Suggestion: Allowing husband and wives to share one Logos 4 license

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:28 PM

RichardStimson:
I do not know the answer.  People steal software and do not think of it as stealing (yes even Christians).  Yet I do think I should be able to share my electronic books with my wife just as I do with my paper books.  But yes, we are two users.

Richard,

Have you read Floyd's re-post of Bob Pritchett's comments on this? It is the 7th post in this thread. (Bob is the CEO of Logos, in case you don't know that.)

It seems fairly clear it is acceptable for her to read your electronic book. If she however installs the whole Logos program and resource library and is using it professionally to teach, preach, or whatever. They say she should have her own license. It is also clear they don't want a network of computers set up in the church library for 15 people to be using one license.  You and your wife should know where you fall in this picture.

I have seen some users who have one license on 2 desktops (church office & home computers.) There are those who use one laptop and one desktop. I have even heard of a preacher that uses one church office computer, one home desktop and one netbook for on the road. Logos has been kind enough to maintain flexibility for their user base.  It would be easy to say "let your conscience be your guide" but some users have a much duller conscience than others.

I can't tell you where to draw the line. Sharing with your non-professional wife using the same hardware is probably no problem. I do think if you are sharing in a wider circlle, maybe it is beyond the scope of one license. Even a second license would not allow a whole group to access your library.....

(Just my 2 cents worth (and in today's economy that is only 1.4 cents)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 2:51 PM

Richard,

It looked like Bob P was saying two things...

A husband and wife are one user...basically...

You know what your conscience tells you; whether you are being true or "trying to find a loop hole"

Let everyone be convinced in his mind...

If you're in the scenario that Bob described...then no problemo..if you're trying to find a way around things....you've got a conscience problem brother... :)

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 4:03 PM

Or Logos could do what Apple does with some of their software. Offer a "Family Pack" that allows the user to purchase two or three licenses in a bundle at a discount of what it'd cost to purchase two copies of the same software. Not sure how this would work for individual unlocks, but for base collections (especially the pricier ones), it might help.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 4:07 PM

Nathan,

bob already poo poo'd that idea it looks like....

It seems like he's settled on...."let your conscience be your guide... :)

Robert Pavich

Posts 32
Richard Stimson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 4:07 PM

Sometimes it is as clear as mud?!?!?

I think the following statement came from Bob P:

But if we extend the license to "officially" allow family use, we get (actual) scenarios like: Joe and Mary are both ordained ministers who attend and preach at different churches on Sunday morning. Each has an office, their own computer, their own salary and budget, and even their own church secretary. This, to me, doesn't feel like "one user". This feels like two users.

Well my wife and I came off our honeymoon and started the ministry we now serve in.  I work out of our home and do have an office.  My wife is a teacher.  We have one computer at home and one in the office.  But she is also on staff with the ministry.  28 years ago she would use my Vines and Strongs today she uses my Logos.  Not thinking I am hard hearted, but open to correction.  Also, she may have (28 yrs ago) at times use some of my books at a ladies Bible study.  At that moment that book was not available to me.  I guess it is one of the downsides of electronic books.  The upside makes up for it, but it is a downside.  A downside that has come from people misusing their electronic books, not by Logos.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 4:28 PM

Richard...

It seems as if you and your wife are "partners" or whatever word you want to use...in ministry...

that seems to be following the spirit of Bob's statement of acceptance...

In my mind it would be different if you and your wife were separate ministers in separate places trying to scam one license into two....

Robert Pavich

Posts 1482
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:11 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Our interaction will be with this "one user" who logs in, and who has one username, one email address, one mailing address, one name, one credit card, and one password. One set of note files, prayer lists, and reading plans. "One user."

Bob must have been meditating on Eph 4:5 Smile

Floyd Johnson:
We also get Pastor Joe who has a 22 year old son Joe, Jr. in seminary, or a 35 year old son who is a pastor across the country...  But Pastor Joe and grown-up Joe, Jr. seem like two users to me.

Joe Miller - was Bob prophesying about you...? Smile

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:17 PM

Some more food for thought.

I own printed books, and even though I purchased them, other's in my family are welcome to pull a book off my library and read it. When I purchased the book at the store, they did not tell me that I'm the only one who's allowed to read/view it.

Not sure what the difference is in Bible software. I clearly see the legal reasons for licensing software on a per-computer basis, but for family members to access other family member's books....

Nathan Parker

Posts 38
Scott Stackelhouse | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:30 PM

The problem is we are talking about duplication, not transference.  It's just as illegal for one to make a physical copy of a book as it is for one to make a digital copy.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:41 PM

Scott S:

The problem is we are talking about duplication, not transference.  It's just as illegal for one to make a physical copy of a book as it is for one to make a digital copy.

Yes, that is the way I understand it. If itis likely two people will be using two installations of Logos at the same time, then it seems as though there should be two licenses. If fact, standard copyright rules forbid making a physical copy of a book whether or not it is "likely" to be read by two simultaneously. Bob is just being nice to allow spouses to use the same license.

It has been requested before to implement some type of temporary book loaning license feature. Even one that removes the book from the lender's library while the borrower has it. My guess is the programming at this stage is more than the feature is worth at this time. There are bigger priorities for the codies   I bet it is added down the road.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 8:05 PM

That's understandable. It's hard sometimes to distinguish between "books" and "software", especially when your dealing with the intertwining of the both.

Nathan Parker

Posts 32
Richard Stimson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:51 AM

You know 28 years ago (before electronic books), there were books I had to buy two copies of to have one in my office and one at my home.  Mostly refrence books like a Dictionary.  There are trade offs.  With Logos 4 I will not only have copies of all my books in my office, home and on the road - they will all be opened to the same page.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:08 AM

LOGOS 4's interfunctionality with different media options opens a whole new set of problems.

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:20 AM

Joe,

Sorry to be late getting back to you.  I am also sorry that you missed my comment to be more of a joke than anything else.  If I were going to imply doing anything dishonest, your words, this forum would probably be my last avenue for expressing such a desire.

don

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:37 AM

RQuanstrom:
LOGOS 4's interfunctionality with different media options opens a whole new set of problems

In my mind....it's clear. Like the bible's admonition on those "grey areas" that aren't spelled out...

You KNOW if what you're doing is either the right thing to do...or the wrong thing to do....

Bob has said....if you just want your wife to be able to use the software...then have at it...but if your aim is to scam a free copy for your "pastor of another church" wife...then you ALREADY know the answer...right?

It doesn't seem that hard to me. :)

Robert Pavich

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:56 AM

Andrew Ma:
means that I can only install on my machines. My first suggestion and request is to allow husband and wives to share one Logos license by updating the EULA to allow it.

I'm a firm believer that whatever a husband and wife do in the privacy of their own computers is their own business -- just don't blab it all over.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:12 AM

In the end it will always come down to "What's worth more to you, your money or your soul?"  The flexibility of your conscience will be directly related to your value system.  If you value your soul you will be willing to part with mere money to protect it. If you value money you will sell your soul cheaply.

As pastors it is our duty to lead by example. As churches we will forfeit most of the only currency we have that is of worth- our moral authority - if we sponsor or even condone theft (IT IS NOT PIRACY, that involves ships at sea) or dishonesty.  If you feel compelled to steal a bible or bible software why not find a more worldly position and forget religion altogether.

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:48 AM

Robert Pavich:
You KNOW if what you're doing is either the right thing to do...or the wrong thing to do....

I wish that were always the case.

Robert Pavich:

Bob has said....if you just want your wife to be able to use the software...then have at it...but if your aim is to scam a free copy for your "pastor of another church" wife...then you ALREADY know the answer...right?

So a polygamist can let all his wives use one license? Devil

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:50 AM

Matthew C Jones:
So a polygamist can let all his wives use one license? Devil

Hey...that Pharisee hat you've got on is a little crooked... :)

Robert Pavich

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:52 AM

Robert Pavich:
Hey...that Pharisee hat you've got on is a little crooked... :)

I was wondering where that hat went to! Matthew...give it back!

Page 2 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS