We need a Wiki

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:46 AM

The excitement/confusion/frustration over Logos 4 has been quite impressive. A sale rep told me (as I was upgrading to Platinum) that Bob reads every one of our posts. Bob, you are a trooper if indeed to read everything, especially for this week! Thanks for when you dip into the conversation with a clarification or explanation.

As an early adopter (sometimes only at heart) I don't necessarily mind the extensive download/install/index time and learning curve of a new piece of software like Logos 4. It's fun trying to figure it out and if that fails reading or posting to the forum to get help. However, this forum is very inefficient; questions are asked multiple times and answered in a variety of ways many helpful and others not so helpful. Questions can get buried quickly and people with good answers to them might not notice the inquiry.

It seems to me that a user-edited wiki site would be a lot better. It could start with the text of the help file and we could expand it as people gain more experience with the new version. Also, when questions are asked on the forum replies could include links to wiki article(s); this would save some of the more active forum members a great deal of time. I image we would have many volunteers to help moderate the site on a volunteer basis.

Logos could dip into the wiki for the best articles to fold back into the help files, probably saving them money on technical writing.

With all this said, I don't know what the costs involved in setting up a wiki would be for Logos... heaven knows they are busy trying to keep up with the fervor incited this week by the release. If Google Wave were more mainstream it would be fairly easy for users to set up their own wiki-like set of articles and resources, however not enough people in the Logos community have access (I assume) for it to be helpful. Anyway I digress...

So, dear forum readers, am I alone in my desire for a wiki? Is it a good idea or bad? Reply and let Logos know what you think.

Posts 2692
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:09 PM

if there was I would want one where all entries/posts were moderated - wikis are frequently abused and misused

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:12 PM

DominicM:

if there was I would want one where all entries/posts were moderated - wikis are frequently abused and misused

That's a fair comment.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:59 PM

A Wiki could work. It's easy to grow weary of typing the same answers over and over - I should just boilerplate and paste.  :)

The last Logos wiki however was not moderated as it needed to be, and was too frequently abused as Dominic stated.  I'd have another go at it though for something like this.  An official faq at least would do a good bit to solve the issues.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:04 PM

Thomas Black:

A Wiki could work. It's easy to grow weary of typing the same answers over and over - I should just boilerplate and paste.  :)

The last Logos wiki however was not moderated as it needed to be, and was too frequently abused as Dominic stated.  I'd have another go at it though for something like this.  An official faq at least would do a good bit to solve the issues.

The ability to always edit posts would help out a lot.  A person could start a FAQ post and add things over and over to the first post, organizing as they go.  As it is now, FAQ type posts get overrun with chatter and off-topic noise since the only way to add info is as a reply (once the edit option disappears).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:13 PM

Todd Phillips:
The ability to always edit posts would help out a lot.  A person could start a FAQ post and add things over and over to the first post, organizing as they go.  As it is now, FAQ type posts get overrun with chatter and off-topic noise since the only way to add info is as a reply (once the edit option disappears).
AMEN!

Hey Logos Web Team, can we do that?

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:23 PM

I'd like both a wiki and an eternally editable FAQ

Posts 81
Smiling Guy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:27 AM

I wish I had read this prior to posting my own topic with the same thread [http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3866.aspx]. Yes, a wiki needs to be added. I wasn't around the last time, but I think this community is currently at the point where it polices itself here on these forums fairly well. As long as you had to have a Logos account to edit, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with outside spam and since most accounts are tied to people's names there really isn't too much of an anonymity issue.

I have been a part of several wiki projects for internal groups (that is no anonymous posting) and then tend to work fairly well. What kind of issues were there last time?

Macbook Pro  |  OSX 10.6.8  |  2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 |  4 GB Ram  |  320 GB HDD

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:33 PM

KevinBecker:
A sale rep told me (as I was upgrading to Platinum) that Bob reads every one of our posts. Bob, you are a trooper if indeed to read everything, especially for this week!

Yes, and thanks. (I've been falling behind a bit, but I'm trying to stay on it! Thankfully many of you are helping me out...)

I agree that the wiki is a good idea, and we'll get on it. We had a public wiki before, but it became cluttered with spam. Now that we have our own wiki engine that can integrate with Logos.com login, I think we can give it another try. (http://topics.logos.com runs on this, for example.)

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:36 PM

Bob Pritchett:

KevinBecker:
A sale rep told me (as I was upgrading to Platinum) that Bob reads every one of our posts. Bob, you are a trooper if indeed to read everything, especially for this week!

Yes, and thanks. (I've been falling behind a bit, but I'm trying to stay on it! Thankfully many of you are helping me out...)

I agree that the wiki is a good idea, and we'll get on it. We had a public wiki before, but it became cluttered with spam. Now that we have our own wiki engine that can integrate with Logos.com login, I think we can give it another try. (http://topics.logos.com runs on this, for example.)

I don't know how Bob has been able to keep on top of the forum while attending to all the other executive decisions that I'm sure were required of him this week. The Logos team has performed well.

Posts 725
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:41 PM

There is one, I don't know if this is the one people say has been abused but when I checked it a couple of minutes ago it seemed okay.

http://sites.google.com/site/logos4wiki/home

Chris

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:47 PM

Chris Elford:

There is one, I don't know if this is the one people say has been abused but when I checked it a couple of minutes ago it seemed okay.

Chris

Chris,

The vandalism issue is from a few years ago - definitely not a reference to this new site.

Posts 725
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:16 PM

Damian McGrath:

Chris,

The vandalism issue is from a few years ago - definitely not a reference to this new site.

I'll have to hang around for a while longer to be able to cite historical references like that Smile Thanks Damian.

Chris

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:24 PM

Chris Elford:
I'll have to hang around for a while longer to be able to cite historical references like that Smile Thanks Damian.

Flee now while you still have your sanity! Escape! Run for your life.....

Posts 725
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:28 PM

Damian

LOL

I think its too late, my chair has only one wheel - according to the picture!

Chris

Damian McGrath:

Chris Elford:

Flee now while you still have your sanity! Escape! Run for your life.....

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:28 PM

Chris Elford:

Chris

Where on earth did that come from? 

.........   Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 725
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:31 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Chris Elford:

Chris

.........   Mel

Mel,

Paul Meathrel  put it up yesterday: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3876/29811.aspx#29811

Chris

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:43 PM

Chris Elford:

Milford Charles Murray:

Chris Elford:

Chris

.........   Mel

Mel,

Paul Meathrel  put it up yesterday: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3876/29811.aspx#29811

Chris

Thanks muchly, Chris!    *smile*          missed it..........   ......   Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 725
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:48 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Thanks muchly, Chris!    *smile*          missed it..........   ......   Mel

Mel,

I've given up thinking I'm Bob and can see them all!!!

Chris

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:49 PM

Chris Elford:
my chair has only one wheel

Might explain why you feel like you're going in circles. You actually are.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS