Thank You Logos for Perseus!

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 6:21 PM

Thank you for so many resources. Your generosity and hard work will certainly help in our study of the Word. God bless you!

Chuck

Posts 38
Bill Fitch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 6:36 PM

Asante sana, Logos!

Posts 1642
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 13 2011 7:16 PM

Keith Larson:
Perhaps someone as already done this, but I want to start a thread thanking Logos for this FREE gift! 

Agreed! This really adds value: it will make it easier to convince some of my colleagues to consider jumping into Logos.

Posts 146
Sam Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2011 4:57 AM

I too want to add my thanks to Logos for this terrific gift. I wonder if users are aware of the potential of the the Classics collection and the Duke Papyrus database to supercharge the effectiveness of BDAG as a research tool. Logos has already powerfully value-added to their implementation of BDAG with hotlinks to to Greek and English versions of Josephus, Philo, ECF, LXX and pseudepigrapha, but if it BDAG gets tagged for these new resources, Wow! - what a powerhouse for study of the Greek of the New Testament. That's another reason to get hold of BDAG if you have the skills in Greek to benefit from it.

Go Logos!

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2011 5:59 AM

I agree with the ones who've posted thus far!

Thank you very much, Logos!!

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 487
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2011 6:10 AM

Thanks Logos from me too - love the Classics Collection.

Posts 97
Carey G. Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2011 6:56 AM

Yes

if we meet and you forget me,

you have lost nothing.

But if you meet Jesus and forget Him,

you have lost everything.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2011 7:09 AM

I would also like to add my thanks.  As someone who has tried to use the Perseus site for Word Study but been frustrated by its usability, this will turbocharge my efforts, especially when BDAG is tagged for the Perseus resources.  It will also help a great deal with textual work in the NT.  Many thanks. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 29
RMC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 14 2011 1:43 PM

Adding my thanks too. I ordered everything - with two small children, and living in civil-war-history-rich Fredericksburg, VA, there's no doubt that this will come in handy at some point in the next 20 years of their education!  I've also posted this on my facebook page to give a heads up to my many homeschooling friends across the country.  To my surprise, the first "like" I got was a non-Christian friend. . . here's hoping it will end up being an outreach tool! 

Psalm 24:1

Posts 609
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 8:40 AM

One more hearty "Thank you very much, Logos!" This one is from one with a Greek minor who never imagined in his wildest dreams that he could afford a set of classics linked to BDAG. And lemmatized, at that, to help a septuagenarian's fading memory.Big Smile

Posts 1850
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 8:59 AM

I would like to add, a hearty "thank you" for this collection as well. I am looking forward to many good evenings of reading and study.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:26 AM

DUDES: this is SUPERFANTASTIC!!!!  Thank you!!!!!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 112
Tim Finlay | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 11:42 AM

I also want to add one HUGE vote of thanks to Logos for Perseus

Posts 23
Tommy Johnston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 12:55 PM

Thank you Logos!!

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 12:58 PM

Adding my appreciation and thanks to those already listed.  I thank you! My library thanks you!  My wife thanks you (because I don't have to explain any charges and because adding 3,126 physical books to my library would be a gargantuan non-starter)!!  This is outstanding!

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 3:47 PM

MJD:
How do you use the resource(s) Jonathan?

I mainly use them in diachronic and synchronic word studies of words used in the New Testament, to see how their usage has developed over time (if at all), and to assess their semantic range. These resources are also particularly useful for searching for phrases, which you can't look up conveniently in a lexicon. They're also a very useful resource for studying socio-religious and legal issues in classical history; I've found the marriage contracts in the papyri of particular interest for what they tell us about the socio-legal status of women, for example.

As another example, I discovered a papyrus describing a religious association in the 1st century BC which provides useful information on the socio-cultural background of the first century churches.

This is the introduction to the rules of the association.

‘For good fortune! For health and common salvation and the finest reputation the ordinances given to Dionysius in his sleep were written up giving access into his house to men and women, free people and slaves.’

Dittenberger, ‘Sylloge Inscriptionum Graecarum’, volume 3, pp. 113-114 (3rd ed., 1920).

There's a parallel here with Galatians 3:27 and Colossians 3:11; see Macdonald, ‘Slavery, Sexuality and House Churches: A Reassessment of Colossians 3.18–4.1 in Light of New Research on the Roman Family’, New Testament Studies (53), p. 99 (2007), for discussion.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS