Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide Not Working...Blank Screen

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3
Tim Ferguson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:00 AM

Up until last week everything with my logos software has worked perfectly.  Then out of nowhere (no notable updates to my computer or software and no added resources) the exegetical guide and passage guide have stopped working.  When I put in a verse, chapter, or book from anywhere in the Bible and choose either passage guide or exegetical guide a new window pops up but it says blank.  The program does not  freeze up because I can close the window but I have left it for up to 10 minutes and the window remains blank.

I can do a Bible and commentary search and it works as it should.

I have a macbook pro, running snow leopard.

Any thoughts on how to fix the problem?

Posts 28022
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 7:32 AM

Tim - 

First, welcome to the forums! Sorry you are having troubles. 

Unfortunately, I do not know how to read log reports. I am sure someone will pop in here sometime today. In the mean time, could you give us the specs of your MacBook Pro? What version of Snow Leopard are you running? What is the build for Logos? Also, could you post a screen shot? Command-Shift-3 will give you an entire screen shot; Command-Shift-4 will allow you to select a portion of your screen.

You can also visit the Bug Report wiki, to give you some ideas of other things the tech guys might need.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:27 AM

Tim,

As Mr.Alabama inferred above, it would be a great help to see some diagnostic logs from your program highlighting the issue.

However, I'm a little stumped as to how to actually try to reproduce what you are doing.  You've indicated that you 'put in a verse, chapter, or book' and then select which guide you want.  Where is it that you are entering the passage?  Maybe you could post your steps to reproduce the issue (the more specific, the better.)

Just in case you haven't, once the blank window has popped up have you tried entering a reference in the box at the top and then hitting the 'Enter' key on your keyboard?

Posts 3
Tim Ferguson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:32 AM

Alright, I'm new at this so I'll do what I can..

Macbook Pro specs

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3-OS X Version 10.6.8

I don't know how to give the build info for the Logos I have, just let me know how to pull that info and I'll do that.

I have attached 2 screen shots of what is happening as well.

Posts 28022
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:59 AM

Tim - 

Is there a reason you are trying to use the old version of Logos (Libronix)? Can I suggest you download and try Logos 4?

You can download Logos 4 by Clicking Here

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 10:46 AM

I see.  That does make a difference.  Libronix on Mac is not compatible with versions of Safari 5.0.6 or higher.  Has that, perhaps, been updated recently?  

Generally on a Mac, you can find version information by going to the application's main menu (directly to to the right of the apple in the upper left-hand corner when that application is your active program) which is 'Libronix DLS' for the program in your screen shot or 'Safari' for the web browser in question.  Then go to 'About...' which should be the first item in that menu.  The version information should be somewhere in the box that pops up.

I've currently got Safari 5.1 on my Mac here, for example. 

If you've also got a later version of Safari on your machine, the best option is to install and use Logos 4 (again, deference to my MVP colleague who has already suggested this.)  No further development is being done on Libronix for Mac (or for Windows, for that matter,) plus! Logos 4 on Mac is full of features that aren't a part of Libronix on the Mac side.  And you've already found your way to the forum which is full of people who can help you make the transition.  

You can find some helpful support articles and videos for Logos 4 on our website: http://www.logos.com/support/mac  And you can always call Logos Customer Support for assistance with installation at 1-800-875-6467 during their office hours, Monday to Friday, 6am to 5pm Pacific Time.

Posts 3
Tim Ferguson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 11:02 AM

No reason, this is just the version I have always had and so far I had not experienced any issues.  I'll download Logos 4 and see if that addresses the problems.

Thanks for the suggestion

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:37 PM

Tim Ferguson:
No reason, this is just the version I have always had and so far I had not experienced any issues.  I'll download Logos 4 and see if that addresses the problems.

Many resources were changed for Logos 4, may want to consider a minimal crossgrade =>http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade or base package upgrade => http://www.logos.com/upgrade (for several years, Logos has had base package discounts in December, not know if history will repeat).

Wiki has Getting Started with Logos page; Logos 4 Mac has many more features than older Logos for Mac v1 (which also has blank screens after Safari 5 installed, essentially became an e-Book reader).

Wiki page => Logos 4 Mac has a screenshot showing parts of John 1:1-18 Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide plus much more.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3
Grant Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 11:11 AM

I have experienced the exact same problem.  Thanks for the explanation and info on the Minimal Crossgrade.  I am considering doing that to resolved the issue.  However, do you know if I will still be able to use my old resources with the Corssgrade Engine?

Thanks for your help and the good info!

- Grant

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 11:25 AM

Grant Campbell:
I have experienced the exact same problem.  Thanks for the explanation and info on the Minimal Crossgrade.  I am considering doing that to resolved the issue.  However, do you know if I will still be able to use my old resources with the Corssgrade Engine?

Thanks for your help and the good info!

- Grant

All of your old books will continue to work in Logos 4.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 8 2011 6:56 PM

Logos 4 Mac software is free; can peacefully coexist with Logos for Mac v1.  In fact, Logos 4 Mac automatically scans and copies resources from Logos for Mac v 1 into your Logos 4 folder then downloads resources updated for Logos 4.  Once Logos 4 is working on Mac, can delete older Logos for Mac v1 => http://www.macbiblesoftware.com/support/articles/1002/

Logos 4 changed reverse interlinear bible resource format from Libronix 3; hence minimal crossgrade link =>http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade that also includes new Logos 4 resources that were not available in Logos for Mac v1.

Wiki Mac Troubleshooting => Update Error steps can be used to manually install Logos 4 Mac application (followed by resource copying, downloading, and indexing).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS