Logos 4 PBB: What is the Best PDF to Word converter.

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 6:59 PM | Locked

tom collinge:

Dominick Sela:
WOW! This tool is great! I have tried a bunch of them
Same here.  I did have some minor editing to do, but this is the best tool that I have used so far.

Now if only Logos could keep the format of the Word document in the PBB, everything would be great.

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 7:04 PM | Locked

Brother Mark:

Dominick Sela:

WOW! This tool is great! I have tried a bunch of them, this one so far has taken 2 of my heavy graphics/text PDF files and converted them PERFECTLY!

Thanks for the tip!

Agree... this is pretty slick for a freebie!  Yes

Pretty nice, but not perfect.

It failed completely to find any text in one PDF that I tried (which had already partially been OCR'ed though some pages were graphics only as my scanning software failed on those pages).

Then on another PDF I tried, a very long one, it did a remarkable job with all the layout, but missed all small-caps formatting so all the small caps came out looking like all lower case. That would be a pain to go through and find and fix manually, especially in a long document (this one was 571 pages).

Nice UI, fast performance.

Brilliant marketing campaign! Like on Facebook and you get a code (unique to you, I presume) which you can use to download the freebie. Some kind of clever use of Facebook's API no doubt. I've never seen anything like that before. Nicely done!

Posts 425
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 10:14 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

Brother Mark:

Dominick Sela:

WOW! This tool is great! I have tried a bunch of them, this one so far has taken 2 of my heavy graphics/text PDF files and converted them PERFECTLY!

Thanks for the tip!

Agree... this is pretty slick for a freebie!  Yes

Pretty nice, but not perfect.

It failed completely to find any text in one PDF that I tried (which had already partially been OCR'ed though some pages were graphics only as my scanning software failed on those pages).

Then on another PDF I tried, a very long one, it did a remarkable job with all the layout, but missed all small-caps formatting so all the small caps came out looking like all lower case. That would be a pain to go through and find and fix manually, especially in a long document (this one was 571 pages).

Nice UI, fast performance.

Brilliant marketing campaign! Like on Facebook and you get a code (unique to you, I presume) which you can use to download the freebie. Some kind of clever use of Facebook's API no doubt. I've never seen anything like that before. Nicely done!

It is still the best one I've found so far, and I tested a few of them.

Posts 1518
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:16 AM | Locked

George:

Investintec has a promotion right now for a pdf to word converter if you "like" their product on facebook.

http://www.investintech.com/prod_a2d.htm

Thanks for this tip. I just downloaded it and gave it a try - it works great. Not perfect of course, but as good as any I've seen. Thanks!

Posts 1518
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:23 AM | Locked

Dominick Sela:

It does not appear to convert footnotes/endnotes to real Word footnotes/endnotes so they display as such in Logos; not too much of a surprise I guess.

If we could just get a Word macro to do this, we would be set! It takes a while to convert them by hand...

A week or two ago when I was developing the methodology I posted to export with footnotes to the Kindle I gave every PDF converter I could get my hands on a try to see if they would convert PDF footnotes correctly to Word. None of them worked, not even those who advertised they would do it. I tried with the trial versions of the really expensive ones as well, all the same.

Posts 116
Richard Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 12:15 AM | Locked

Today only, you can get a free (usual cost $50) PDF converter with OCR for when the PDF was saved as images rather than text. It is at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdf-ocr42/ I have not tried it, but someone might like to see how good it is.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 2:47 AM | Locked

Richard Wilson:

Today only, you can get a free (usual cost $50) PDF converter with OCR for when the PDF was saved as images rather than text.

I have reported this as spam because the site did not offer a free PDF converter today, yesterday, a couple of days ago, etc...

Posts 116
Richard Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:11 AM | Locked

Sorry about that, but it wasn't spam. It was really and truly there. But the giveaway site obviously found some problem after they had made it available, and took it off the site and put a different program there. It happens occasionally on the site. But as longer as I am not suffering from hallucinations, the program was there at the beginning of the day.

Posts 425
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:09 PM | Locked

Richard Wilson:

Sorry about that, but it wasn't spam. It was really and truly there. But the giveaway site obviously found some problem after they had made it available, and took it off the site and put a different program there. It happens occasionally on the site. But as longer as I am not suffering from hallucinations, the program was there at the beginning of the day.

Would have been nice to get a pdf to word converter with OCR.  Maybe some other time.

Posts 116
Richard Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 1:02 AM | Locked

The free PDF converter is back, today only, at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdf-ocr42/ Although looking at the comments, the OCR does not do a great job with PDF files that contain immagines of the text.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 7:37 AM | Locked

Richard Wilson:

The free PDF converter is back, today only, at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdf-ocr42/ Although looking at the comments, the OCR does not do a great job with PDF files that contain immagines of the text.

The current free version of PDF-XChange Viewer has OCR for PDFs (it won't open jpegs directly). I've been using the free version as a replacement for the Adobe reader. But it does not include any PDF to DOC or DOCX conversion - not even in the paid versions.

I just tried a file I made by "printing" a JPEG image to PDF (with the "Cute PDF" printer), OCR'd and then copy/pasted into MSWord. It works, though line breaks in the original are preserved (the paragraphs don't 'flow'). So it would need substantial editing, or a macro, to deal with that (there probably is a macro for that somewhere).

BTW, I like the 'typewriter' function that lets me fill in PDF forms. It's a little quirky, in that the files have to be saved before they'll print properly (?!), but it is nice for that purpose. And yes, files saved, after being filled in, can be read as such by the Acrobat reader. You can also draw (arrows, boxes, circles, etc.), highlight, and a few other things. The paid versions do more.

EDIT: Actually, the PDF-Tools version and the PDF XChange Pro (but not the "Viewer Pro") version can convert to RTF or DOC. But they cost $45 and $75 respectively.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 10:42 AM | Locked

Richard DeRuiter:

I just tried a file I made by "printing" a JPEG image to PDF (with the "Cute PDF" printer), OCR'd and then copy/pasted into MSWord. It works, though line breaks in the original are preserved (the paragraphs don't 'flow'). So it would need substantial editing, or a macro, to deal with that (there probably is a macro for that somewhere).

You may know this, but line breaks can be removed using the "Replace" function in MS Word as follows:

Select Edit, Replace

For the "Find what" box, click on "More"

Click "Special" and select "Paragraph Mark"

In the "Replace with" box, type one space (you won't be able to "see" it)

Click "Replace All"

Source(s):

MS Word Guru The problem with using "Replace All" is that you get one huge paragraph with no breaks at all. But using the "Replace" function can speed up editing.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2012 3:04 PM | Locked

Timothy Brown:

Richard DeRuiter:

You may know this, but line breaks can be removed using the "Replace" function in MS Word as follows:

Select Edit, Replace

For the "Find what" box, click on "More"

Click "Special" and select "Paragraph Mark"

In the "Replace with" box, type one space (you won't be able to "see" it)

Click "Replace All"

Source(s):

MS Word Guru The problem with using "Replace All" is that you get one huge paragraph with no breaks at all. But using the "Replace" function can speed up editing.

Thanks Timothy. I'm still learning Word, having migrated from WordPerfect (WP) last year sometime. I still miss a lot of things that were easier (to me) in WP, and my familiarity with it. If it weren't for unicode, and docx (for PB's) I'd probably still be using WP.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 14
Tesfaye Haile | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2012 5:08 PM | Locked

Greetings to you all. I wanted some one to hel me how I can use excel to build a personal Bibe using PBB. I am trying to build an Amharic Bible which I have documented in word from Genesis to Revelation. My problem is I do not have any clue how I can use excell tp incorporate the necessary codes and covert is back to word.dox file. I will appreciate you help. Thanks

Tesfaye Haile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2012 8:22 AM | Locked

Tesfaye Haile:
I am trying to build an Amharic Bible which I have documented in word from Genesis to Revelation.

Welcome to the forums. Sorry no one has answered you earlier. It's generally better to start a new thread if you have a specific problem like this.

I believe another user called Tes has already done that job. You can probably contact him via the e-mail at the bottom of his post here, or you can click on his name and leave a message at the bottom of his profile page.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3060
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2012 3:33 PM | Locked

fgh:

Tesfaye Haile:
I am trying to build an Amharic Bible which I have documented in word from Genesis to Revelation.

Welcome to the forums. Sorry no one has answered you earlier. It's generally better to start a new thread if you have a specific problem like this.

I believe another user called Tes has already done that job. You can probably contact him via the e-mail at the bottom of his post here, or you can click on his name and leave a message at the bottom of his profile page.

|

HI ,fgh it is my pleasure, no problem I am going to share him , what I have been helped to do.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 7:07 PM | Locked

Wonder what the new Word 2013 will do? It is supposed to be able to open pdf's. Perhaps it can do some magic...

Posts 80
Rusty Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:02 AM | Locked

I have been using a preview version of Word 2013 and have been pleased that it will open most pdf documents in a relatively short time (converts then opens as Word docx). Like many converters, tables, pictures and background images can throw it for a loop, but the accuracy is quite high (especially for a Microsoft product!) It sometimes can get bogged down on documents 8MB and up, but so do most of the other converters I have used (Nuance, Adobe, and many online converters).

It is the only converter I use now.

Posts 73
Pavel Škoda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2012 1:20 PM | Locked

On-line conversion from PDF to DOC: http://www.convertpdftoword.net/

Posts 29427
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:31 PM | Locked

Bill Cook:
Wonder what the new Word 2013 will do?

I've been finding it very satisfactory.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS