Copying LOGOS4 To Multiple Computers

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 36
Stephen Friend | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:19 PM

Dave Hooton found a quicker way for folks with multiple computers to install Logos4 (that saves downloading and then indexing all of the books).

I also wanted folks to see his steps instead of mine because his is more efficient.

His steps are below. I also made a short Flash video if you wanted to have a more visual learning experience:

The video is at:

http://wczone.com/Copying%20LOGOS4.html

Matthew

Dave's Step:

Dave Hooton:

EDIT The complete process is:

* copy all folders under ...\Logos4\Data\{random}\ from working installation to an External drive

* download Logos4 from 

http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

* choose Custom installation if you want to install in a folder of your choice

* Sign-in and Cancel the download when it finally starts (after some preparation)

* Pause Indexer and kill Logos4Indexer.exe in Task Manager ++

* Close Logos4

* delete all folders under  ...\Logos4\Data\{random}\

* copy folders from external drive to above location

* start L4

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:37 PM

Would this work if I did the same steps but just copied the folders and put it on my MAC? Because I'm using a bootcamp portion to run my program.

Posts 36
Stephen Friend | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:43 PM

Hi Jerry:

I've tried it on my MacBook  on my bootcamp partition and it worked fine.  I have not installed Logos4 into/on the MAC side (just the Windows bootcamp side).

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:02 PM

Well if you do or can will you please post if it works? I haven't put L4 on my Mac side yet because what Im hearing about the downloading process but If I could eliminate the download and indexing and just download the resources and do all the other things you say do above that would be a big help! just let me know. 

Posts 36
Stephen Friend | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:11 PM

Hi Jerry:

For now I'm probably going to hold off installing on the MAC side since the MAC version is still in alpha. Once it goes beta then I'll likely give it a try.

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:28 PM

Matthew Friend:
Once it goes beta then I'll likely give it a try

Me too!!!!!

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:08 PM

I just tried it and it seems to work.

I have also tried copying just the resource directories and the index directories but that did not work.

The key is to copy all the directories and files in the \Logos4\Data\{random}\ directory.

After I copied that, it went through a very short process of the three stage library preparation, downloaded a few MBs of something and now is working as well as it is able at this stage.

Lots of crashing but the library is there and available.

Posts 36
Stephen Friend | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:21 PM

Hi Russ:

I  would assume that if Logos 4 is crashing there must be something else going on.  I've tried the copy procedure on 4 different computers and a VMWare virtual machine without it crashing.

Logos 4 could be more responsive/less sluggish, but performs ok.  It should get better in the coming weeks.

Posts 2174
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:14 PM

The instructions provided here worked well.

My desktop did not have enough memory, so I installed to an external drive. It is working well.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:39 PM

My Windows installations (Win 7 in Parallels 5, XP on Bootcamp and Parallels 5) don't crash.

Only the Mac installation is prone to crash. I think that is just the nature of its alpha status.

Russ

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:03 AM

I tried this method but initially it doens't work, the program didn't find any resource

Then I found this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3629/27866.aspx#27866where and additional step is taken: delete the ResourceManager.db file.

Once I did it, entering logos shows me a message of "Preparing your library', and after a couple minutes I was reading John 1.1

Victor.

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:21 AM

VictorUlloa:
additional step is taken: delete the ResourceManager.db file.

Yes, it's happening about 20% of the time. Should add that as an additional step.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:02 PM

Thanks Matthew and Dave.

I messed it up a bit, but not irretrievably so, and learnt from the process.

I saved about 18 hours of install on my notebook

Posts 99
Brian Kempson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 4:03 PM

Hi Matthew / Dave

I am a bit new to this. Could you give the full path name for the files to be copied so that L4 can be copied onto a second computer.

eg. is it  /Application Data/Logos4  ???   And what does {random} mean - e.g. all files??

The files I have in the above Logos 4 folder are Data, Documents, Install, Shared,System, Users, and the the L4 application itslef.

Is this the correct set of files to copy across to the second computer??

Thanks

Brian

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 4:43 PM

BrianKempson:

Could you give the full path name for the files to be copied so that L4 can be copied onto a second computer.

eg. is it  /Application Data/Logos4  ???   And what does {random} mean - e.g. all files

Brian, there is a randomly created directory there. Copy all the files in that directory path.

See this link for a more detailed explanation: http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 6:23 PM

This is similar to Method 1 but takes advantage of a new feature in 4.0b.
Do not delete the {random} folder itself, only its sub-folders!

* backup a full working installation ...\Logos4\ to an external drive - Understood

* download Logos4 Setup using

http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe - Understood

* choose a Custom installation and uncheck “Automatically Download Updates” - Understood

* Sign-in (start L4 if necessary)
    * Note that Automatically Download Updates = NO in Program Settings (do not change!) - Understood
    * Close L4

* delete all folders beneath ...\Logos4\Data\{random}\ - Understood
    * copy the corresponding Data folders from the external drive to above location - Question 1 below

/ Restoring the Documents folders is a quick way to Sync your data & preferences /
    * delete all folders beneath ...\Logos4\Documents\{random}\
    * copy the corresponding Documents folders from the external drive to above location - Question 2 Below

* start L4 whilst holding Ctrl key and Work Offline - Understood

* adjust Program Settings as necessary - Understood

* if you get messages that resources are not in your library scan the resources folder on your backup
      ie. in Command box enter scan <backup resource folder> +++ Question 3 below

* Close L4

* start L4 normally

Question 1 - If I am only copying the folders below the randomly named folder, why am I backing up the entire Logos 4 folder?

Question 2 - When the instructions say " / Restoring the Documents folders is a quick way to Sync your data & preferences /
    * delete all folders beneath ...\Logos4\Documents\{random}\" It appears I am deleting what I just copied over in the previous step?

Question 3 - Why would I have to scan the backup resources folder if I have already copied them over?

I am not questioning whether or not this method works, nor am I questioning the steps required. I am just trying to make sure I understand the steps and understand why it is done the way it is. I am planning to use this method when 4.0c goes gold to put it on my netbook. It takes a long time to index so this would be a great solution.

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:07 PM

Fred Chapman:
Question 1 - If I am only copying the folders below the randomly named folder, why am I backing up the entire Logos 4 folder?

Why would you not want a complete backup? The extra files is only 100 MB  compare to > 7 GB

Fred Chapman:
Question 2 - When the instructions say " / Restoring the Documents folders is a quick way to Sync your data & preferences /
    * delete all folders beneath ...\Logos4\Documents\{random}\" It appears I am deleting what I just copied over in the previous step?

You are deleting different sub-folders of the new installation. The folder at Q2 belongs to Documents - the folder at Q1 belongs to Data.

Fred Chapman:
Question 3 - Why would I have to scan the backup resources folder if I have already copied them over?

You do this only IF L4 says resources are not in your Library. Scan ensures your resources are properly discovered and it shouldn't re-copy any if the folders are identical.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1666
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 1:16 PM

David, thank you for your help with these copying methods.

Fred, this is the quickest and slickest way to do it (esp Method 2) saving not just hours but even days of downloads and indexing.

thanks folks

Regards, SteveF

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS