Has Lion Rearranged Finder's organization?

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 21 2011 10:23 PM

I wanted to report a crash I've noticed with in the last two Betas while opening up a large custom layout.  When trying to activate logging I notice the Logos4 folder no longer appears under the Application Support folder in finder.  I heard some files were hidden with the Lion Update.  I have no idea how to navigate to my resource library or any of the crash log files.  Did Lion move this around or am I just not looking in the right spot?

...even searching my Mac HD for folders such as "Logos4" yields no results.  "library.db" seems not to exist either (However this can't be true because my L4Mac runs fine on my computer currently)

Posts 1073
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:11 PM

I saw on a apple.com forum that The user/library path is now hidden. (I think it was related to an Adobe folder).

You can use the Finder menu Go ... Go to Folder to get around this, if you know the path ... mine is /Users/Martin/Library/Application support/Logos 4

I happened to have an alias to that location which took me around the 'hidden' part.

You can permanently change a folder to be visible, but my knowledge of this is nill. I am sure KS4J or somebody will step in here (please!)

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:32 PM

Martin Folley:
You can permanently change a folder to be visible, but my knowledge of this is nill. I am sure KS4J or somebody will step in here (please!)

Apologies: have not yet upgraded to OS X Lion.

Found couple web pages:

=> http://mac.finerthingsin.com/post/7849528212/lion-library-folder-visible

=> http://www.macgurulounge.com/library-folder-mac-os-lion/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:33 PM

Ok I found a fix I think:

see these two websites:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/428277-unhide-library-folder-in-mac-os-x-107-lion/

and

http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/get-your-library-folder-back-from-the-lion/

I'm almost ecrtain it caused Logos4 and various other programs to reappear in the Library folder.  I'm going to make sure I was always going through the same path to look for this folder...

[EDIT] - Thanks KS4J!!

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:41 PM

Man what a mess Apple has created and for what seems like trivial reasons.  Is the wiki able to reflect this kink to Lion users when logging.  I wouldn't even know how to word it... a bunch of if... then... statements Stick out tongue

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:47 PM

Paul Newsome:

Man what a mess Apple has created and for what seems like trivial reasons.  Is the wiki able to reflect this kink to Lion users when logging.  I wouldn't even know how to word it... a bunch of if... then... statements Stick out tongue

Wonder which web site was most useful ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:53 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Wonder which web site was most useful ?

I like your first one.  It doesn't assume everyone knows what their computer's possibly unique file pathing is yet allows the users to understand the concept.  Plus it visually shows what Martin was talking about.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:57 PM

Wonder if wiki page Diagnostic Logging => How to Report Bugs in Logos 4 Mac looks good ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:59 PM

looks good to me!  Thanks again KS4J :)

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 12:13 AM

lol!  Thats a lot of editing!  Can we have a splash screen just appear and ask all Mac users if they have Lion running currently?  Its like a Choose Your Own Adventure novel!

[EDIT]  WSurpriseW KS4J you already did it.  Those look good too!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 12:18 AM

Paul Newsome:
[EDIT]  WSurpriseW KS4J you already did it.  Those look good too!

Copy and paste helped speed up editing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 1:48 AM

Seeing that we cannot rely on the linked page always being available wouldn't 

'hold the Option key when clicking Finder’s Go menu to make a hidden Library option appear'

suffice?

More worrying to me is the prospect of dealing with the convoluted way of turning Logging On and Off - this really should be an option in the preferences menu.

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 4:42 AM

As a side note to this, I have put a link to the logging folder on the Sidebar to make it quick to get to later.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 7:03 AM

Think I'll leave Lion well alone for now!!

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 214
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:08 AM

This article definitely worth looking at: Five quick Lion tips to make the transition easier

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20081424-263/five-quick-lion-tips-to-make-the-transition-easier/#ixzz1SqZXCf5k

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 9:11 AM

Alan Macgregor:

Think I'll leave Lion well alone for now!!

Scaredy Cat  :-)

Actually I think Logos is a bit more responsive and I just love the new gestures in Safari.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:10 AM

Mike Binks:

Seeing that we cannot rely on the linked page always being available wouldn't 

'hold the Option key when clicking Finder’s Go menu to make a hidden Library option appear'

suffice?

My preferred solution to returning Library to its former visibility is:

Open Terminal

Enter the command: chflags nohidden ~/Library

Library will then show up in Finder.

Posts 168
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 11:19 PM

Mike, Thanks for the excellent tip. Holding "option" while clicking the "Go" menu makes my true and entire "Library" folder appear. When choosing "Library" the "Logos 4" folder appears. 

Mark Nigro

Pastor/Teacher/Student/Writer

www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 2 2011 3:40 AM

Paul Newsome:

Man what a mess Apple has created and for what seems like trivial reasons.  

Not really, the real problem is that Logos does not (yet) have a user friendly way for users to save and access log files.

Apple hid the user Library folder to protect it from unsophisticated users who could, by 'playing'  around in there, damage things. The very same users who would then complain when things got busted that Apple did not do enough to protect them!

Apple hid it but then also gave people multiple temporary or permanent ways to get to it if necessary

• Hold down Option key when choosing Go from menu
  • Shift-Command-G and type in "~/Library"
  • various preferences hacks

Anyway we digress from the fact that Logos needs to make a user friendly way for average users to package up logs to report crashes while running beta versions... which they would not need to run in the first place if the software was working well... (oops, was that a note of dissent creeping out Wink ). 

Things like the crash log file dump (for reporting) should never be put into ~/Library/Application Support in the first place, they should be put into something like ~/Documents. Or, if they were to be saved in ~/Library/Application Support/Logos 4 etc., there should be a user friendly way for users to choose the log and export it for emailing or whatever.

I have recently migrated to Lion and I would have to say that it is the best release that Apple has brought out yet.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS