Works of Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Page 4 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 165
David C. Rowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2011 6:38 PM

Yes to ALL of Bonhoeffer's works.

Posts 50
Eric Woernle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2011 6:18 PM

YesYes I thinks his Works would be a great addition!!!!!

Posts 34
St. Columcille | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:44 AM

I'd purchase this also.  His staying in Germany to pastor those who could not leave gives him a stronger ethos than Karl Barth (in my estimation) and his participation in the assissination attempt of Adolf Hitler posses some very interesting moral questions of when it is acceptable to rise up against your own government.    

Posts 726
Theolobias | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 8:23 AM

St. Columcille:
I'd purchase this also.  His staying in Germany to pastor those who could not leave gives him a stronger ethos than Karl Barth (in my estimation) and his participation in the assissination attempt of Adolf Hitler posses some very interesting moral questions of when it is acceptable to rise up against your own government.

Given that Barth and Bonhoeffer were in very unlike situations, I think there's just no point in racking one's brain over who might have had the 'stronger ethos'. It should be mentioned that Bonhoeffer's own initial wish was to stay in London, where he had been from October 1933 on. Amongst other things it was a letter from Karl Barth affecting Dietrich Bonhoeffer to return to Germany. Karl Barth himself wasn't a German (something a lot of people aren't aware of) but Swiss, nevertheless getting involved in the German Kirchenkampf which led to him having to leave Germany for Switzerland.

[Edit] Thus said, there's no doubt the uniqueness of Bonhoeffer's life leaves a very special note to reading his writings!

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.5GHz, 2.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon XPress 1250 | theolobias.de

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 10:46 AM

Theolobias:

St. Columcille:

Given that Barth and Bonhoeffer were in very unlike situations, I think there's just no point in racking one's brain over who might have had the 'stronger ethos'. It should be mentioned that Bonhoeffer's own initial wish was to stay in London, where he had been from October 1933 on. Amongst other things it was a letter from Karl Barth affecting Dietrich Bonhoeffer to return to Germany. Karl Barth himself wasn't a German (something a lot of people aren't aware of) but Swiss, nevertheless getting involved in the German Kirchenkampf which led to him having to leave Germany for Switzerland.

[Edit] Thus said, there's no doubt the uniqueness of Bonhoeffer's life leaves a very special note to reading his writings!

Karl Barth was also the main drafter of the Barmen Declaration which was the foundation of the Confessing Church movement. The Barmen Declaration took several points of faith of the pro-Nazi "German Christian" churches and refuted them. "More specifically, The Barmen Declaration rejects (i.) the subordination of the Church to the state (8.22-3) and (ii.) the subordination of the Word and Spirit to the Church. '8.27 We reject the false doctrine, as though the Church in human arrogance could place the Word and work of the Lord in the service of any arbitrarily chosen desires, purposes, and plans.' On the contrary, The Declaration proclaims that the Church 'is solely Christ's property, and that it lives and wants to live solely from his comfort and from his direction in the expectation of his appearance.' (8.17) Rejecting domestication of the Word in the Church, The Declaration points to the inalienable lordship of Jesus Christ by the Spirit and to the external character of church unity which 'can come only from the Word of God in faith through the Holy Spirit. Thus alone is the Church renewed' (8.01): it submits itself explicitly and radically to Holy Scripture as God's gracious Word." (Wikipedia)

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 8:03 AM

It would be awesome to have at least some Bonheoffer (Cost of Discipleship, Life Together, and Ethics) available in Logos in the "smart book" (tagged) form.

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 11:53 PM

As long as we are in the B's can't we also get some Martin Buber?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2011 5:19 PM

Mark Johnson:

It would be awesome to have at least some Bonheoffer (Cost of Discipleship, Life Together, and Ethics) available in Logos in the "smart book" (tagged) form.

Perhaps it’s a publisher issue, but I have noticed that Bonheoffer's books do not seem to be available on Kindle either. It would really be nice to have this worked out so books such as these can be available for those of us who rely almost exclusively on digital books due to work situations.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2011 5:28 PM

Bruce:

Mark Johnson:

Perhaps it’s a publisher issue, but I have noticed that Bonheoffer's books do not seem to be available on Kindle either. It would really be nice to have this worked out so books such as these can be available for those of us who rely almost exclusively on digital books due to work situations.

I looked at some of the print editions and have come to the conclusion that there may be a copyright issue.  I would imagine that the original edition (in German) is probably PD by now, but the translation may be another issue.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 23 2011 5:35 PM

George Somsel:
I looked at some of the print editions and have come to the conclusion that there may be a copyright issue.  I would imagine that the original edition (in German) is probably PD by now, but the translation may be another issue.

Of course, they could publish the German edition.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2011 6:09 AM

George Somsel:

I would imagine that the original edition (in German) is probably PD by now, but the translation may be another issue.

Of course, they could publish the German edition.  Big Smile

George,

especially we from Germany would love a German edition, but your imagination fails you with respect to the German copyright laws: works fall into the PD 70 years after the death of the author, which would be 2015 (Dec. 31) in case of Bonhoeffer. If the compilation and editing of letters, notes etc done by Eberhard Bethge after the war (for the Ethics and other prison writings) were to be interpreted as co-authoring, the situation is even worse.

On the other hand, those of his works that were published in the US shortly after the war (such as the Cost of Discipleship) would either be in the PD already or, if copyrights were renewed, are non-PD for publication plus 95 years which is even longer than 2015.

Thus it seems that a Logos edition of Bonhoeffer's works would require a contract with the current copyright holders, be it in English or German language (preferably both)

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 29 2011 8:21 AM

NewbieMick:
your imagination fails you with respect to the German copyright laws

My imagination with regard to the German copyright laws doesn't fail me since I can imagine virtually any situation.  I freely admit, however, my ignorance regarding German copyright.  Thank you for enlightening me.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 6:42 PM

Bruce:

Mark Johnson:

This has changed, Discipleship is on Kindle now http://www.amazon.com/Discipleship-Dbw-Vol-4-ebook/dp/B003BXRO3Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1320543686&sr=1-6

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:47 PM

Philana Crouch:
This has changed, Discipleship is on Kindle now

Yes Super. It might nowt be too long now.

"A  Bonfire  Bonhoeffer of the Vanities"

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:24 AM

I was sending AF some emails, and I brought up Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works.  This was the response that I received:

The Dietrich Bonhoeffer works are not available on Logos bible software and there are no current plans to publish them in that format, but that may change when the series is completed in a couple of years. 

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:28 AM

tom collinge:

I was sending AF some emails, and I brought up Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works.  This was the response that I received:

The Dietrich Bonhoeffer works are not available on Logos bible software and there are no current plans to publish them in that format, but that may change when the series is completed in a couple of years. 

Write back to them and tell them there are a ton of customers who would buy any of DB's works that are available so far if they came out in Logos format (which AF would presumably get a cut of). That's more money in their pocket now to help them finish publishing the whole series. Seems like a no brainer to me, but then again I'm not in the publishing industry.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:35 PM

Rosie Perera:

tom collinge:

Write back to them and tell them there are a ton of customers who would buy any of DB's works that are available so far if they came out in Logos format (which AF would presumably get a cut of). That's more money in their pocket now to help them finish publishing the whole series. Seems like a no brainer to me, but then again I'm not in the publishing industry.

Wonder about eBook possibilities for sale on Vyrso.com ? (that can be used in Logos)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6
Matthew Leighty | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 5:43 AM

I am reading Ethics right now and the depth of the content really makes me want this in Logos. I hope someone from Logos is reading this. Bonhoeffer is one of the most important theologians of the 20th century.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:14 AM

Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works (15 vols.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:42 PM

Woot! I jumped in before even needing to know what all is included. It's pricey, but I consider Bonhoeffer an essential in my library. I have four of these already in print but it will be good to have those fully searchable, and also to have the rest of the volumes.

Page 4 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS