SUGGESTION: Narrative hermeneutics and theology

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26285
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 25 2011 12:14 AM
  • Narrative Theology As A Hermeneutic Approach by David Hampton
  • The Dark Interval: Towards a Theology of Story by John Dominic Crossan
  • The Eclipse of Biblical Narrative: A Study in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Hermeutics by Hans W. Frei
  • Theology and Narrative: AA Critical Introduction by Michael Goldberg
  • How to Read the Bible as Literature ... and Get More Out of It by Leland Ryken
  • Why Narrative? Readings in Narrative Theology by Stanley M. Hauerwas, L. Gregory Jones

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 11:19 PM

Piggy-backing onto an old thread to bump it.

MJ. Smith:
The Eclipse of Biblical Narrative: A Study in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Hermeutics by Hans W. Frei

MJ. Smith:
Why Narrative? Readings in Narrative Theology by Stanley M. Hauerwas, L. Gregory Jones

Yes

Would love to see all the books on my Narrative Theology Listmania! list on Amazon.com available in Logos (a few already are), especially:

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 5:58 PM

We now have some of these:

Rosie Perera:

But we still need these ones:

Rosie Perera:

Posts 26285
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 8:02 PM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26285
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 10:36 PM

Rosie Perera:

Also related:

• Kingsbury, Jack Dean. Matthew as Story. Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1988.
  • Rhoads, David M., and Kari Syreeni. Characterization in the Gospels: Reconceiving Narrative Criticism. Vol. 184. Journal for the Study of the New Testament Supplement Series. London; New York: T&T Clark, 2004.
  • Merenlahti, Petri. Poetics for the Gospels? Rethinking Narrative Criticism. Studies of the New Testament and Its World. London; New York: T&T Clark, 2002.

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 11:57 PM

Thanks a lot for the info!

I recently found and bought https://www.logos.com/product/6528/poetics-for-the-gospels-rethinking-narrative-criticism and plan to read it this year. Did not find those others.

For these:

MJ. Smith:
  Also related:

• Kingsbury, Jack Dean. Matthew as Story. Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1988.
  • Rhoads, David M., and Kari Syreeni. Characterization in the Gospels: Reconceiving Narrative Criticism. Vol. 184. Journal for the Study of the New Testament Supplement Series. London; New York: T&T Clark, 2004.
  • Merenlahti, Petri. Poetics for the Gospels? Rethinking Narrative Criticism. Studies of the New Testament and Its World. London; New York: T&T Clark, 2002.

I dug out the links:

https://www.logos.com/product/32169/matthew-as-story-2nd-ed 

https://www.logos.com/product/6527/characterization-in-the-gospels-reconceiving-narrative-criticism 

https://www.logos.com/product/6528/poetics-for-the-gospels-rethinking-narrative-criticism 

(Syreeni and Merenlahti are Finns, in case you appreciate that) 

Lexam methods has a very short introduction to narrative hermeneutics: https://www.logos.com/product/129139/lexham-methods-series-literary-approaches-to-the-bible 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 26285
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 12:10 AM

Veli Voipio:
Syreeni and Merenlahti are Finn

Totally off topic: For North Americans of my age this brings to mind Tales from a Finnish Tupa. As a small child, I thought it was "tuba" like my brother played in the marching band.Surprise

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 6:52 PM

Rosie Perera:

We now have some of these:

Rosie Perera:

But we still need these ones:

Rosie Perera:

I've purchased about 1/3 of the above titles in the last year and about another 1/3 are on my "soon to purchase" list. Since I know there are many Robert Alter aficionados on the forum, it bears pointing out that Kermode's The Literary Guide to the Bible is co-edited by Alter (they share real estate on the spine).

Alter has received much support on the forum, but I'm still not sure that a majority of folks comprehend how important many of these titles are in terms of developing a coherent understanding of the Bible's message. Ideas that have managed to gain purchase (such as historio-critical moves and various doctrinal movements) take significant jabs to the solar plexus as a result of some of the insights gained from the kinds of analysis found in these resources. Many of these titles are in the "must have" category for serious Bible students. I hope more people will voice their support for these titles.

Posts 30
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 8:22 PM

Might as well add Gary Rendsburg‘s recent book to the list, How the Bible is Written

Just received it Wednesday.

It would be a wonderful addition and immensely enhanced by its inclusion in Logos.

Posts 26285
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 8:51 PM

That does look good - thanks for mentioning it.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 12:31 AM

I find myself immediately less hopeful that How the Bible is Written will be a beacon of insight in light shade of his other title, The Redaction of Genesis. Even though his take on the redaction "process" is (it seems) fundamentally different than is typical of Biblical scholars who traffic in the idea, it still appears that his approach doesn't account for the simple fact of prophecy. People can't prophesy in the way the Bible does. Period. There is, and can only be, one Author of Scripture. Because there isn't a single book of the Bible that isn't utterly saturated with intricately woven prophecy, any discussion of "differing authorial voices" is a notion that is fundamentally crippled if not altogether stillborn. While it is within the realm of possibility (however unlikely) that YHWH chose to employ the extraordinarily complex path of assemblage proposed by redactional critics, whatever their stripe, I seriously doubt that much if anything that is useful will come from the inherently uncertain and speculative assumptions that are employed in the reverse-engineering process...never mind the inexplicable fact that not a single scrap of the dozens of speculated proto-documents has ever been found.

That said, Rendsburg's book (TRoG) does focus on narrative and poetic elements of the Bible's construction that might provide insight to readers that ultimately have little or nothing to do with actual redaction (as typically envisioned). It may be worth a read for those reasons alone. I would suggest that TRoG be added to the list of titles this thread is assembling, but there is no need. It is already in Logos. Thankfully, I already own it. Perhaps I can shoe-horn it into my "must read" list, already glutted with dozens of other titles.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 12:52 AM

This is also already in Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS