Question about new Perseus PrePub resources

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 11:37 AM

Does anyone know how big these resources are? Are they in megabits, or the gigabits range. It would be nice to have large collections, like this, to have an estimate for how much room they need to have on your computer.

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 11:48 AM

From another thread:

Bradley Grainger:

I checked the latest in-development version of the Perseus Classics collection (~1,100 resources) and it was 550MB.

I don't have final figures for any of the resources, but I would guess 1-2GB for all 3000 resources (in the initial download), then probably another 1-2GB to index them.

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 1:57 AM

I'm concerned that this massive collection will bog down and clutter up my "entire library" searches. I would like to grab this deal but I really don't want to have to deal with a bunch of non-biblical based resources clogging up my already large library.

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:54 AM

I agree but I rationalised it by thinking that I can order the ones I'm interested in and have a look at how useful they are. If they turn out to be little use I can always "hide" them, which removes them from my PC. My assumption is that they then won't be indexed or affect searches. And if I want them again at some point in the future I just unhide and they come back again.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 7:16 AM

Joshua Garcia:
I'm concerned that this massive collection will bog down and clutter up my "entire library" searches.

Hi Joshua

You could set up a Collection that excludes the Perseus Resources and use that for searches.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 12:30 PM

Joshua Garcia:
I'm concerned that this massive collection will bog down and clutter up my "entire library" searches.

I'm concerned about this as well not because I ever want to search my entire library but because of being unable to search "My Content" except with an entire library search ... unless I missed an update.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 12:33 PM

BriM:
And if I want them again at some point in the future I just unhide and they come back again.

Which would make it nice if we could hide/unhide collections rather than just individual books ... unless I missed an update.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:24 PM

BriM:

I agree but I rationalised it by thinking that I can order the ones I'm interested in and have a look at how useful they are. If they turn out to be little use I can always "hide" them, which removes them from my PC. My assumption is that they then won't be indexed or affect searches. And if I want them again at some point in the future I just unhide and they come back again.

As for hiding books, I am assuming that it has to be done one book at a time. I'm not sure if I want to sit down for an a few hours just to hide a few thousand books.

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:41 PM

ok lets rewind a bit, and not get too stressed...

Logos 3 full search 3000 resources >50secs

same Logos 4 full search 3000 resources < 6 secs

even adding the perseus will still mean search times substantially  faster than Logos 3 was , yes the searchin will be slower but not by much. I would still expect <10secs and I have ordered the lot.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:44 PM

Joshua Garcia:

I'm concerned that this massive collection will bog down and clutter up my "entire library" searches. I would like to grab this deal but I really don't want to have to deal with a bunch of non-biblical based resources clogging up my already large library.

Since it takes maybe 1 sec to search my entire library, the addition of Perseus might make it 2 sec.  I'm not overly concerned about that.  I can take a drink of coffee while it's searching.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 29
RMC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 4:43 PM

I wonder if Logos would be able to include an "exclude from search" option for our resources - something so that the resources could still be included in the full library and not hidden, but not something that is searched on a regular basis.  My thought is similar to what I do with my itunes - there's a "skip when shuffing" option - so I can keep a variety of music on my ipod, but I can still shuffle through "all" my songs (and skip, for example, the kids' music, and my Salvation Army band music which I love but need to be in the mood for Smile ).

This way we could still search our "entire" library, including personal content, and not search through the Perseus content (which for me is 3 times the size of my entire current library), while still keeping the Perseus content available to look at, perhaps in its own collection so we have the option to search it if we want.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 4:51 PM

RMC:

I wonder if Logos would be able to include an "exclude from search" option for our resources - something so that the resources could still be included in the full library and not hidden, but not something that is searched on a regular basis.  My thought is similar to what I do with my itunes - there's a "skip when shuffing" option - so I can keep a variety of music on my ipod, but I can still shuffle through "all" my songs (and skip, for example, the kids' music, and my Salvation Army band music which I love but need to be in the mood for Smile ).

This way we could still search our "entire" library, including personal content, and not search through the Perseus content (which for me is 3 times the size of my entire current library), while still keeping the Perseus content available to look at, perhaps in its own collection so we have the option to search it if we want.

Of course that is possible, but MJ's concern was that you only get "My Content" (not yours, mine) if you search the entire library.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 4:59 PM

One more point.  I seem to recall that Bob said it would search the entire library faster than only a portion so I don't know how much speed you would gain -- if any.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 5:20 PM

I project on my desktop doing a search of "Melchizedek" over 10,000 resources, finding a hit in 20% of the resources, with 3.5 articles per resource and 25 results per resource will take under 2 seconds. Full search with the Perseus resources on a computer that is powered for Logos 4 already will not have a problem at all.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 5:43 PM

Searching the entire library will mean a lot more hits to wade through, won't it? Is that what the concern is?

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 5:45 PM

RMC:
I wonder if Logos would be able to include an "exclude from search" option for our resources

Looking at Logos Perseus Collections => http://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Perseus noticed many resources are not English.

Possibility: create a collection "Library - English" with rule Language:English (to exclude non English Perseus resources).

Wonder about creating Perseus collection(s) that mirror Logos collection groupings (using subject, series, ...).  Then create a Library collection that excludes Perseus collections (possible start with "Library - English" collection in "+" plus these resources with Perseus collections in "-" minus these resources list).

Once collections created, have option to choose collection for searching.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 10 2011 6:06 PM

In library filters or collections I believe you will just be able to exclude the entire Perseus library through the keyword 'Perseus'. It should be straightforward to exclude it from collections and the like.

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 10:28 AM

In other discussions there is mention of a 'first come first served' talk, meaning that Pereus will go off the site for awile, and be downloaded in packets, to the first then to the last to order it. Does anyone know how that will work?

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 7:24 AM

Bill Moore:

Searching the entire library will mean a lot more hits to wade through, won't it? Is that what the concern is?

Yes, that is my concern.

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 15 2011 12:59 PM

Bill Moore:

That's my concern. I literally never want a search of my whole library. If I want to see "My Content" it is a two step process:

1. Run a full library search to get the "My Content" section of results
  2. In another pane, run the search on my resources that I really want which rarely exceeds a 20 book block
  3. Flip back and forth between the two panes, get annoyed that Logos set the search up this way,congratulate myself on being a better analyst than that, have the cat step on the keyboard or play with the mouse making me lose position in one of the panes, make myself a cup of soothing tea so the cat doesn't suffer from my annoyance with the search, remind myself its only software, sit down and spend 5 minutes getting things back to where they were, move on with life thanking God that I didn't become smug at my super analytic skills or lose sight of the bigger things in life i.e. Christ in anger. Realize that my search term could be improved upon and start the cycle all over again.

Step 3 is optional.Wink

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS