Question concerning Galatians 6:1

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 102
jtondee | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 5 2011 10:00 AM

I have been studying the phrase Ἀδελφοί, ἐὰν καὶ προληφθῇ ἄνθρωπος ἔν τινι παραπτώματι,  (. The New Testament in Greek (Scrivener 1881) (Ga 6:1).) from Galatians 6.1 and see that there are several ideas concerning the interpretation of the two words which are in bold.  KJV states the phrase as "overtaken in a fault" it has also been translated as caught in a transgression.  

I am in the very early process of learning Greek and at this point i rely heavily on lexicon's and dictionaries to aid in my understanding of the word's, so I was looking for any added info from those who have a better understanding and grasp of these Greek language.

I was really interested how others view the fault, offense, stumble, slip, error or transgression.  If it is willful, deliberate and continuous sin or more  of a being overtaken in temptation and sinning. Or in other words the relationship between προληφθῇ and παραπτώματι

I lean personally to more of the second view, seeing that in Galatians 5 there is so much emphasis in walking in the Spirit.  The view of walking in the Spirit will keep us from fulfilling the lust of the Flesh. Yet Paul knows that we are all sinners and knows that even if we walk in the Spirit there is opportunity for us to stumble, and give in to the persuasive power of temptation, and commit an offense contrary to the way we walked.

Greater than this I recognize that contextually, Paul is dealing with the legalism and the legalist, and how they take a harsh, self righteous attitude concerning the sin of others whether it be deliberate or stumble.

I am really enjoying studying this passage (chapter 5-6)  the dynamic between legalism, lawlessness, and liberty or in simpler terms the law, the flesh, and the Spirit. I was interested, though i know there will likely be many opinions, on how fellow students of the Word of God viewed this passage.

I am thankful for the tools the Lord has provided us in Logos 4 to enhance our study of His marvelous Word!

Posts 1672
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:29 PM

What did your lexicons say? Do you have Louw/Nida?
If so they suggest this domain in this context:

προλαμβάνωa: to learn something by surprise—‘to detect, to surprise, to catch, to be discovered.’ ἐὰν καὶ προλημφθῇ ἄνθρωπος ἔν τινι παραπτώματι ‘if someone is caught in any kind of wrongdoing’ Ga 6:1. It is possible that προλαμβάνω in Ga 6:1 refers to actual seizing or arresting, but it seems more likely to refer to the fact that someone becomes aware of wrongdoing, and therefore the wrongdoer is surprised by being detected or discovered. It is, of course, also possible to render προλαμβάνω in Ga 6:1 as ‘to be involved in.’ Compare Domain 90K.

(The Logos guidelines ask us not to discuss theology in these forums, but we can suggest resources to help you figure it out.)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 7:18 PM

jtondee:
I have been studying the phrase Ἀδελφοί, ἐὰν καὶ προληφθῇ ἄνθρωπος ἔν τινι παραπτώματι,  (. The New Testament in Greek (Scrivener 1881) (Ga 6:1).) from Galatians 6.1 and see that there are several ideas concerning the interpretation of the two words which are in bold.  KJV states the phrase as "overtaken in a fault" it has also been translated as caught in a transgression.  

It seems to me that in this instance the AV has it correct.  It is an example of case law as opposed to the apodeictic law ("You shall not").  It is what is known as a future (more probable) condition [which really says nothing regarding its probability].  "If a man is discovered in a transgression …" -- then comes the conclusion to be drawn from this "you who are spiritual are to restore …"  What is stressed is the returning of the erring brother to a proper course of action.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 102
jtondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 7:32 PM

Hey thanks for the reply, I do have LN and did read that definition. I was trying to get a better grasp on the two words contained in that passage and how they related together. Forgive me, as I wasn't trying to get into a theological debate. I will gladly edit the previous post out if it is felt it is not consistent with the forum guidelines! My grandmother taught me a verse a long time ago that helps me keep things in check from psalms 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law and nothing shall offend them. So it's no problem to edit it out.

Posts 102
jtondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 7:36 PM

Thanks George,that was the conclusion I had come To, I don't have a good handle on things like future probable condition, so that info was greatly appreciated. Thanks again .

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 7:59 PM

jtondee:

Thanks George,that was the conclusion I had come To, I don't have a good handle on things like future probable condition, so that info was greatly appreciated. Thanks again .

Cf other texts with the pattern lemma:ἐάν BEFORE 5 WORDS @V??S BEFORE 10 WORDS @V??I and you will find that what happens is that an hypothetical situation is posited and then the result or course of action [imperative] is set forth.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1672
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 2:35 AM

jtondee:
Forgive me, as I wasn't trying to get into a theological debate.

Your question was completely appropriate: no edit needed IMHO. (The danger was mine, in replying.)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS