Logos Discount for Packages going away??

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:48 PM

My Logos home page had something I have never seen before.  It stated the discounts/upgrades were going to go away on the packages. 

I have never seen this advertised like this before.  I personally don't need to upgrade but did anyone else see this message?

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:56 PM

Check out this web page:

http://www.logos.com/gold4upgrade?utm_source=logos4&utm_medium=homepage_message_round2&utm_content=more_textlink&utm_campaign=logos_4_upgrade

My guess is that they are not going away - but prices are going up.  Thus the discounted prices will similarly be adjusted.  Get your upgrades before the prices go up.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 3:38 AM

With regard to this ad on the Home Page, does the link I show in the following image work for anyone? I have tried it on two computers and nothing happens:

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 4:09 AM

The link did not work for me either.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 6:13 AM

I got the message, not knowing discounts were on offer.

And the link didn't work.

But the advertising did - I'm planning to upgrade to platinum.  They don't tell us how much time we have...

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 6:16 AM

If you follow the "MORE" link at the bottom of the article, it will take you to a page with additional information.  Still no deadline is given.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 11
Adam Navarrete | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 9:23 AM

Dominick,

Thanks for pointing this out. We have removed the "upgrade discounts" text link to avoid further confusion. Like Floyd mentions, the "More" link at the bottom will take you to the appropriate page, in addition to clicking the headline.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 9:55 AM

I did some sums on upgrade discount and worked out that my special personalised discount was about 10% less than the difference in price between the package I have now (Scholars) and the package to which I'm thinking of upgrading (Platinum).  I was rather disappointed, as I've ordered millions of prepubs, which they say they take into account.  I'm waiting to see if my sales rep can offer me a lower price - tho he must be sick of me not accepting his offers.  This time I intend to take it.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:06 AM

Platinum is a great pkg. I have really enjoyed having it.

Posts 887
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:45 AM

nicky crane:

I did some sums on upgrade discount and worked out that my special personalised discount was about 10% less than the difference in price between the package I have now (Scholars) and the package to which I'm thinking of upgrading (Platinum).  I was rather disappointed, as I've ordered millions of prepubs, which they say they take into account.  I'm waiting to see if my sales rep can offer me a lower price - tho he must be sick of me not accepting his offers.  This time I intend to take it.

I dunno Nicky... I took the time to compare my Silver Scholar's against the Platinum.... the vast majority of additional resources are original language tools that are of limited value to me (not classically trained in Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic/OtherEsotericLanguages/Latin .... I'm not saying that there isn't value in the upgrade, but I think I'd prefer to drop several hundred on hand-picked cc/pre-pubs at this point.

Anyone else have an opinion?

"I read dead people..."

Posts 56
AA7163 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:01 PM

For me the main differences were 

NIGTC commentaries (really good)

Pillar Commentaries (eceptional)

Opening up Commentaries (decent depending onwhat you are doing)

BDAG (not helpful to you)

A few other original language resources are helpful and a few random other books

I got an academic discount though, so weather the price difference for you is worth it or not for those items is up to you.  For me, it was worth it with BDAG alone and since I got the rest, it was a no-brainer to upgrade.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:11 PM

New American commentary -$500.

Classic commentaries on Greek NT  $200

Holman's NT commentary  -$150

All useful to me.  And lots of interesting stuff thrown in, 

e.g.

History of the Jewish P0eple  -    $180

History of the Oxford Movement  $125

And lots of commentaries I may or may not use.  When I'm really stuck I go through them all unless or until I find an answer to my questions.  Not very often, but it happens sometimes.

Sales rep did generously, and quickly, come up with a special price for a valued customer - always  worth getting in touch with a sales rep.  I deplore the necessity, but appreciate the sales rep's helpfulness.  

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:13 PM

PS hadn't noticed BDAG. And hadn't heard Pillar so strongly recommended.

Posts 887
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:32 PM

nicky crane:

PS hadn't noticed BDAG. And hadn't heard Pillar so strongly recommended.

Hum, I already have most of the resources that both of you mentioned (and even for a slacker like me, the BDAG is hugely useful, and I bought it on the cheap during the Forum Sale a couple months ago.  Gratz on the steep discount via sales rep!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:37 PM

Floyd Johnson:
My guess is that they are not going away - but prices are going up.  Thus the discounted prices will similarly be adjusted.  Get your upgrades before the prices go up.

If you are suggesting a a price increase in the regular selling price of the base packages (in addition to the loss of the current sales discount off the upgrade prices) I would say you are probably right. The whole line of Perseus resources requires Logos 4.3. Many Libronix users will upgrade to get that content. The newly released Personal Book Tool is another great selling point. I recall many saying they won't upgrade until they have that feature. That day has arrived! Logos 4.3 is worth a lot more than any previous version.  Why not upgrade your resource content along with the program features? Base package upgrades are the cheapest way to get resources. Word studies yield amazing results when you have the Scholar's package or higher. You don't even have to know Hebrew or Greek.

Logos 4 shipped around the first of November 2009. Because it was such a major (completely new) release of the software, generous discounts were offered on upgrade packages to woo the masses. Those discounts ended around the third week of January 2010. When Logos says a sale is ending soon, it is not a gimmick.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1649
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:01 PM

Floyd Johnson:

I am curious as to how much they might be going up. When Logos went to KF there were a lot very good resources taken away from some of the higher packages. I have Scholar's Silver. With a lot of those resources not being available in an upgrade to Gold it has drained a lot of my incentive to upgrade any further and as far as I know, nothing has been offered as a replacement for those removed.

I too, am getting to where I just add individual resources instead of upgrading. I know that the upgrades are still a good/better deal but I already have a ton of resources that I don't use or have no idea of how to use. This is probably because I am not a scholar using a scholar's package  Smile

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 646
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:20 PM

I'm at Scholar's Silver with some add ons, for me I think there is a point of overkill on resources. I have to be honest with myself as to whether the cost to upgrade to another package is worth the use of the resources I gain.

Right now for me, Gold and Platinum do not have enough resources that I would consistently use in comparison to what I already have in Silver to justify the cost. Now Portfolio on the other hand, has a good selection of Commentaries I'd like to have, but also a ton of stuff I have no interest in, so $2800 is way to costly for my budget.

Really like Silver a lot though!

Posts 3667
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 6:59 PM

Even with discount, Portfolio (next step up) was already out of reach, so I guess I'll never notice how much more out of reach it is without the discount. Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 7:20 PM

nicky crane:
And hadn't heard Pillar so strongly recommended.

See their rankings at Best Commentaries

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 7:53 PM

BillS:

Even with discount, Portfolio (next step up) was already out of reach, so I guess I'll never notice how much more out of reach it is without the discount. Big Smile

I really wish there were two more intermediate packages between Platinum and Portfolio. The present jump is so big and the Portfolio collection is, by Logos' own description, "not for everyone."   I would also like to see an all-encompassing package. Maybe call it the "I've died and gone to Heaven" package and throw everything in it. They would have to offer a 5 year payment plan on it. and annual update fees for all new volumes added.

Reminds me of Takayama beach just east of Sendai, Japan.. A group of missionaries had secured a 999 year lease of the beach and a couple dozen cabins right after WW2. It looked like a good deal until the earthquake and tsunami washed everything away this year. Crying

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS