Wills and Your Library

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 19 2011 8:16 AM

Does Logos provide a way to register an organization or person who could be able to obtain your library (a way to transfer your library to another person) as part of a will or other such procedure?  It might be nice to specify something to that effect in the license agreement that if you signed up (optional), you could donate your library to:

1. A person by name of your choosing

2. An organization of your choosing

3. To gift it back to Logos who would in turn give it away to someone else as well.

This way, much like a regular library, you could pass the benefits of a library on to the next generation. Does anything like this exist? If not, could it be set up? Thanks!

Blessings,

Chris

Posts 902
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 8:27 AM

Our respective libraries represent a significant investment and valuable bequest.  Perhaps the easiest thing to do is include your Logos account information in your will, and allow your heir to transfer ownership, vs. a hard coded method from Logos.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 79
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 8:37 AM

Brother Mark,

Thanks for the idea. I was wondering if Logos was set up to handle that process?

Perhaps within your Logos profile, you could specify the name of the intended future recipient as a confirmation. If Logos did not want to become involved, the information provided would only be for confirmation to an existing and legal will (not in any way serving as one). When the person contacts Logos, they can already see that this was the intention of the original owner.

Blessings,

Chris

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:25 AM

Logos does provide for the transfer of one's Library... the info is in the EULA and I would assume you would need to have it in your Will along with instructions for contacting Logos to have the license transferred. There is a charge which is very reasonable.. currently $20.  Here is the section from the EULA...

TRANSFERS

At Logos' sole discretion you may transfer all your rights to use the Software, Content, and Documentation to another person or legal entity provided you transfer this Agreement, the Software, Content, and Documentation, including all copies, updates and prior versions to such person or entity and that you retain no copies, including copies stored on computer. There will be a processing fee charged on all transfers which is subject to change without notice. As of 6/17/09 the fee is equal to $20.00 per transfer.

And the link to the EULA is here... http://www.logos.com/ArticleViewer/440

Blessings,

Rob

Posts 79
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:45 AM

Thanks Will for pointing this out.

It sounds like a person would need to put together some details about what they want to have happen and then detail it in the will.

If the person is deceased though, they won't be filling out a transfer form, so I wonder how the two things get connected? Surviving family members or friends (or attorney) would have to take this one themselves to see that it was completed.

Could it be possible for Logos to set up something to streamline this process in advance?

Thanks for the thoughts and insights.

Posts 246
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 21 2011 12:43 AM

Robert C. Kuefner Jr.:
At Logos' sole discretion you may transfer all your rights to use the Software, Content, and Documentation to another person or legal entity provided you transfer this Agreement, the Software, Content, and Documentation, including all copies, updates and prior versions to such person or entity and that you retain no copies, including copies stored on computer. There will be a processing fee charged on all transfers which is subject to change without notice. As of 6/17/09 the fee is equal to $20.00 per transfer.

I noticed on the new academic beta that purchases under the academic program can't be transferred. This is presumably to stop people buying at academic prices and then selling them on to others. However, taken literlly, it would also mean that purchases under the academic program can't be left in a will either. Is this the intent? If the rule will be strictly applied on death, will there be a way of separating out those purchases that were made at public prices from those at academic ones?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 21 2011 4:28 AM

The question of wills has come up before. And in fact Logos has blogged about it in the past http://blog.logos.com/2005/12/heirloom_books/

BriM:
I noticed on the new academic beta that purchases under the academic program can't be transferred. This is presumably to stop people buying at academic prices and then selling them on to others. However, taken literlly, it would also mean that purchases under the academic program can't be left in a will either. Is this the intent? If the rule will be strictly applied on death, will there be a way of separating out those purchases that were made at public prices from those at academic ones?

I firmly believe that Logos won't make a distinction about academic books when doing an estate transfer. Keep in mind what has happened in the past that Logos is trying to prevent. From: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/87/677.aspx#677(back when the transfer policy was changed to what it currently is)

Bob Pritchett:
Some customers jumped onto the idea of re-selling their licenses as a way not just to transfer their software to a friend at graduation or retirement (which we'd traditionally done for free), but as a way to make some cash by re-selling the contents of their collections. They would look at the 250+ books in their $630 Scholar's Library -- worth $6,000+ in print -- and figure that if they could sell just a portion of those books at 1/2 their retail price they could keep the rest of Scholar's effectively for free. Or better yet, make a profit!

Read the whole post, it's worth your time. But this particular quote confirms what Logos is trying to stop by saying you can't transfer academic purchases. I think you'll find that the spirit in which Logos handles these thing  makes it inconceivable they would block the bequeath of licenses if were solely or partly academic.

If you want clarification, drop customer service a line, I'm sure they'll say the same thing.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS