Englishman's Concordance

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:12 PM

I do get a yellow bar asking if I want to merge documents.  Maybe that's it.  The OT interlinears are working.  I'll give it some time and see if it starts working.  Thanks Bradley.  You guys are doing a great job responding to all these minor problems.  

Love Logos 4!

Posts 29601
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:48 PM

Bob Pritchett:
With digital tools and reverse interlinears, students who don't know the languages can still work directly on the Greek or Hebrew lemma,

This is actually my worst fear about Bible software. Even before the software, I saw a great deal of pseudo-knowledge of original languages in radio shows, free literature, and homilies. In Graduate school we came up with the definition of knowing a language - don't claim to know it until you read it in the bathroom. (We were talking Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali et. al. but the principle holds.)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:38 PM

Robert Pavich:
Actually, that was George typing with Bob tied up to a chair at the Pritchett house.

:-)

Posts 139
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:41 PM

Here's an analogy that may be helpful. I don't need to know exactly what's happening under the hood to be able to drive my car. But i can also crash it into a tree, so i still need to be responsible in the way i use it. And i still need to understand some basic concepts (like acceleration, braking, and steering) to be able to use it responsibly.

Our tools will not make you a Greek or Hebrew scholar: that requires an enormous investment of time. We're just trying to make it possible for as many people as possible to get as much benefit as they can from the time they do have to invest.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:10 PM

MJ. Smith:
This is actually my worst fear about Bible software. Even before the software, I saw a great deal of pseudo-knowledge of original languages in radio shows, free literature, and homilies. In Graduate school we came up with the definition of knowing a language - don't claim to know it until you read it in the bathroom. (We were talking Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali et. al. but the principle holds.)

All four of the Sunday homilies I heard on my recent holidays made a claim about the Greek or Hebrew 'real meaning' which was completely wrong.

Why do we not have James Barr's Semantics of Biblical Langauge in Logos. One professor at the PBI said that any student who had not read it by graduation should be denied graduation.

Posts 29601
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:10 PM

Sean Boisen:
Our tools will not make you a Greek or Hebrew scholar: that requires an enormous investment of time. We're just trying to make it possible for as many people as possible to get as much benefit as they can from the time they do have to invest.

Logos does provide tools that really help in learning the languages - I appreciate that well enough that I embarked upon Greek and Hebrew this summer. I'm just a little shy of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" stage. It's not Logos software that scares me - its the users.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:18 PM

MJ. Smith:
It's not Logos software that scares me - its the users.

LOL....

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 4:47 AM

It was the indexing.  Interlinears work now.  Thanks for the tip, Bradley.

John

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 2:44 PM

I get 2 instances in Logos 4 using this method and 3 in Logos 3 Englishman's (Amos 1, shepherd)

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2010 3:59 PM

Damian McGrath:

Now that's a great idea for an avatar. Cool Hmm, might have to change mine.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 5:12 AM

MJ. Smith:
I'm just a little shy of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" stage. It's not Logos software that scares me - its the users.

Martha,

I'm teaching (and have been for several years) myself Greek...its' been tough going...

So I'm acutely aware of what you're talking about....basically for someone like me...I stick to what's been said before in reputable resources and don't stray off the path into ..."the REAL meaning is...."

Having said that....these kinds of errors are not limited to the newbie...I've seen the same type of error by people who should know better. We all have our blind spots Surprise

PS: OT but I really appreciate your insights...your a peach.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 2:33 PM

Don't know why I never found this but what a great little instruction set - Thank you Bob, made the upgrade to 4 much mo' better!

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS