Textual Criticism resources by Eta Linnemann

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:59 AM

When I was in seminary, I was struck by both the potential value of textual criticism as well as the fact that the field is almost entirely comprised of theological liberals (used denotative, not in a slamming, negative sense).

It was intriguing to come across Eta Linnemann in my studies in that she is a top-tier academic in the field (Rudolf Bultmann’s top student and heir apparent)...one that could grapple with the issues and complexities of the discipline with ease and skill...and that she eventually took a decidedly conservative (again, denotatively) stance with regard to textual criticism.

When it comes to TC, Logos is replete with resources from the more liberal persuasion of form, source, and redaction criticism. From a purely scholarly, point-counterpoint standpoint, someone like Linnemann would be an invaluable addition to Logos.

If you agree with my assessment of her writings' value (not with what may be my view of TC), please post below and help me gain support for my suggestion.

Books by Eta Linnemann

Title: Parables of Jesus: Introduction and Exposition (1964)

Publisher: SPCK Publishing

Title: Is There a Synoptic Problem?: Rethinking the Literary Dependence of the First Three Gospels [Trans. Robert W. Yarbrough] (1992)

Publisher: Baker Pub Group

Title: Historical Criticism of the Bible: Methodology or Ideology: Reflections of a Bultmannian Turned Evangelical [Trans. Robert W. Yarbrough] (2001)

Publisher: Kregel Academic & Professional

Title: Biblical Criticism on Trial: How Scientific Is Scientific Theology? [Trans. Robert W. Yarbrough] (2001)

Publisher: Kregel Academic & Professional

Referenced at topics.logos.com: http://topics.logos.com/Eta_Linnemann

Searching my library for Linnemann results in 1,232 results in 263 articles in 159 resources. (See: 3157.Basic Search for Eta Linnemann.pdf)

Posts 72
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 12:51 PM

Yes She's fantastic, and always challenges you to think things through.  I'm always quoting Historical Criticism of the Bible...

'People confuse what is with what should be'

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 1:03 PM

Smithereens:
If you agree with my assessment of her writings' value (not with what may be my view of TC), please post below and help me gain support for my suggestion.

I agree with the suggestion. I don't think gaining support makes a difference to Logos (publisher issues might be more a factor), but if it does, count me in.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 3:18 PM

I would be more than interested Yes

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 27 2014 2:16 AM

Smithereens:

When I was in seminary, I was struck by both the potential value of textual criticism as well as the fact that the field is almost entirely comprised of theological liberals (used denotative, not in a slamming, negative sense).

It was intriguing to come across Eta Linnemann in my studies in that she is a top-tier academic in the field (Rudolf Bultmann’s top student and heir apparent)...one that could grapple with the issues and complexities of the discipline with ease and skill...and that she eventually took a decidedly conservative (again, denotatively) stance with regard to textual criticism.

When it comes to TC, Logos is replete with resources from the more liberal persuasion of form, source, and redaction criticism. From a purely scholarly, point-counterpoint standpoint, someone like Linnemann would be an invaluable addition to Logos.

+1

Even though it's some years later, I support your suggestion!

By the way, another translation by Robert Yarbrough (published by Crossway) lacking in Logos is Gerhard Maier's "Biblical Hermeneutics" I think in the late 20th century it long held the position of the only respectable German-language textbook on hermeneutics from a concervative point of view.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 27 2014 2:55 PM

I read Is There a Synoptic Problem? years ago and would recommend it as a Logos resource. (It's published by Baker, one of the publishers that work very closely with Logos.)

Posts 153
M.Megel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 27 2014 10:47 PM

I would love to see this works in Logos in german language. English would be ok.

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 27 2014 11:34 PM

Yes Bestimmt!

z.B. Gibt es ein synoptisches Problem? (5. edition)  (English only 3. edition. Not sure what the difference is. I thought the last edition before her passing was 4.)

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 7 2014 6:47 PM

Lee:

I read Is There a Synoptic Problem? years ago and would recommend it as a Logos resource. (It's published by Baker, one of the publishers that work very closely with Logos.)

Looking further from this point of view, looks like Logos has works by SPCK and Kregel as well....so what say you, Logos? Some works by Ms. Linnemann?  And when you get around to it, please let me know when her titles hit CP or Pre-pub...I'm too busy flying to actively track those feeds but would be very sad to have missed out. Smile

Posts 250
Edwin Sully PAYET | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 3:37 AM

YesYes

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS