PBB - Crash on Large .docx file

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29808
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 15 2011 6:02 PM

I was wondering how large some of your PBB files are. I am having a crash when trying to build one particular one, which is very large (572 pages). It is a book no longer in print, which the organization has put on their website. I transferred it from .PDF to .DOCX and spent some time reformatting it. Every time I try to build the book, Logos crashes. Any thoughts?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29808
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:02 AM

Thanks to advice from Big SmileKeep Smiling For Jesus!Big Smile I was able to isolate a troublesome section in the book. I broke the book down into its own internal sections as independent .docx files. It turned out to be something in the formatting in the very last appendix. To fix the problem, I "cleared all formatting" and reworked it. Worked like a charm.

The Personal Book is now a unified book, based upon eight .docx files.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:27 AM

Can you scroll continuously across sections made from the separate docx files?

Bohuslav

Posts 25223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:34 AM

Hi Bohusalv

I have a personal book made up of 10 .docx files and can scroll continuously across sections without any problem.

I can't see any difference in how the book behaves whether it is made up of one or many source files

Graham

Posts 29808
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:53 AM

Bohuslav - 

I was worried about that too, but it is seamless. You do have to be careful to make sure you have the .docx files listed in the right order, but they are drag and drop. It's also important to make sure you use the same heading hierarchy, or your TOC won't look like you want. 

I have a considerable formatting job in front of me, but the foundation has been laid. To simplify things, I have created my own PBB styles. I do a "select all" and make all the text the way I want the body text to be. This allows me to only have to focus on adding paragraph breaks and styles (headings, quotes, etc.).

Posts 69
Ernesto Ochoa | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 8:50 AM

Hi, alabama24.

Can you share your PBB style file? I´m formatting my word documents but I have problems with TOC.

Your TOC it´s great !!!

Thanks.

Ernesto

Posts 29808
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 9:52 AM

Ernesto - 

There is nothing special about my styles, but I will attach it for you. I have some training in typography (enough to form opinions; not enough to make any money Smile), so I like to tweak things. On my own, I would never choose to use Word for a print document. On the one hand, it is not as easy as I would want. On the other hand, it does not give me the control I want. I prefer Pages (for simplicity) and InDesign (for control). With Logos PBB, I am glad that I have it though!

You should feel free to experiment on your own. I would suggest starting with a simple file (or even use mine). Fill it with gibberish just to see how it looks. 

The first screen shot below is my .docx file in Word 2011 (full screen mode). The second screenshot show the .docx file compiled in Logos. The typeface for the style is Helvetica. I didn't want to push my luck with fonts. Smile

1234.PBB-Styles.docx

Posts 29808
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 9:55 AM

You can also see that Logos changes the color of the headings. I am fairly certain that this is based upon the default Word styles. I do not know how to change it, but I am not concerned about it either.

Posts 69
Ernesto Ochoa | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 10:23 AM

Thanks to your screen shot I have understood what I have to do.
I was desperate. Since yesterday was trying to make a book. I saw your screen shot and I assumed the problem was with Word. I was not wrong. I do not know why but the styles were not working. I reinstalled Office and now it works.All perfect!

I also believe that the most important is that TOC is recognized by L4. For now, for me it is enough.

Thanks for the file and for your help.

Thank you again!!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS