Would you spend $1000 for a digital set of commentaries that you already have in hardback?

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 27 2011 5:06 AM

The NICOT/NT for Logos is available for two weeks at what was the pre-pub price some two years ago: $999. This is a great sale, so kudos to Logos for offering it.

But . . . I have almost all these volumes in hardback in my library and am having trouble convincing myself to take one third of my annual ministry reimbursement to purchase the digital set.

I was all set to order these on the nifty payment plan but then considered the whole opportunity cost thing, what I would have to give up over the next twelve months for the convenience and Logos-interrelatedness of this set. So I thought I would lay the dilemma out to the esteemed members of our forum. What do you think?

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 5:22 AM

Many people sell their hardbacks once they get the electronic version. Check out amazon's used prices on the volumes you have, and then subtract that from your opportunity cost and re-evaluate. My guess is that this deal will come around again, but it will likely take at least a year, and more likely 3-4.

Posts 11139
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 5:24 AM

Mike S.:
My guess is that this deal will come around again

That's what I'm hoping for...

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 28706
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 5:42 AM

Bill Moore:
having trouble convincing myself to take one third of my annual ministry reimbursement

Bill - 

You need to be a good steward of the resources God has entrusted you with. I would not want to give you a definitive answer. I will say that if you can afford this with only one third of your annual ministry reimbursement, you are doing well. I remember speaking with another pastor who received only $500 a year

In my mind, any resource in Logos is exponentially more useful to me than a paper copy or other ebook. The ability to serendipitously discover information during research makes Logos resources invaluable to me. Also, the ability to cut and paste passages into a work document is a real time saver. If it were me, I would consider your options with selling or donating the print copies. 

I am disappointed that it doesn't look like I will be able to enjoy this offer. I just graduated, am looking for a ministry, and will need to start paying back school loans in the near future. Otherwise, I would be "all in." Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 6:22 AM

alabama24:

Bill Moore:
having trouble convincing myself to take one third of my annual ministry reimbursement

In my mind, any resource in Logos is exponentially more useful to me than a paper copy or other ebook. The ability to serendipitously discover information during research makes Logos resources invaluable to me. Also, the ability to cut and paste passages into a work document is a real time saver. If it were me, I would consider your options with selling or donating the print copies.

I had many of the hardcover copies, which I sold off after getting the LOGOS version. I used the payment plan, which helped to make it more affordable.
I really love the fact that I can take them all with me wherever I go.  They are available on the iphone and ipad (I have a blackberry and can still read them via Biblia.com).  In my opinion...Yes, they are worth every penny  having them in Logos over paper copies, and I unloaded some shelves. How much is your time worth...having them in Logos makes research a breeze and saves so much time!

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 6:50 AM

Admittedly, I have difficulty letting print versions go. I prefer reading from the print versions and, obviously, appreciate what can be done with electronic versions. Yes, I know, something about "having your cake and eating it, too." Besides, what does one do if the electricity goes out for an extended period of time? Wink I rarely now (I could probably say "never--can't remember the last time I bought a print commentary) buy new commentaries unless they are in Logos.

'Bama, sorry to hear about your student loans. Those things surely bind you after you graduate.

And, too, I need to double-check how many NICOT/NT commentaries I'm lacking to be up-to-date. If it's six or seven, buying the Logos set gets more enticing.

Okay, the Welwyn Commentary Series is about to be "shipped." The seven-volume Baker Exegetical Commentary on the NT upgrade is under contract and will doubtlessly soon be scheduled for release. I still haven't ordered MacArthur's commentaries and other works . . . .  I should have known better than pose this question to a bunch of enablers Smile

Posts 11319
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:01 AM

Bill ... look on the bright side. Resources that tend to be discounted, tend to be discounted again (e.g. the publisher and Logos are likely on the same page).

In my case, I'd looked down my lengthy nose at Anchor Bible for a long time, but now I see the error of my ways. Unfortunately I doubt I'll see major discounting for it in my lifetime.

I was amused as I was reviewing Anchor when I ran into Milleneal Star (my bad spelling) and one of the members was surprised that their a conference speaker had referenced Anchor (Dictionary). If Ben's passing through, 'Hi Ben!'

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:22 AM

Bill, this is a tough call.  In one respect the digital advantage of serach functionality as well as quick verse cross reference accessibility really make it useful.  However you've already made a substantial investment in paper.  As far as the power going out, if you own an Android tablet or an iPad or even a laptop and download the set (which I did) keeps it available nearly all the time.  Keeping in mind that the Holy Spirit would be a much more precious resource to cling to in a power outage study time, I would say jump on a 12 month payment plan and go for it. 

I also agree with your "updatedness" reasoning

Go for it!

Posts 102
jtondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:24 AM

I am in the rock and hard place also, I was going to upgrade my silver to a platinum base package before the discounts expired, but now am looking at This sale as a alternative.  

I hate wanting things, life would be so much easier  if  we didn't. With this, discount upgrades, SIL offer, the nelson WBC that just expired, it has taken every bit of willpower I have.

My problem is I am relatively new to Logos 4 and trying to build my library after investing in another Bible program. I try to prioritize, in this fashion, for the same price how many other books could I get. I would love the NICNT/OT, but f I could really fill out my library with the same amount of money.

I think ultimately if you have the means without putting you in a bind, you probably won't regret taking part in this offer.

PS. What is this strange thing in which you speak of ministry reimbursement (jk) Smile

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:41 AM

Paul Newsome:

As far as the power going out, if you own an Android tablet or an iPad or even a laptop and download the set (which I did) keeps it available nearly all the time.

I've been thinking seriously about the rumored iPad 3 next year. If I get the NICOT/NT, though, I probably won't be getting an iPad or Android tablet any time soon.

Posts 1358
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:17 AM

Bill Moore:
I should have known better than pose this question to a bunch of enablers Smile

We can stop buying more Logos resources any time we want. Wink

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:20 AM

Personally, if I have a complete set of the print version, I hold off purchasing the Logos version. I serve a small congregation and don't get an allotment for purchasing books so anything I buy comes out of our pockets. Even thought the Logos version of any resource is far superior to the print version, I focus on those resources that I do not yet own in any form when spending for Logos.

All of that said, I just spent $600.00 on the "Nelson Bible Reference Bundle" so I am tapped out for the next 12 months paying for that. Sigh! Sad But it is money well spent and I was just showing my wife some of the resources that her early birthday gift to me gave me. Perhaps in about 12 months after I have paid it off the NIV commentary series will be available at a discount again. One never knows.Wink

Posts 897
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 10:49 AM

Me too.

I love books. Everything about books. The look on the shelf, the heft in my hand, the portability, the content, the smell. I love books.

That being said, when diabetic retinopathy started diminishing my eyesight, the size of the font in pulpwood versions began to effect my ability to suck all the goodness from my books, whereas my Logos versions have scaleable fonts AND it will read to me audibly when my eyes give out.  Granted, the current Windows 7 narrator voice (Microsoft Anna) makes my ears bleed (c'mon Logos! Puh-leaseeeee FIX THIS!!), but then again, having my grandchildren try to pronounce anything with more than three syllables either reduces me to laughter or tears.

So!  Yes!! Go out of pocket mate, and forget the ministry budget if you have to.  You already know the set is amazing, that you can sell the print copies if you're strapped, and that Logos versions will revolutionize their usefulness to you.  

How about this if you're married:  flowers (she already knows you want something, but don't tell her yet), YOU cook her favorite meal, wash the dishes (my wife finds that my hands in dish water make me the most attractive man in the universe...), passionate embrace and wait for her to ask you, "what's going on"?, tell her that is just an expression of appreciation for her daily awesomeness and for the amazing gift she is about to give you (Logos NICOT/NT).  Giggle with her, promise that you're reinstituting "date night" no matter what her answer is (and mean it!), you might also consider taking her out to Dairy Queen for a cherry dipped cone.  Naaaaah, that won't work and it feels manipulative, doesn't it?  I just told my sweetie that we could pay for it over 10 months at about $100 a month. She said, "Sure honey, get whatever you want." Man, I love that girl!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 3718
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 11:05 AM

Brother Mark:
I love books. Everything about books.

Yep, me too.  And I have a wife who spent almost 20 years as either a librarian or a student supervisor in a college library and now works as a bookseller in a (the?) major bookstore chain.  As far as books go - we are addicted.

Problem is our budget - there is no book budget from any employer, just our personal budget.  I am still paying for my Zondervan purchases from last year.  I think I will need to wait on this one.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 11:24 AM

Brother Mark:

Me too.

I love books. Everything about books. The look on the shelf, the heft in my hand, the portability, the content, the smell. I love books.

That being said, when diabetic retinopathy started diminishing my eyesight, the size of the font in pulpwood versions began to effect my ability to suck all the goodness from my books, whereas my Logos versions have scaleable fonts AND it will read to me audibly when my eyes give out.  Granted, the current Windows 7 narrator voice (Microsoft Anna) makes my ears bleed (c'mon Logos! Puh-leaseeeee FIX THIS!!), but then again, having my grandchildren try to pronounce anything with more than three syllables either reduces me to laughter or tears.

So!  Yes!! Go out of pocket mate, and forget the ministry budget if you have to.  You already know the set is amazing, that you can sell the print copies if you're strapped, and that Logos versions will revolutionize their usefulness to you.  

How about this if you're married:  flowers (she already knows you want something, but don't tell her yet), YOU cook her favorite meal, wash the dishes (my wife finds that my hands in dish water make me the most attractive man in the universe...), passionate embrace and wait for her to ask you, "what's going on"?, tell her that is just an expression of appreciation for her daily awesomeness and for the amazing gift she is about to give you (Logos NICOT/NT).  Giggle with her, promise that you're reinstituting "date night" no matter what her answer is (and mean it!), you might also consider taking her out to Dairy Queen for a cherry dipped cone.  Naaaaah, that won't work and it feels manipulative, doesn't it?  I just told my sweetie that we could pay for it over 10 months at about $100 a month. She said, "Sure honey, get whatever you want." Man, I love that girl!

Mark, I'm really sorry to read about your diabetic retinopath. Logos is really an incalculable blessing to you.

Now, about my wife. That has never been a problem (over 34 years now Smile) and wasn't when we had even less than we do now, especially what all she went through while I pursued a formal education. But if it were, . . . she thinks that buying her flowers is a waste of money. I am much better off bringing books home than flowers! Cook for her? She's such a fabulous cook that I had rather have her left-overs than eat at a restaurant. Wash dishes? Yes, she'll let me do that. Giggle with her? She doesn't giggle! Dairy Queen for a cherry dipped cone? She would go for that, but I couldn't join her. Triglycerides!

But the stuff Logos has coming. Welwyn. More Baker Exegetical. And those are just pre-pubs that I've bit on, not to mention CP's signed up for. And what pre-pubs are about to be diabolically released? And I still haven't ordered MacArthur. I'm going to do that. Now, what were we talking about?

Posts 897
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 11:46 AM

Bill Moore:

.... And what pre-pubs are about to be diabolically released?...

Talk about diabolical... they hit us with NICOT/NT almost the very second I confirmed my Nelson Bundle (WBC, Preacher's Commentary, etc al.).  I'm so grateful for a sense of humor and a sweetheart (almost 36 years now Smile) that loves to indulge my last remaining addiction.  

And if I were to pray over the diabolicality (under "D" in the Marktionary), it would go something like this, "Lord, please guide the Logos marketing team to only release resources that Bill and I already have for Black Friday, Christmas, President's day, Easter, etc.  We need about a year to recover.  Of course, this doesn't apply to free resources, anonymous benefactors, or giftage because Bob or Dan found this to be amusing."

"I read dead people..."

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 12:19 PM

Amen and amen! That's something like what I told Santiago at Logos yesterday.

Posts 2608
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 6:44 PM

I have a bunch of NIC print books, hardly a complete set. I think there's a time and place for both. Having it on the computer overcomes an enormous amount of inertia to retrieving and flipping and juggling books and then having to clean up and shelve them all. Or trying to figure out where one book is that got buried under some others.

For plain reading, books are perfectly fine. I'm not so sure that's the intent of a commentary which is to be pulled up after you grapple with the biblical text. I once had a bookstore customer who happily read through the EBC. Each to his own. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 28706
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 6:48 PM

Michael Ballai:
For plain reading, books are perfectly fine. I'm not so sure that's the intent of a commentary which is to be pulled up after you grapple with the biblical text.

Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2011 7:29 PM

Bill Moore:
I should have known better than pose this question to a bunch of enablers

This winter I sold about 30 feet of shelf space of volumes I have duplicated in Logos, including NIC, Tyndale, Pillar, Baker, WBC and others. (Of course that money went to pay for the super Hermeneia/Continental Commentary special.)

You can sell your paper versions, although not for all that much unless you try to sell them on ebay individually. I sold my books as a lot to a second-hand dealer.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS