Missing Resources

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:45 AM

At first i thought that Lpgos 4 had ported over all my putchased Logos 3 resources but a few moments ago, while attempting to set up a layout to duplicate a Greek study desktop in Logos 3, I found that my Logos 4 library does not include the ESV and NRSV Reverse Interlinears. There may be others missing but sometimes your unawate until you go to use them. Anyone else having a problem likes this? Is there a way to get them into Logos 4?

Thanks,

Michael

Posts 1609
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:56 AM

The functionality and display of Reverse interlinears has changed.  They are now features you can add to the main text instead of separate resources.  So, when you load up a Bible with reverse interlinears, you can click on "interlinear" to see the interlinear information for a selected word.  Logos has promised to bring back something more like the old display in a future release.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Orthodox Silver, Lutheran Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:35 PM

Kenneth,

Thank you once again for clearing up my confusion.

Michael

Posts 13
Peter Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:19 PM

One other feature of the Reverse Interlinears that I can't find.  Previously, you could set up a keylink from the RI to the Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek Lexicons. Now it only takes you to an English dictionary.  The Strongs # takes to you Strong's so why can a double click on the original language take you to a lexicon?  I appreciate that I can right click and get there, but double clicking on a word is faster.  Appreciate any help.

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:39 PM

PeterNathan:

One other feature of the Reverse Interlinears that I can't find.  Previously, you could set up a keylink from the RI to the Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek Lexicons. Now it only takes you to an English dictionary.  The Strongs # takes to you Strong's so why can a double click on the original language take you to a lexicon?  I appreciate that I can right click and get there, but double clicking on a word is faster.  Appreciate any help.

Peter,

Use the information window. Make sure you have a Greek lexicon prioritized in you library. Hover over the Greek word  in the MSS line and the lemma definition will appear in the info window - no clicking at all. In fact you'll get several - I get an English first then BDAG.Then if you click on the abbrev at the end of the entry it will open that resource to the entry in question.

Chris

Posts 9113
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:47 PM

RevMichaelLBurns:
I found that my Logos 4 library does not include the ESV and NRSV Reverse Interlinears

Michael,

Because of lots of requests Bob has promised to bring back a form of the 3.0 interlinear. He says it is likely not to be a seperate resource as in 3.0 but will come via an option to show a full panel of interlinear text instead of just one line.

I for one miss the 3.0 format and hope what they provide looks a lot like it. I'm not optimistic because of the way the current incarnation looks. Just more of the same would not be easy to read or scan.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13
Peter Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:54 PM

Thanks Chris.  Appreciate the input, but that is still a VERY limited option for a power user. The use of Strong's in the Info Window is a slap in the face given all the other original language resources.  And to access those, I still have to double click on one of the list resources -- BDAG -- in my case so that I can access the rest of my useful lexicons.  Seems to be a 'dumbing down' of the process.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:14 PM

If you click on the Library icon and open it up, in the upper right hand corner you will see "prioritize."  Here you can select the resource(s) that you want to pop up first in the information window.  You can customize it as you wish - very nice I must say!

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:31 AM

Peter...

whatever order your specific resoursces are prioritized in...that's (hopefully) the order in which you see them on a right click....

See the picture for more detail..you can see for me..BDAG is first up...then Louw-Nida...etc....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 13
Peter Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:52 AM

Thanks Thomas:  I had done that already, and have BDAG, DBL-Greek, TDNT, EDNT, ANLEX prioritized for Greek language.  Have not prioritized Strong's or Concise English Dictionary, but the Info panel always starts with COED, then BDAG, Strongs.  What am I missing?

Peter

Posts 13
Peter Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:20 AM

Thanks Robert, but your caveat (hopefully) doesn't hold.  Here are my current priorities.

4657.Logos4 screenshot1.doc

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:51 AM

OH...you mean in the information window.....

What is the COED? Is it an english dictionary?

It looks like you're hoving over and english word...

Try this:

Prioritize the COED BELOW the Greek lexicons...

Robert Pavich

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:57 AM

One thing that I noticed from shuffling my prioitized resources around is that in the ESV there is an english word being looked up. I hid all of my dictionaries and what comes up for me first is my bible dictionaries because they are keyed to english words.

Robert Pavich

Posts 13
Peter Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 8:23 AM

Thanks for your help Robert.  That changes nothing. COED still comes out top on the Info panel.  I get to the position I showed by clicking on the MSS line in the interlinear also brings up an English Dictionary -- Harpers in the left panel!  How do I get BDAG instead. Same result happens in Hebrew. I get an English dictionary rather than HAL and the same result in the Info Panel.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Peter

Posts 13
Peter Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 8:30 AM

BTW, it works fine when using BHS or NA27 etc. Opens to the appropriate lexicon and Info Panel has only original language resources. Appears to be a problem with RI's whereby the keylinkage takes you to English resources rather than Original language.  That was the great strength of the RI when introduced in L3.

Peter

Posts 1609
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 9:28 AM

I don't know for sure exactly how the information window picks what it does to display.  I found it funny that the training videos also said that you never know what it will display.  However, I think it has to do with how the resource is tagged.

An English Bible with a Reverse Interlinear has, of course, the English.  COED comes up for this.  Then, it sounds like you are in the New Testament, so you have a Greek layer under this.  I think you said it brought up BDAG - good choice.  However, it is also tagged with Strong's Numbers, and so if the system has time it will look for a resource that will display information on a Strong number.\

I know that it seems like wasted display space.  Of course, the nuclear option is always there - hide all copies of Strong's in your library so that you never see it.  Another option is to find something that does have Strong's links that you can stand.  I think some people use the Dictionary of Biblical Languages stuff for this, and put it on the bottom of your preferred list to catch those Strong's numbers.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Orthodox Silver, Lutheran Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 13
Peter Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 9:44 AM

Have made DBL - Greek second choice after BDAG.  Will try hiding Strong's to see what happens.  Can you alter the choice in the RI as to what displays.  We could choose display lines in the RI's in L3.  To do the same in L4 would be useful.

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS