Personal Book builder on the Mac

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4
Jason Tucker | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 22 2011 12:59 PM

I love the fact that Logos has enabled us to add our own personal libraries.  However, it appears that it only works with .docx files.  What about all us Mac users who use iWork applications for our word processing? We can export our files as .doc, but not .docx.  Is there any word on if the Mac version will accept native iWork files?  If not, does anyone have an idea on how to address this?

Posts 29794
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 1:23 PM

Jason - 

First, welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, Logos is taking advantage of certain features within the .docx file format to create Personal Books. Other users have found success using Libre Office. I am hoping that APPLE decides to utilize .docx, but I am not holding my breath. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 1:49 PM
Jason Tucker:

I love the fact that Logos has enabled us to add our own personal libraries.  However, it appears that it only works with .docx files.  What about all us Mac users who use iWork applications for our word processing? We can export our files as .doc, but not .docx.  Is there any word on if the Mac version will accept native iWork files?  If not, does anyone have an idea on how to address this?

One idea might be to format the document in Pages then upload it to Google Docs and save as a .docx format. I don't know if that would work. Hope this helps! Blessings, Philana
Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 3:23 PM

As an alternate, you can go with Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 because it supports the .docx file format, and the Word for Mac program has full parity with MS-Word for Windows.  This should help ensure your Personal Books have the highest level of functionality.  Check oput this review to learn a little more: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369733,00.asp

Posts 29794
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2011 4:44 PM

Did I mention that Libre Office is FREE? I have Word 2011 (I bought it with an academic discount for school), but prefer to use Pages as well. 

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 10:01 AM

Tim Lord:
Word for Mac program has full parity with MS-Word for Windows. 

Not Quite full parity. Word for Mac (any version) does not render right-to-left text (Hebrew, Arabic, Syraic, etc) correctly. MS claims that this is Apple's problem and they they have no intention of fixing it. Sad

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 11:04 AM

I would love to see Mellel and/or Pages support -- even if it were some kind of conversion tool! You know Word's standard format isn't going to stay the current DOCX schema/DTD and Logos will need to keep up with the MS train (they have enough to do with the mono vm gap!)... why not go to RTF 1.8?

Mellel is awesome and inexpensive ($29 @appstore) with absolutely the best support for RTL, styles,  and Lion Full Screen UI. 

I'd be happy to contribute applescript for both Mellel and Pages to ease tagging. 

Posts 29794
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:51 PM

Mike S.:
Mellel is awesome and inexpensive ($29 @appstore) with absolutely the best support for RTL, styles,  and Lion Full Screen UI.

I've heard good things about Mellel, so I decided to take a look at it. You said that it has support for Lion full screen, but it is not being advertised as such. Do you mean that it can go into full screen mode, or that it has Lion full screen mode... there is a difference. (Word 2011 goes into full screen mode and I don't like it).

Posts 41
Shawn Bumpers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 5:27 PM

Funny that in the promo video for PBB, they show a macbook. Anyway, I do all my work in Pages. To get around the docx issue, I used Pages to export as a Rich Text File and then used Document Orderly Converter from the App Store to convert to docx. Hope this helps.

Posts 7
Bill Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 8:53 PM

Text Edit which comes free on OSX has a save as docx format. Just copy/paste from Pages into Text Edit and convert.

Posts 29794
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:12 PM

Bill, does it do heading styles? (I don't think it does, but i've been wrong before Smile)

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 5:07 AM

alabama24:
i've been wrong before Smile)

Surprise Hide you star when you say things like that Big Smile

Posts 29794
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 5:43 AM

It was before I got the star. Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 8:08 AM

Bill Turner:

Text Edit which comes free on OSX has a save as docx format. Just copy/paste from Pages into Text Edit and convert.

alabama24:

Bill, does it do heading styles? (I don't think it does, but i've been wrong before Smile)

Observation: Text Edit can save as docx, style names are not kept while font formatting is preserved (e.g. Bold, centered).  Pages '09 has styles (View => Show Styles Drawer), export as Microsoft Word doc file, open in LibreOffice 3.4.2 then save as docx (with style names preserved).

Appears Document Orderly Converter is $ 1.99 => http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/document-orderly-converter/id422235937?mt=12 (noticed note about hyperlink and graphics conversion in and out of docx).

Mike S.:

Logos User Voice suggestion => add Mellel support for "Copy Bible Verses"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2011 11:38 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Appears Document Orderly Converter is $ 1.99 => http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/document-orderly-converter/id422235937?mt=12 (noticed note about hyperlink and graphics conversion in and out of docx).

Has anyone tried this out yet?

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 28 2011 9:03 AM

Mike S.:

I would love to see Mellel and/or Pages support -- even if it were some kind of conversion tool! You know Word's standard format isn't going to stay the current DOCX schema/DTD and Logos will need to keep up with the MS train (they have enough to do with the mono vm gap!)... why not go to RTF 1.8?

I'd be happy to contribute applescript for both Mellel and Pages to ease tagging. 

Does Mellel save as .docx files? 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 28 2011 9:40 AM

Philana Crouch:

Mellel has release notes => http://www.mellel.com/releasenotes.html that included "Added support for opening docx, rtfd and HTML (no images)" in version 2.9.0

Current version is 2.9.1 that appears to have many bug fixes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 28 2011 10:07 AM

Philana Crouch:

Mellel exports the older Word DOC format (specific implementation of RTF under the hood)

Posts 2
Robert Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 10:44 AM

The idea of having a mac, is so we don't have to use that 1980's junk technology of microsoft.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 11:37 AM

Robert Miller:

The idea of having a mac, is so we don't have to use that 1980's junk technology of microsoft.

Is your aversion to Microsoft or to the 1980's junk technology?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS