Verse Notes: best way to use them

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:12 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Would some of you proficient note takers explain how you use notes--especially assigned to verses.  I thought one way to use them is to attach salient commentary sections to a verse--does anyone do this?  And what do you do if you find a large amount of text over several commentaries?

Also: How do you handle taking notes for a sermon you are preparing?  what about your research that spans commentaries, collections, encyclopedias, illustrations, etc.?

I use notes extensively.  It constitutes one of the primary reasons that Logos has been of such great value to me.  I have used notes in 3 different manners in 3.0., but until there is a vast improvement in the notes function in 4.0 I will continue to use 3.0:

1. General notes.  This is the only file that I always have open in 3.0.  In it it keep all of those things which I want to show up whenever I am looking at a particular passage.  As an example, in Gen 18.25 I have a note attached to BHS 4.2 regarding the fact that לָּךּ is in pause and therefore appears to be 2fs though it is masc.  Whenever I encounter Gen 18.25 in BHS I am reminded of this fact without needing to open a specific note file dedicated to that book/chapter/passage.

2. Translation:  If I am doing a translation of a chapter or book I will make a note file with each chapter being a separate note and each verse linked to the verse in the original language text.  Obviously this is not possible in 4.0 since it is not possible to link to resources within a note.

3. Commentary:  I am working on a commentary on Revelation so I have a separate note file for each chapter.  Until it is possible to link to resources from within the note as was possible in 3.0 the notes function of 4.0 is useless.

Obviously I don't seek to format these notes precisely as I would if I were actually writing the commentary though certain formatting abilities are desirable (such as the font always remaining as I set it).  Notes are precisely that, not a finished product.  For a finished product I copy them into Word or simply transfer the IDEAS in the notes to Word.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:21 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
I have OneNote and really like its versatility, but I hated toggleing.  If I can "pin" it over the L4 window, that would be great.  More great would be embedding capability of it, or Word or whatever.

You can pin onenote to the top without Deskpins (sorry bob)

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:23 AM

George Somsel:
I use notes extensively.  It constitutes one of the primary reasons that Logos has been of such great value to me.  I have used notes in 3 different manners in 3.0., but until there is a vast improvement in the notes function in 4.0 I will continue to use 3.0:

I did not take many notes in L3. As someone who did, do you see yourself every taking advantage of the combined features of the saved guides and Guide notes?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:52 AM

Philip Spitzer:
I did not take many notes in L3. As someone who did, do you see yourself every taking advantage of the combined features of the saved guides and Guide notes?

I can't answer that since I haven't yet tried using those.  In fact, I seriously doubt that I will ever use them.  Also, I don't know what the "Clippings" function is for though I assume it is for quotations of some resource.  If I have something I want to quote, I put it in my notes.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 33787
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:10 AM

Philip Spitzer:
As someone who did, do you see yourself every taking advantage of the combined features of the saved guides and Guide notes?

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1666
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:15 PM

Philip, I think by "pinning" he means that the actual program acts almost like a Window within the L4 program -- I do not think that he is referring to (merely) "pinning" a start "short-cut" (Bye the way, I do that with Word)

I am ready to be corrected on this one.Big Smile

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:11 PM

Stephen Filyer:

Philip, I think by "pinning" he means that the actual program acts almost like a Window within the L4 program -- I do not think that he is referring to (merely) "pinning" a start "short-cut" (Bye the way, I do that with Word)

I am ready to be corrected on this one.Big Smile

Steve

The button in OneNote in the picture that I showed keeps OneNote on top of other programs. It does not pin it to the start menu.

Posts 1666
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:17 PM

Wonderful!

Thanks

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:54 PM

thank you all for your help.  I have been bowled under by sickness and other things, but am emerging.  Appreciate the various comments from pinning, to George's recent, extensive insight.  Will use them.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to print them.  wow.  IS THERE?  (short of copy and paste each section?  I don't see notefile summary OR "print".  hmmm.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 348
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:21 AM

I would love to hear  more comments on Notes, I've just started Logos4 (long time Ver3 notetaker Smile) this morning and am trying to make sense of it all. Daniel asks about printing, and I have to ask the same thing... do you have to make a Handout and put the note as a handout inorder to print it?

Also, I see that one can put a note inside of a note (haven't yet figured out the full potential of that) while in a resource, but I haven't figured out how to hyper link something from in the note to a resource other then if it's a Bible verse, which gets a link automatically. If that makes sense, I'd appreciate anyones input! Big Smile

Ralph

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:50 AM

RalphMauch:
do you have to make a Handout and put the note as a handout inorder to print it?

Temporarily, yes sorta kinda. Printing is coming....

http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

RalphMauch:
but I haven't figured out how to hyper link something from in the note to a resource other then if it's a Bible verse, which gets a link automatically

You have to make the link in Word, and then cut and paste that link back into the note file. This has been acknowledged as a bug they are working on. If you need help with how to do this let me know.

Posts 348
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:20 PM

Philip Spitzer:
You have to make the link in Word, and then cut and paste that link back into the note file. This has been acknowledged as a bug they are working on. If you need help with how to do this let me know.

Ahhh, now I remember reading that somewhere else, thanks for the response, I think I remember how to link in Word. Taking notes is to me the most important aspect of the whole Bible Study package like Logos, which is what kept me in Logos way back when, but I suppose it will never take the place of a software package like Word... I actually use both, but would rather have it all in one package.

I was just becoming a pro in Ver3, thanks to folks like Andrew who didn't come along to the forum... somebody tell him he's needed now more then ever Wink!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:50 PM

RalphMauch:
thanks to folks like Andrew who didn't come along to the forum... somebody tell him he's needed now more then ever Wink!

We do miss Andrew :-)

Posts 372
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 6:29 AM

I use freeware outliner/organizer KeyNote 1.6.5 (http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote_toc.html).  It has a clipboard capture feature so anything you select and copy in Logos automatically gets pasted in a KeyNote outline.  msWord also has a clipboard capture that can save you from having to toggle back and forth, but at some point you need to go to Word and put all the clips into a document.  (btw - I hope you don't get a popup on the KeyNote page -- I did for the first time ever but you can close it easily.)  Another outliner/organizer is TreePad which comes in a free version and several paid versions.  It has more robust searching.

Posts 33787
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:22 PM

I would discourage anyone from using an outside resource for notes now.  The reason is that the "My Content" feature of the guides picks up the notes which adds a significant additional function to Logos. I used notes differently in Logos 3 than I will in Logos 4 - partially because of the additional items to which notes can easily be attached. I try to use verse level as if it were sentence level putting linguistic considerations, intertextual observations and proposed study questions here. At the passage level, I put similar information relating to the pericope ... but sentences that cross verse boundaries I treat as a pericope because of the way the notes are implemented.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS