Personal Book Builder

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 32
Chuck Alford | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:54 PM

I just downloaded the newest version of Logos (4.3). Has anyone started working on the PBB now that it has been added? I thought it was going to be a purchased add-on. I hope it stays free. I would buy the paid version of it too if it works great.

Post your experience with PBB for Mac OS 10.7 Lion or Snow Leopard here please.

Anyone hear when the sermon file add-on will be out?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:22 PM

Chuck A:
Has anyone started working on the PBB now that it has been added?

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books

Mac Beta and PC Beta have many forum discussions about PBB usage (and bugs).

Files forum includes Commentary Example for PB

Chuck A:
I hope it stays free.

PBB is free => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/36208/271595.aspx#271595 (Logos announcement in PC Beta forum about PBB pricing); reaffirmed in forum discussion => PB vs. Sermon File Addin (likewise looking forward to web site supplement for sermon files) 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 343

Will Personal Book Builder be able to import PDF files in the future?

Jason Saling

Posts 22736
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 12:26 AM

Jason Saling:

From all the indications we have seen this is very unlikely.

Posts 28292
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 3:53 AM

Jason Saling:

Doubtful. PDF (Portable Document File) is designed to ensure that it looks the same across a variety of platforms (i.e. computer to computer | mac to pc, etc). A word document, however, is designed to manipulate text. Since the PBB needs access to the text (not just an image of the text), PDF's won't work. Sorry! Sad

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 34
John Fallahee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 5:56 AM

I thought you would like to know I am doing FREE training on the Personal Book Builder.
Go from beginner to expert by attending the Personal Book Builder Webinar for FREE!

When: Saturday, August 13, 12 PM - 2 PM (Eastern Time)
Click Here to sign up:

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/386489094

Posts 28292
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 6:24 AM

John - 

Your link is broken or inactive.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 109
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:12 AM

Has anyone heard whether or not we will be able to import the  PBB files from Logos 3? Sure  hope that will  be a possibility since there are hundred's available there.

Posts 34
John Fallahee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:12 AM

I think I fixed it...weird!

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/386489094

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:17 AM

James H. Schafer:

Has anyone heard whether or not we will be able to import the  PBB files from Logos 3? Sure  hope that will  be a possibility since there are hundred's available there.

Not directly, the source files will need to be saved as docx and have the tagging updated if needed.

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:19 AM

James H. Schafer:

Given the enhance features implemented in v4 this would be a disaster and we would be griping very quickly... however, should the origial HTML source used to compile be available, then it should be relatively easy to convert for v4

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:19 AM

James H. Schafer:

Given the enhance features implemented in v4 this would be a disaster and we would be griping very quickly... however, should the origial HTML source used to compile be available, then it should be relatively easy to convert for v4

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:46 AM

Is there any chance that PBB will someday support some other input format - ODF perhaps or even .doc??Since I don't use word PBB is worthless to me.

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:48 AM

I don't know for sure but I have heard that Libreoffice can write .docx, maybe worth a look?

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 9:25 AM

I think it might be possible to access the text in a PDF, depending on how it was encoded. The ability to build a book based on a PDF file would be very helpful for those of us who use LaTeX to write and typeset our academic documents. Alternatively, being able to either compile a book from DVI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_independent_file_format) or TEX documents directly would also work.

Alternatively, being able to encode a book from an HTML file might also work since you can typeset a TeX document to HTML.

Is anyone else using Logos also use LaTeX? It's typically used by philosophers/philosophers of religion and mathematicians since it has rich support for symbols and formulas. I started using it for philosophy of religion over at Talbot, but found it equally useful for writing my theology and general purpose papers as well.

Posts 109
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 10:17 AM

I discovered that I can open a PBB in LDLS3, copy it and then paste into Word, save the file and then Personal Books will open the file and creates the resource in 4.3. Pleasantly surprised that the Scripture links are active and work when moused over.

The only problem with this is it requires a lot of steps. Hopefully, someone will write a file that will do this automatically, especially since there are hundreds of PBB available.

Posts 109
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 10:40 AM

Well, FWIW, although the Scripture links work well, the books are not searchable at this point. Not sure what it will take to make them searchable, someone with more experience will  have to chime in here.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 9:01 PM

J.P.:
Alternatively, being able to encode a book from an HTML file might also work since you can typeset a TeX document to HTML.

Option: open HTML, then save as docx (can add desired PBB tagging).

By the way, noticed several web sites offer PDF to DOCX conversion.

Observation: since other formats can be converted to docx, personally prefer Logos support one format for PBB compilation and keep improving Logos 4 Mac feature parity with faster performance (e.g. especially menu appearance on screen) plus adding new Logos features.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 20
Andrew Mackie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 10:04 PM

There are many resources that authors make freely available as PDFs - books, sermon notes, etc. - PBB should support PDFs so that we can easily import them.

As a workaround, Adobe Reader you can capture the text and you can copy it into a Word document, but this is a hassle to do for many PDFs.

Please support PDF for PBB!

Posts 20
Andrew Mackie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 10 2011 10:12 PM

Actually, I'd go further than this - Logos, why don't you make Logos 4 a PDF reader?

Let users point Logos to a directory that contains PDFs that they'd like to access via Logos and import them all automatically (without need to give each of them title and author information). This will allow us a powerful environment in which we can search for a bible passage in Logos, say, and see *all* of the PDFs that refer to that passage. If we then open one of those PDFs within Logos, *then* we can mark it by title and author so it appears as a PBB and in the library.

This will give us more power, greater use of the resources that we already own and minimize the amount of effort to use Logos as our central repository of biblical content (which is what Logos wants, right?).

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS