deut. 355; Soṭah 13b; Targumic passages in Maybaum, l.c. p. 65). The saints enjoy the light of the Shekinah in heaven (Ber. 17a, 64a; Shab. 30a; B. B. 10a).
Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:05 AM

Nice review, Dan!

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 1:32 PM

I am disappointed that there is no entry for Sabbatai Zevi, but then again the very absence is interesting

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 1:41 PM

Mike Pettit:

I am disappointed that there is no entry for Sabbatai Zevi, but then again the very absence is interesting

You mean logosres:jewshencyc;hw=Shabbethai_Z$CC$A3ebi_B._Mordecai?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:27 PM

fgh:

Mike Pettit:

You mean logosres:jewshencyc;hw=Shabbethai_Z$CC$A3ebi_B._Mordecai?

Many thanks for this, I guess my mistake was searching for Zevi not Zebi, I am very grateful for the help here.

I have always been fascinated by this bit of history, it would be nice if Logos published some of  the works on Zevi such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabbatai-Sevi-Mystical-1626-1676-Bollingen/dp/069101809X/ref=pd_sim_b_1#_

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 3:43 AM

Mike Pettit:
I guess my mistake was searching for Zevi not Zebi

I simply opened the TOC and looked for 'Shabb...'.

I wish Logos' LCV was better than it is.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 4:51 AM

So the Pre-Pub price was $50$ -?

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 917
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2013 4:55 AM

Room4more:

So the Pre-Pub price was $50$ -?

No. That was the price it came out of CP

Page 4 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS