BUG? PBs built from Word 2003 have a smaller font than those built from Word 2007/2010

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:27 PM | Locked

EDIT: after typing this, I realized that Steve may have Word 2003 also...so I'm not sure what the difference would be. Steve was using Word 2010.

I've complained before about the "default" font size in my personal books being too small.  That is to say, the default "Normal" MSWord style (Times New Roman 12 point) comes out too small when compiled into Logos.

Well I've downloaded some PBs from the forum that didn't have that problem, and I've come to the conclusion that it must be Word 2003 that is generating something different that the compiler treats differently.

Recently I downloaded Steve Clark's "Commentary Only" pbb and it compiled to a proper font size.

THEN when I opened and re-saved it in Word 2003, without making any changes, and compiled it again, it has a smaller font size in Logos.  Here is the side-by-side comparison of the two files:

The text in "Commentary Test - Steve" is the same as all other resources, while the text in "Commentary Test - Todd" is smaller than the Logos Default.

Here is Steve's original: 1727.Steve-Commentary-Only.docx

And here it is after I resaved it in Word 2003: 4786.Todd-Commentary-Only.docx

Any ideas?  I'm tired of trying to get my font to be the right size.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 236
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:40 PM | Locked

I'm using Word 2003 and I noticed too that the compiled PB had a smaller font than should be (with Times new roman 12p). I also noticed that if the text style is "Normal (web)" (in Word) the compiled text is normal size, but with text style "Normal" the size is smaller (with the same font and size in the same docx-document). (The "Normal (web)" style has a blank row after every paragraph and the "Normal" doesn't.)

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 3:22 PM | Locked

FYI, I tried changing the Normal style to be 14 point instead of 12, and, strangely, it had no effect on the font size in Logos.

Mikko Paavola:
I also noticed that if the text style is "Normal (web)" (in Word) the compiled text is normal size

Good to know.

Mikko Paavola:
(The "Normal (web)" style has a blank row after every paragraph and the "Normal" doesn't.)

I didn't find that to be the case when I applied it to some sample text.  In fact, I can't find any difference between them other than the name.  The name might actually be the reason the compiler treats them differently.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 28696
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 4:01 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
I didn't find that to be the case when I applied it to some sample text.  In fact, I can't find any difference between them other than the name.  The name might actually be the reason the compiler treats them differently.

I've had some douments where normal (web) was space and a half between lines. The styls names don't have fixed meanings btween documents although there is a default to which they may be set.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 6:20 PM | Locked

Todd,

i do have Office 2003. But to determine how to get pictures to embed into PB i downloaded the Trial version of Office 2010. Indeed the pictures embed into PB using Word 2010.

i have Office 2003 on purpose. i have many years of code written as VBA in Excel and after Office 2007 came out it does not behave properly with VBA. So i do not have plans to get rid of 2003.

i think that the docx that you loaded of mine was done in 2010 version. It would be Very useful to me if Logos supported 2003 along with the compatibility add-in which generates docx files. As far as i can tell there is no significant improvements in the 2010 version that would be of use to me. So i would hate to have to buy the 2010 version just for Logos4 as i am on a very tight budget.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 6:53 PM | Locked

steve clark:
i think that the docx that you loaded of mine was done in 2010 version. It would be Very useful to me if Logos supported 2003 along with the compatibility add-in which generates docx files.... So i would hate to have to buy the 2010 version just for Logos4 as i am on a very tight budget.

Thanks, Steve. I'm with you.

Well there you go, Logos: Fonts and images are a problem with 2003-generated docx files. 

It would help many of us if these problems were addressed.

Posts 6584
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 31 2011 7:30 PM | Locked

Steve as a workaround, open a hotmail account if you do not have one, and use the online word program (2007 - 2010) embedded in skydrive. Then save the file, and download to your computer.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 7:43 AM | Locked

Lynden Williams:
Steve as a workaround, open a hotmail account if you do not have one, and use the online word program (2007 - 2010) embedded in skydrive. Then save the file, and download to your computer.

Thanks Lynden! i have 50 some odd days left on the free trial of Office 2010, after it runs out i may need to use your suggestion.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 11:19 AM | Locked

Todd Phillips:

FYI, I tried changing the Normal style to be 14 point instead of 12, and, strangely, it had no effect on the font size in Logos.

I can see a difference between the 12 pt size in Word 2003 compared to the size in the personal book; it is smaller in the book. However, if I select the text that is in 12pt and change the font to 14 pt, the increase in size is reflected in the book.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 11:24 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Todd Phillips:

I can see a difference between the 12 pt size in Word 2003 compared to the size in the personal book; it is smaller in the book. However, if I select the text that is in 12pt and change the font to 14 pt, the increase in size is reflected in the book.

But a manual font change is exceedingly difficult in a preformatted document.  Changing the font size in the style definition is the proper way to do it, and it doesn't work.  But either way I have to make the text larger than it should be in Word 2003 to make it look the same in Logos.

Posts 236
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 11:58 AM | Locked

This bug makes us to do much extra work, so I hope it will be fixed soon.

The only usable temporal workaround seems to be what Lynden suggested: to send the file to skydrive and resave it there before compiling.

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 1 2011 1:01 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:

But a manual font change is exceedingly difficult in a preformatted document.  Changing the font size in the style definition is the proper way to do it, and it doesn't work.  But either way I have to make the text larger than it should be in Word 2003 to make it look the same in Logos.

Right, I'm not discounting the smaller font issue.

You probably shouldn't change the Normal style, though, unless you want the larger font size to be used on a regular basis for your Word documents (outside of PB use, too). I recommend creating a New Style with the larger font size and save it to the Normal.dot template (Save to template) so it will be available in all new documents. Then choose that style prior to creating your document. Or, you can also just change the font size prior to composing a document. Either way, the PB tool will respect that size. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS